Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Coilwhine Gigabyte 2070s

I've had the Gigabyte 2070s windforce oc since the 3/23. Today I quit back to main menu on tomb raider and realized the card was whining really bad. Loud obnoxious and it fluctuated as I navigated the menu. Tried it in Doom Eternal and again major whine in the menu. This wasn't happening before today. I also checked CSGO which actually had no noticeable whine.

 

What would cause this to start so suddenly? I've played all of these games several times since getting the card.. Should I try to troubleshoot or just return it to Amazon?

 

Other specs: x570 aorus elite, 3600, 2x8 gb 3200 cl14, 650 watt evga 80+ gold.

 

Note: Temps are and have been great on both cpu/gpu.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coils can crack randomly.  Is it still in the RMA window?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Coils can crack randomly.  Is it still in the RMA window?

Amazon says "return eligible through May 31, 2020" Not sure why they give me 2 months but I'll take it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had so many gpu's and psu's whine over the years, it's electromagnetically induced vibration which occurs quite often, it is annoying but isn't usually a problem. 

 

If it annoying and you can return it then why not, you could run some benchmarks and stress test it and look out for any bad behaviour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shlouski said:

Had so many gpu's and psu's whine over the years, it's electromagnetically induced vibration which occurs quite often, it is annoying but isn't usually a problem. 

 

If it annoying and you can return it then why not, you could run some benchmarks and stress test it and look out for any bad behaviour.

Plan is to return it. Its loud. Hard to imagine anyone being okay with their computer screaming while they play games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

Plan is to return it. Its loud. Hard to imagine anyone being okay with their computer screaming while they play games

 

Damn, if it's screaming then get rid.

 

Noticed coil whine from my psu in my gaming rig not so long ago, would be such a pain to change it, luckly with a slightly repositioning I can't hear it anymore. My 5700xt also suffers, its loud, but only in starcraft 2, could have lived with, but it changed it because of driver issues, now it's just used for folding at home.

 

Reminds me also of my hd 4870x2 that coil whines, but it's hard to hear anything over the blower cooler they stuck on them, jet engine status lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×