Looking to get into 3D Printing

Hello, so "I LIKE BOATS"-JayzTwoCents and I've been looking to get into a tabletop game that died some years ago called "Axis and Allies: War at Sea". It's a miniature based game with pretty small models, many of which are available to download and 3D Print. 

Here is an example of the kind of scale and detail present in the miniatures:  

Spoiler

IMG_5921.thumb.JPG.aa28ede67fe7243e23dbe5ee6ea0e091.JPG

These models are relatively small, so I would need a printer with a fine resolution and a high quality print head and bed. I have an upper limit of about $300-$350 USD, maybe $400 if the quality justifies the price. This printer would also be a home investment for household prints and tinkering as well, so large scale prints would not be out of the question. 

Aside: Buying a $300 3D printer would be more economical than buying 2 starter packs and 4 booster packs for this game (total of 26 miniatures and 2 maps) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Depending on the size, i would recommend that you get a resin printer (like an elegoo mars or anycubic photon). A filament printer generally can't get the level of detail that you would like for these miniatures. I'm sure it's possible to get similar levels of detail on a filament printer with a .2/.15mm nozzle, but i haven't had much luck. If you're willing to go through the post processing required with resin printing, that would be my recommendation. 

On 4/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, TheNFactor said:

Depending on the size, i would recommend that you get a resin printer (like an elegoo mars or anycubic photon). A filament printer generally can't get the level of detail that you would like for these miniatures. I'm sure it's possible to get similar levels of detail on a filament printer with a .2/.15mm nozzle, but i haven't had much luck. If you're willing to go through the post processing required with resin printing, that would be my recommendation. 

I second the recommendation for a resin printer at that kind of detail level. I have tried a smaller nozzle once on my FDM printer, but it was mostly a pain. It's much easier for such nozzles to get clogged and you'l have to reduce print speed a lot, as only so much plastic can be squeezed through a 0.1-0.2 mm hole.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to third on this one. Get a Mars or something. 

You absolutely can get good detail off of an FDM printer but it takes a huge amount of tuning, and probably spending the same again on upgrades. Although that is part of the fun of the hobby. 

But for ease of use. Get a resin printer, get a UV light and get a cleaning solution too. I use a lab magnetic stirrer and isopropyl alcohol. You should be cracking out ships in no time. 

For your use, I also think a resin printer would be best, since those pieces look easily printable in the build area of the Elegoo Mars or the Anycubic Photon.  I have an FDM printer and while I know I could print those pieces, I doubt they would look good enough to feel happy about them.