Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My motherboard broke, and I can't afford to upgrade cpu.

Just now, Madsaul said:

How future-proof are ryzen motherboards?

Nothing is future-proof, but what you do get is the upgrade path. This year, 4000 series ryzen processors are dropping, for a gaming PC, I imagine the ryzen 5 4600 would be an excellent choice. If anything, the new release is sure to make the last gen cheaper (all Ryzen releases have been that way so far) so the 3600 would make a compelling upgrade option for 144Hz gaming.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It seems I have some research to do. Thanks for giving a starting point everybody. 

You're just trying to have a system to use and get online, and do work (or play games), right? 

Since you're going to be using existing hardware with it, that Ryzen+mainboard for <$200 mentioned above will keep you going until you can get a stronger budget for a nice upgrade later, since you aren't overclocking.

Make sure your cooling solution is compatible with the socket.  I don't know if the chip you're going to buy comes with its own heatsink.

New Mobo for your CPU is the obvious answer, also Ryzen 1600 AF and MSI B450+A Pro would be less than $200US.

Ryzen 3600X, MSI B450-A Pro, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Watercooled MSI GTX 1080 Armor,

Seasonic SSR-550rm, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Rosewill Stryker M

Xeon X5680, X58 Sabertooth, 24GB KLEVV 1600Mhz , Windforce GTX 960 4GB OC, Corsair CX550M