Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro CPU Usage 100% at idle

Sandi1987

I have problem with 100% CPU usage at idle since i buy it on Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro. Battery draining so fast especially in games. CPU Usage never goes below 25% at idle. Bad unit or?

Should i downgrade OS to MIUI 10?

That shouldnt be happening. Surely there is an app that is constantly draining battery. Try a factory reset. If that doesnt fix the problem, return it.

8 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

It’s a cheap phone it’s about what you should expect 

No, you shouldnt expect 100% cpu usage at idle in a "cheap" phone, and a fast draining 4500mah battery. You're totally wrong. 

he's trolling again. Noone can be this uninformed and wrong, and be serious with such nonsense. But then again, Trump exists so.. maybe i'm wrong.

@ Thread:

Try closing all Apps, and reboot.

Maybe boot into Recovery and "Wipe Cache/Dalvik".

If it doesn't help, factory reset before you downgrade.

I think that xiaomi allows you to custom rom/downgrade without voiding your warranty, but im not entirely sure.

@Darkseth ....the 10million people that bought the redmi note 8/pro are clearly dumb af.

Hope that's sarcasm ^^

I got a really nice Deal for a Note 8T for my GF (147€ with Taxes). It works just flawlessly, and it does everything she needs it for. No CPU Drain issues, no performance issues, nothing. It just works fine. Battery Life is amazing, Camera is fine for what she does, the non-Oled doesn't bother her.

And i played around with it too. Only enthusiasts/power users like me, who want every single Drop of performance might be bothered by the non-flaggship SoC, or the missing Oled. But else? does everything, 99% of people do with their phones ^^

Stuff like that is most likely an App freezing, and draining battery or something. And that can happen on a 1400€ S20 Ultra too. It can happen on ANY phone, and is never "normal".

Even Apple's magical products aren't free if failure. I paid almost 800 bucks for my iPad Pro 10,5" 256gb back in early 2018. And sometimes, an App freezes, and bugs out. I have to close it, and reopen it, to fix the Problem.

Sometimes Safari bugs out by not reacting. When i reopen it again, all Tabs are gone.

On my Macbook Air 2018, the Cataline Update completely destroyed my System, i had to re-download the OS again and reinstall everything. Luckily i didn't had much Data stored on it, since it's not my Main computer.

During the last year, at least  half of every single MacOS Update had some kind of Problems for some users, and Articles warned.

What i want to say is... Price doesn't matter. A 150€ device, or a 1000€ device. Problems and Bugs are NEVER normal, and NEVER to be expected.
And all of them can have their issues. Even on Apple, which some people might think of as flawless godly products.

Fact is: A tech-product, that no user ever has any problem, does not exist. Period.

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

That shouldnt be happening. Surely there is an app that is constantly draining battery. Try a factory reset. If that doesnt fix the problem, return it.

No, you shouldnt expect 100% cpu usage at idle in a "cheap" phone, and a fast draining 4500mah battery. You're totally wrong. 

25% use on idle, is confusing as it says 100% use at the top but sounds like a 25% baseline and spikes to 100% which if programs are running in the background plus downloads isn’t amazingly worrying. Mid range SoC, fast battery drain on games. Yup seems pretty normal. Issue with having a middle ground SoC is instead of being able to run programs on the low power cores they have to run them on the high power cores instead to keep up which drains battery. Plus for cost saving they’re generally on a larger process node ( the 665 is on a 11nm node vs the 855 on a 7nm) 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

12 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

25% use on idle, is confusing as it says 100% use at the top but sounds like a 25% baseline and spikes to 100% which if programs are running in the background plus downloads isn’t amazingly worrying. Mid range SoC, fast battery drain on games. Yup seems pretty normal. Issue with having a middle ground SoC is instead of being able to run programs on the low power cores they have to run them on the high power cores instead to keep up which drains battery. Plus for cost saving they’re generally on a larger process node ( the 665 is on a 11nm node vs the 855 on a 7nm) 

That still doesnt explain why OP should expect 25% load at idle on a phone that doesnt use more than 5% of battery overnight. Yup doesnt seem normal to me. And you're still wrong about those "power efficient cores". The g90t has a total of 6 power efficient cores.

5 hours ago, EL02 said:

Try a factory reset. If that doesnt fix the problem, return it.

I did Factory Reset and it's the same.

As i said that shouldnt happen. The battery on that phone is supposed to last at least 7 hours. I would definitely try to return it.

I had the same problem with Xiaomi Redmi 8A and it had even higher CPU usage at idle with no apps opened then Redmi Note 8 Pro. I bought it in the same store.

I think it's not OS because i lose 1% battery just in Fastboot Mode after 1 minute. What about bad battery?

CPU-Z screenshot:

EbohhfX.jpg

18 hours ago, Sandi1987 said:

I had the same problem with Xiaomi Redmi 8A and it had even higher CPU usage at idle with no apps opened then Redmi Note 8 Pro. I bought it in the same store.

One of my family members has the 8A and with light use the battery lasts well over two days. Dont know whats up with that. Are you using the original charger?

18 hours ago, EL02 said:

That still doesnt explain why OP should expect 25% load at idle on a phone that doesnt use more than 5% of battery overnight. Yup doesnt seem normal to me. And you're still wrong about those "power efficient cores". The g90t has a total of 6 power efficient cores.

Idle isn’t the same as sleep. 

The G90T is a mediatek chip I’m surprised it turns on 90% of the time. I used the 665 vs the 855 as an example of a fairly recent mid tier and a recent high end chip from the same make with both having the same amount of cores and the sameish ratio of cores.

17 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

The G90T is a mediatek chip I’m surprised it turns on 90% of the time.

Come on now...the g90t is one on the best midrange chips out there with a better gpu than most phones with a sd chipset at that price. I dont know what OP's definition of "fast battery draining" is, but you shouldnt just answer the thread that way because it is too misleading.

Anyway, try disabling miui optimization in the developer settings. 

Settings>Additional Settings>Developer Options> Turn off MIUI optimization.

13 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Come on now...the g90t is one on the best midrange chips out there with a better gpu than most phones with a sd chipset at that price. I dont know what OP's definition of "fast battery draining" is, but you shouldnt just answer the thread that way because it is too misleading.

Anyway, try disabling miui optimization in the developer settings. 

Settings>Additional Settings>Developer Options> Turn off MIUI optimization.

Apart from mediatek lag Qualcomm by quiet a way in GPU power and efficiency. Makes sense it would drain quick. Generally the mid range snap chips are passable efficiency wise, the flagship tier are pretty good then obviously the A series are better but that’s more optimisation and just the power advantage at play. The note 8 pro also has overheating issues which could also explain the battery issue.

As a Side note the 9 pro has moved to a snap SoC, likely due to issues relating to the chipset. 

• 2 weeks later...

3Ei4dvV.jpg

Idle CPU Usage almost always 100%. I think something is wrong with CPU. I change OS and it's the same.

When you take a screenshot, the usage increases(if it was at 100% all the time the temp would be well over 30).

MTK G90T因为制程比较落后,所以导致发热漏电问题较大,目前中端处理器最好的是Kirin 820,它搭载了7nm工艺,而且集成了5G,比SDM765G还要强,但是还没有在你们地区上市。

Staff provided translation:

MTK G90T because the process is relatively backward, so lead to a larger heat leakage problem, the current mid-range processor is the best Kirin 820, it is equipped with 7nm process, and integrated 5G, than SDM765G is stronger, but has not yet been listed in your region.

Edited by SansVarnic