i9 9900k / 2080Ti custom loop temps

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for suggestions as to why my temps are what I feel to be higher than expected. i run a EK custom hard tubing loop

https://imgur.com/a/RwWCYDv - to understand the setup, any questions or if you feel I have missed anything I'm happy to answer

intel i9 9900k - stock speeds/turbos

Aorus Xtreme 2080ti

32gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz

Z390 Aorus master

Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL case

EK stuff used is :

Blocks EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5 - pump/res combo

EK velocity CPU block

EK vector GPU block (GPU mounted standard, not vertical)

2x 360mm radiator top and bottom

push pull running on a 360PE EK radiator bottom and push out only on top SE 360mm radiator

1 Rear exhaust fan - (mostly as the back of the fan looks bad rgb wise, it was more aesthetically pleasing to have it exhaust)

** I use Corsair 7x ML120, as I had other Corsair stuff in my build, and it matched RGB, etc. But I use 3x EK Vardar on the very bottom of the case on the push side of the bottom PE rad as they are out of sight.

GPU Temps are great, idling low 30's constantly and in gaming around the mid 50s or so. Very happy no complaints here. My CPU however I seen in Warzone was going as high as 79 degrees C today. I am aiming purely for a silent set up so it wasn't about overclocking, so I tried increasing the fan curves up and actually tried the D5 on full and fans on nearly full and even then the CPU was still going to high 60's, and 73-75 max in Cod: Warzone.

I have already tried re-seating the CPU block 3 or 4 times, (2 times for various other reasons unrelated to this where I had to drain it a couple of times and switch some stuff out). I'm using Thermal Grizzly hydronaut thermal compound spread out evenly. I initially thought I used too much previously which led to a more even spread before coming back to similar results.

I haven't altered any voltage or anything, although I had to disable some states in the bios because I was getting some annoying whining noises with c1e/c6 states enabled. The high pitched noise was killing my soul so this has increased idle temps slightly, but this wouldn't affect load temps surely.

I get great performance in all games I play at 2k resolution, and like I say although I may OC in the future to give my machine a bit more life to it the main aim was silent gaming in the office in the house I share with my partner

TL;DR - my temps are hitting high 70s at times in CoD: Warzone and one time peaked at 80c, I understand this is a very CPU intensive game but still, that seems really high given my 2x 360mm rad setup?

I would of change the top and bottom radiators, use both of them as intake and the rear fan as exhaust, add 3 fans on the side as exhaust. And a cherry on top delid that 9900k, also remove all dust filters, the do effect airflow

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

1 hour ago, MaratM said:

delid that 9900k

Good luck with that, this cpu is soldered which makes delidding much more risky and complicated 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

12 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Good luck with that, this cpu is soldered which makes delidding much more risky and complicated 

I know, but it is doable, if nothing of the above improves the cpu temp dilid is the last option.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

8 minutes ago, MaratM said:

I know, but it is doable, if nothing of the above improves the cpu temp dilid is the last option.

I would still prefer to have higher temp than risking damaging so expensive cpu

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

6 hours ago, Whiro said:

I would still prefer to have higher temp than risking damaging so expensive cpu

Undervolting and clocking down is also an option, however it is a very time consuming process

I turned vcore voltage down, finally got it stable at 1.28 which may have helped

Actually what I done was really tighter the hell out of the CPU block, previously it sounded like going further may break it but there was still so much more to tighten it would appear.. Even as I was pretty nervous doing it. I used pliers because the heatsinks on the z390 master are so close you struggle to get your fingers/hand in to do it and I really tightened it all up. 

Temps dropped by around 20 degrees now

gaming in valorant is mid 40's max, Warzone is around mid 50s to low 60's and RDR2 was around high 40s ranging to high 50s after gaming for many hours and the ambient temp going up. The EK Velocity block it was weird, it felt if i tightened it more previously I would risk breaking the thread of the screw/thumb screw and it made a horrible noise to indicate you are really tight when in actual fact its really not. 

A bit late to the party, but I have a near identical setup except for a 2080 Super instead of 2080 Ti with similar radiator config and the same case. Good to hear you figured out the block issue. I ran into that too with my GPU block not making proper contact with the die. My temps are also very similar to yours and nothing is overclocked. I am also rocking a 9900k.

GPU is around 50-55c during gaming and CPU is around 40-50c. I run my fans at very low speeds as well because I don't like noise.

Here is my setup:

20200410_012702.jpg

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.