Experience with Gigabyte Gaming Box

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with eGPUs. I'm thinking of buying one for my Thinkpad since i moved it's the only pc i have at the moment. I think the CPU will be able to keep up with a good high end GPU so i've been looking at the 1080 gaming box from gigabyte. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product/situation?

Any info and help is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, TheEpicDuck said:

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with eGPUs. I'm thinking of buying one for my Thinkpad since i moved it's the only pc i have at the moment. I think the CPU will be able to keep up with a good high end GPU so i've been looking at the 1080 gaming box from gigabyte. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product/situation?

Any info and help is appreciated.

Yup I have one.

They are inexpensive compared to other models, so you kinda get what you pay for. The USB ports are unreliable, so plan on using a USB hub. Also, the 40mm fan that comes in the power supply was started making a VERY LOUD and annoying noise after a little while and I had to replace it with an aftermarket model. After replacing that fan (which requires you to disasemble the PSU to some extent) it got a lot better.

The 1080 that comes in there is very quite though, and its still a standard card, so I just ended up taking it out of the enclosure and putting it in my desktop.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I have the RX580 and 1080 variants.

I use the 580 w/ my Mac Mini and the 1080 for portable VR with a laptop.

Both work nicely. Haven't had the fan issue that, @Theguywhobea had, but I definitely see the potential for it.

Thunderbolt itself can be flaky on a device to device basis. One of my laptops never has an issue, the other I have to reboot it a few times, so YMMV.

3P7A8958.jpg

11 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yup I have one.

They are inexpensive compared to other models, so you kinda get what you pay for. The USB ports are unreliable, so plan on using a USB hub. Also, the 40mm fan that comes in the power supply was started making a VERY LOUD and annoying noise after a little while and I had to replace it with an aftermarket model. After replacing that fan (which requires you to disasemble the PSU to some extent) it got a lot better.

The 1080 that comes in there is very quite though, and its still a standard card, so I just ended up taking it out of the enclosure and putting it in my desktop.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I have the RX580 and 1080 variants.

I use the 580 w/ my Mac Mini and the 1080 for portable VR with a laptop.

Both work nicely. Haven't had the fan issue that, @Theguywhobea had, but I definitely see the potential for it.

Thunderbolt itself can be flaky on a device to device basis. One of my laptops never has an issue, the other I have to reboot it a few times, so YMMV.

Thanks for the info guys!