Looking for recommendations for my build

Mesut

Hello,
I am trying to put together a decent pc for personal use. I am a relatively power user dabbling in all kinds of usage. I know that the "general use" concept is the most expensive approach but I can not define my usage as purely "gaming" or "workstation" etc. I play games, sometimes I create small- mid size 3D projects, short Aftereffects or Premiere projects, some C# programming, lots of netflix and also working on my thesis so general text-based usage (this is relative bc. of monitors.) My gaming preferences are mostly MMORPGS (Like BDO), RPGS (Divinity OS II) or games like Factorio etc. I am not a "competitive" player but I also play some MOBAs.

My aim with this build is create a well balanced PC without breaking the bank. I also want to consider some future upgradeability since I don't want to replace my PC every 3-5 years. I prefer gradual upgrades in the future. 

Sadly my current pc is a Laptop, I am badly in need for a decent PC. 

I believe (mostly bc. of Linus's videos about 144hz) I must aim for 1440p 144hz gaming on pretty decent settings (High, not necessarily all maxed, ultra)

I can't give a budget because prices are insane where I am living (Turkey) taxes and currency rates messes up the budget approach.

So here is what I am considering right now

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO: Asus X570-P 4400mhz(OC) -> This is a bit overkill imho, but I am willing to get this to support possible future upgrades.

GPU: Asus Radeon RX5700 TUF33 O8G 8GB GDDR6

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB -> I already have 2 other SATA SSDs to use as backup, and will but an HDD 2TB in the future. For now this should suffice.

Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 120 mm -> Sadly there are no Noctua fans available in my country. Most options are from brands like CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, Zalman etc.

RAM: GSKILL 16GB (2x8) Trident Z 3600 MHz DDR4 1.35V -> ram is another nightmare in my country. I can't find any B-die rams or any great alternatives to this ram.

CASE+PSU: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-Delta | 550W 80+ -> I was going to buy a 860W Corsair VS but again for some reason case+psu options are WAY cheaper in my region so I am somewhat forced to choose this option.

I've changed the PSU to Cougar 650W GS-X and the case to Corsair 110R based on the recommendations below.

Monitor: I am between a 27" LG GL850 IPS OR LG 32" 32GK650F-B VA. This is a problem area for me. Since bc. of Covid-19 I can't check them in real life so any recommendations are much appreciated. My laptop is Asus ROG G750JW and I am happy with its panel quality, but for the life of me I can't find what type it is or even if it is relevant to compare a 1080p laptop panel to these monitor. I am badly in need of monitor advice. Please note that I almost exclusively use my computer in a dark room. Also I am already using a secondary crappy monitor even with my laptop and will use a 1080p secondary with the desktop too.

This build, without any peripherals costs about 2000~2500 USD in my region.

I am eager to listen your advice, how can I improve this build. Is RX a good GPU, can 3600 meet my expectations, about monitors etc.

Thanks in advance and I wish you all the best luck in this pandemic.

When I upgraded from an 3rd gen i7 to the Ryzen 5 3600 I wasn't expecting a huge improvement, but boy was I wrong.  You're going to love it.  I've heard lots of good things about the RAM you have selected.  The LPX 3600 sticks I have where pretty cheap and I've been able to shave a few ns off the timings, don't know if they are available in your region or not tho. 

I personally prefer IPS for it's rich vibrant colors and deep contrast over VA's faster refresh rate, but tearing is a real issue in fast moving games without V-Sync / FreeSync / G-Sync enabled.  On the other hand, a larger monitor is nice for video and coding work.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

Laptop: Lenovo X230 / OS X 10.15 Hackintosh (OpenCore)

F@H ID: Paroxy777

7 minutes ago, Paroxy said:

When I upgraded from an 3rd gen i7 to the Ryzen 5 3600 I wasn't expecting a huge improvement, but boy was I wrong.  You're going to love it.  I've heard lots of good things about the RAM you have selected.  The LPX 3600 sticks I have where pretty cheap and I've been able to shave a few ns off the timings, don't know if they are available in your region or not tho. 

I personally prefer IPS for it's rich vibrant colors and deep contrast over VA's faster refresh rate, but tearing is a real issue in fast moving games without V-Sync / FreeSync / G-Sync enabled.  On the other hand, a larger monitor is nice for video and coding work. Still, I am in a big conundrum about monitors. I believe both options I've listed and most 144hz monitors support FreeSync so hopefully there won't be any tearing issues.

Thank you! I am truly excited about this build too.
Since I always use 2 monitors, I have decent screen real estate. Reviews mostly criticize the VA panels for text-reading etc. 

Edit: The LPX 3600 set is available from some not so reputable vendors from 50 USD or less actually. I didn't consider them because of CL16 vs CL18. Don't know if the price difference is worth it actually.

6 minutes ago, Mesut said:

Thank you! I am truly excited about this build too.
Since I always use 2 monitors, I have decent screen real estate. Reviews mostly criticize the VA panels for text-reading etc. 

Yeah, looks like a solid build there.  Go with the IPS, text looks great and the color accuracy will be helpful in your Adobe projects.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

Laptop: Lenovo X230 / OS X 10.15 Hackintosh (OpenCore)

F@H ID: Paroxy777

45 minutes ago, Mesut said:

GPU: Asus Radeon RX5700 TUF33 O8G 8GB GDDR6

the tuf 3 has big cooling problems. try to get a different model

45 minutes ago, Mesut said:

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB -> I already have 2 other SATA SSDs to use as backup, and will but an HDD 2TB in the future. For now this should suffice.

samsung drives are overpriced. you can get a crucial p1 or intel 660p for half the price, usually.

46 minutes ago, Mesut said:

CASE+PSU: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-Delta | 550W 80+ -> I was going to buy a 860W Corsair VS but again for some reason case+psu options are WAY cheaper in my region so I am somewhat forced to choose this option.

try to at least get a 80+ bronze psu. see psu tier list in my signature for reference. psu's that come included in cases are ticking bombs

Just now, boggy77 said:

the tuf 3 has big cooling problems. try to get a different model

samsung drives are overpriced. you can get a crucial p1 or intel 660p for half the price, usually.

try to at least get a 80+ bronze psu. see psu tier list in my signature for reference. psu's that come included in cases are ticking bombs

I have Sapphire Radeon RX5700 or Asus Radeon RX5700 Rog Strix O8G versions available around the same prices (~100 USD Price change). I assumed since TUF has 3 fans it should perform better than the "blower" Sapphire. Are these options better for heat managament?

I was considering Crucial for their better price but I wasn't sure about their reliability. Samsung were the king of the SSD NAND chips. Is the landscape of ssds changed? If crucial is a viable option I could get a 1TB P1 NvMe for about the same price or cut my expenses and get a Toshiba 500 GB. But I have concerns about their long term reliability etc.

I have dropped the case+psu as your recommendation. Corsair 110R for the case and I am thinking Cougar 650W GX-S for PSU. Are these good choices for PSU?

2 minutes ago, Mesut said:

I have Sapphire Radeon RX5700 or Asus Radeon RX5700 Rog Strix O8G versions available around the same prices (~100 USD Price change). I assumed since TUF has 3 fans it should perform better than the "blower" Sapphire. Are these options better for heat managament?

I was considering Crucial for their better price but I wasn't sure about their reliability. Samsung were the king of the SSD NAND chips. Is the landscape of ssds changed? If crucial is a viable option I could get a 1TB P1 NvMe for about the same price or cut my expenses and get a Toshiba 500 GB. But I have concerns about their long term reliability etc.

I have dropped the case+psu as your recommendation. Corsair 110R for the case and I am thinking Cougar 650W GX-S for PSU. Are these good choices for PSU?

the rog strix will be a better option. crucial is reliable.the cougar gx-s is decent

1 minute ago, Mesut said:

ulan Türkiyede olup pc toplamak zor.

radeon'la gitmemeni tavsiye ederim yalnız. AMD son zamanlarda Intel'i güzel ezdi ama ekran kartında hala gidecek epey bi yolları var.

"i'll advise not going with Radeon, since AMD is crushing Intel in the CPU game but they still have a lot to learn about the GPU thing."

Just now, ephesus.exe said:

ulan Türkiyede olup pc toplamak zor.

radeon'la gitmemeni tavsiye ederim yalnız. AMD son zamanlarda Intel'i güzel ezdi ama ekran kartında hala gidecek epey bi yolları var.

"i'll advise not going with Radeon, since AMD is crushing Intel in the CPU game but they still have a lot to learn about the GPU thing."

What would you recommend instead of RX5700. Also I've seen some compatibility concerns on some AMD MOBOs and Intel GPUs with driver issues etc.

5 minutes ago, Mesut said:

What would you recommend instead of RX5700. Also I've seen some compatibility concerns on some AMD MOBOs and Intel GPUs with driver issues etc.

i'll recommend a 1070ti or better, considering the PassMark Software GPU Benchmark Table;

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

as you can see you have slightly better options like

vega 64

1070ti

rtx 2080 etc..

the price would increase somewhere around 35% considering Turkey prices so, yeah it might bite a bit more cash off the wallet, but having a GPU thats actually good and reliable, is better.

21 minutes ago, ephesus.exe said:

i'll recommend a 1070ti or better, considering the PassMark Software GPU Benchmark Table;

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

as you can see you have slightly better options like

vega 64

1070ti

rtx 2080 etc..

the price would increase somewhere around 35% considering Turkey prices so, yeah it might bite a bit more cash off the wallet, but having a GPU thats actually good and reliable, is better.

Thanks @ephesus.exe!

Should I go with:

* ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5700 XT (~700 USD)

* ASUS GeForce DUAL RTX2060 SUPER EVO OC (638 USD)

* MSI GeForce RTX 2070 TRI FROZR 8 GB (~726 USD)

These are all about the same price. I don't know about any heating issues and/or compability issues with AMD MOBOs for Nvdia. Based on videocardbenchmark I should go with RTX 2070. But are these benchmarks are really that good about reflecting the overall usage of these cards?

@boggy77 If you have some time I would appreciate your help also on this subject.

Just now, Mesut said:

Thanks @ephesus.exe!

Should I go with:

These are all about the same price. I don't know about any heating issues and/or compability issues with AMD MOBOs for Nvdia. Based on videocardbenchmark I should go with RTX 2070. But are these benchmarks are really that good about reflecting the overall usage of these cards?

@boggy77 If you have some time I would appreciate your help also on this subject.

so basically, just like Linus said; "if money is not an issue", go for the RTX 2070 eyes closed.

6 minutes ago, ephesus.exe said:

so basically, just like Linus said; "if money is not an issue", go for the RTX 2070 eyes closed.

Well of course it is an issue, so if I were to look for best price for performance what would you recommend?

Also still I have concerns about AMD + Intel compatibility.

1 hour ago, Mesut said:

Thanks @ephesus.exe!

Should I go with:

for those prices, i would go for the 2060 super. the way they perform, the 2070 is about the same as the 5700xt, both being around 5% faster than the 2060 super.

15 hours ago, boggy77 said:

for those prices, i would go for the 2060 super. the way they perform, the 2070 is about the same as the 5700xt, both being around 5% faster than the 2060 super.

Thank you again. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I think I've found a better options price wise, upon further research.

A Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ Special Edition for (~628 USD) if there aren't any obvious problems, stability or heat wise I think this checks all boxes except the power usage.

OR A Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 Super Windforce OC 3x 8G (~700 USD). 

2070S looks like the obvious choice. But I am suspicious of its low price. Is this specific model has an issue? 
So here is my updated build:

Ryzen 5 3600

Asus Prime X570-P 4400mhz(OC) 

Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ Special Edition 8GB OR Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 Super Gaming OC 3x 8G

TOSHIBA 500GB OC NvME SSD

Cooler CPU: CoolerMaster MA610P

CASE: Corsair 110R

PSU: Cougar 650W GX-S -> Not sure this will feed the GPU properly. Would love to hear some feedback on this.

RAM: G SKILL 2x8GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 MHz CL16

Monitor: LG 32" 32GK850F 144Hz 1440P 

What are your thoughts on this build guys? I am keen on building a "responsive" stable PC with mid to high performance here. Any help is appreciated since I tend to fixate on these things.

10 hours ago, Mesut said:

Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ Special Edition for (~628 USD) if there aren't any obvious problems, stability or heat wise I think this checks all boxes except the power usage.

OR A Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 Super Windforce OC 3x 8G (~700 USD). 

2070S looks like the obvious choice. But I am suspicious of its low price. Is this specific model has an issue? 

The nitro+ is a top end card, literally the best cooled rx5700xt. The windforce is a mid-range cooled card, but it would perform better than the 5700xt anyway. It's up to you whether you have the budget/need for it.

The rest of the build looks good. 650w are enough for either gpu.

How much is the ssd? I think toshiba ssds are a bit overpriced for what they offer. Same question for the cooler. It's a good cooler, but there are usually similar ones for half the price.

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

The nitro+ is a top end card, literally the best cooled rx5700xt. The windforce is a mid-range cooled card, but it would perform better than the 5700xt anyway. It's up to you whether you have the budget/need for it.

The rest of the build looks good. 650w are enough for either gpu.

How much is the ssd? I think toshiba ssds are a bit overpriced for what they offer. Same question for the cooler. It's a good cooler, but there are usually similar ones for half the price.

Thanks! I will go with RTX 2070S and splurge a bit more.

Well the SSD is around 90 USD mark. PSU wise there aren'y many options in my region to compare from your PSU tier list. It is prices about 185 USD.

59 minutes ago, Mesut said:

Well the SSD is around 90 USD mark.

sounds a bit much. i would expect to see 500gb nvme drives for $70