Could my VPN be restarting my router?

ASWprime

I have tried and tried and I cannot find the source of my router crashing anywhere from 1 to 4 times a day. I have a Netgear Nighthawk r6700(v3) that is about a year and a half old, I have a Verizon gigabit fiber connection, and I use Private Internet Access. When it crashes three or four lights in the middle of the router turn solid white with all the other lights off for about a second and then seemingly shuts off completely. It then boots back up and sometimes seemingly goes through many power cycles over several minutes. This happens in a few scenarios and is not consistent at all, sometimes one of these things will trigger the router to crash, other times it will not.

• Turning on PIA and attempt to connect
  • Powering on any one of the three PCs that I have connected via ethernet to a switch that runs to the router or directly to the router itself
  • Switching PIA to another region
  • While LEGALLY torrenting
  • Randomly for seemingly no reason

I've been troubleshooting this for months and have tried all of the following:

• Giving the router its own outlet (it was previously plugged into a very busy power strip)
  • Moved its position for fear it was overheating
  • Keep firmware up to date (I do this manually, I do not have my router set to auto-update)
  • Factory reset the router
  • Changed the default DNS twice
  • Power cycled it more times than I can count
  • Got rid of high bandwidth use start up programs

Also the router logs have been no help as they just seem to treat the disconnect as a power-cycle and start over when I look at them afterwards. I'm at my wit's end with this shit but I think I have it narrowed down to it being the VPN due to how much it seems to crash in situations surrounding it, or it may be a hardware issue. In either case, is it possible that PIA is the cause? Is there a background service on startup that is causing it? Is it something else entirely? Please if you have any idea, let me know and thank you so much in advance.

No your router shouldn't be crashing because of an vpn but it might be over heating.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ That's my post /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Who is that? \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

2 minutes ago, BrushyYT said:

No your router shouldn't be crashing because of an vpn but it might be over heating.

Any fix other than strapping a fan to it?

is your router near a window/sun

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ That's my post /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Who is that? \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

2 minutes ago, BrushyYT said:

is your router near a window/sun

IMG_20200410_143618.jpg

Does it experience the same issue if you yank power and reapply, going through a few boot cycles, or is it different?

That might isolate hardware (same) versus firmware/software (different).

To your router, your VPN is just another packet.  I assume you just run the client on your PC and don't have a peering tunnel directly from the router, correct?

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

6 hours ago, beersykins said:

Does it experience the same issue if you yank power and reapply, going through a few boot cycles, or is it different?

That might isolate hardware (same) versus firmware/software (different).

To your router, your VPN is just another packet.  I assume you just run the client on your PC and don't have a peering tunnel directly from the router, correct?

It does actually, good idea on that. From what I have seen on other platforms that I posted this question on there have been some instances of what I have experienced. Yeah I run the client on my PCs rather than my router. I'm gonna replace it at this point, I've wanted to do a mesh setup for a long time anyways. Thanks for the reply!

There might be one more thing you could try, since you already have tried a lot. Switch out the power adapter if you can. This could be a sign of your power adapter failing and not able to provide ample current required by the router at high load. I had a similar issue with a Dlink router some time back.. random rebooting. was finally resolved by replacing the power adapter of the router with a new one.