My motherboard broke, and I can't afford to upgrade cpu.

My z170 broke and I only have 200 dollars to replace it. I have an i5 600k on an atx case. Is there any board I can upgrade to or do I have to hunt down a z170?

Any cheap B150 or B250 board will cut it if you don't need to overclock. What speed ram accompanies this CPU?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You can find a good monitor for 200 dollars.  What screen size do you want ?  What resolution you play games at ?  Do you care for IPS or VA or TN ?

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Any cheap B150 or B250 board will cut it if you don't need to overclock. What speed ram accompanies this CPU?

Two 8g sticks of ddr4 at 2133 and overclocking would be preferable.

3 minutes ago, PourTeParler said:

You can find a good monitor for 200 dollars.  What screen size do you want ?  What resolution you play games at ?  Do you care for IPS or VA or TN ?

OP didn't ask about a monitor, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Two 8g sticks of ddr4 at 2133 and overclocking would be preferable.

Are you totally opposed to the used market?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, PourTeParler said:

Sorry for not being clear. My motherboard was a z170. My monitor is fine.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Im so sorry I made a mistake.. Im human lol sorry...  In that case you can buy a motherboard for your CPU for 80 bucks max...

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

I would like new. I hope to pass this pc down when I can afford to upgrade. 

Just now, Madsaul said:

I would like new. I hope to pass this pc down when I can afford to upgrade. 

Are you buying from the United States?

Primary PC:

Are you buying from the United States?

yes. 

You could get the 1600AF+B450 as a upgrade for around $170 if you want to. I personally think it's a waste of money to buy a MB for a dead platform that will cost not much less than a better and newer one that still is within budget.

Just now, Madsaul said:

yes. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&c=110,119

Here are your options for new. Surprisingly, that MSI Z170A SLI Plus doesn't seem like a bad deal, for a last gen Intel board. Of course, you'd be well served by even the cheapest board.

Primary PC:

Just now, KaitouX said:

You could get the 1600AF+B450 as a upgrade for around $170 if you want to. I personally think it's a waste of money to buy a MB for a dead platform that will cost not much less than a better and newer one that still is within budget.

I hear you, but I can't afford a new cpu at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=price&c=110,119

Here are your options for new. Surprisingly, that MSI Z170A SLI Plus doesn't seem like a bad deal, for a last gen Intel board. Of course, you'd be well served by even the cheapest board.

Thank you. I guess I will only need this until I upgrade my cpu. 

6 minutes ago, Madsaul said:

I hear you, but I can't afford a new cpu at the moment.

You said you got $200 to replace the MB, the Ryzen 1600AF costs $85 and a good B450 MB around $100, which you could drop to a decent one for ~$80, should still be under your budget.

3 minutes ago, Madsaul said:

Thank you. I guess I will only need this until I upgrade my cpu. 

You're in CPU upgrade territory with that budget

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $85.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.97 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $229.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-08 17:09 EDT-0400  

Sell your CPU and ram and you've got quite the new system on your hands

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

You're in CPU upgrade territory with that budget

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $85.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.97 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $229.96
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-08 17:09 EDT-0400  

Sell your CPU and ram and you've got quite the new system on your hands

And its not like the ram is required as his DDR4 should work, even if it would hurt the performance a bit.

Just now, KaitouX said:

And its not like the ram is required as his DDR4 should work, even if it would hurt the performance a bit.

Well, if he's got a decent overclock on the 6600K he's already dropping a little single threaded performance with Zen+, so the memory speed would not be easy to justify. 

Primary PC:

Just now, KaitouX said:

I didn't think I could upgrade with so little. 

Just now, Madsaul said:

AMD has made PC building a lot more interesting

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Madsaul said:

Things went well to the CPU market ever since AMD released Ryzen. And with the release of Ryzen 3000, older Ryzen CPUs got really cheap and became a great deal even when they're worse than the newer ones. Plus the peace of mind of knowing that if needed you can get up to 16 cores on the same MB(as long you got a decent one) is also nice.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4 GHz. Is the newer architecture worth the speed loss?

Just now, Madsaul said:

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4 GHz. Is the newer architecture worth the speed loss?

The 1600 can operate at about 3.9GHz (give or take) on all cores when you turn PBO on in the BIOS, or manually overclock it yourself to get close to 4GHz on all cores. This will bring single core performance to almost the same level, since Ryzen has higher IPC than Intel, despite lower clocks. 

And yes it's definitely worth it, two more cores and a really good upgrade path, for a gaming PC I wouldn't recommend anything less.

Primary PC:

The 1600 can operate at about 3.9GHz (give or take) on all cores when you turn PBO on in the BIOS, or manually overclock it yourself to get close to 4GHz on all cores. This will bring single core performance to almost the same level, since Ryzen has higher IPC than Intel, despite lower clocks. 

And yes it's definitely worth it, two more cores and a really good upgrade path, for a gaming PC I wouldn't recommend anything less.

How future-proof are ryzen motherboards?

Depending on what you do you could be getting almost double the performance, or getting slightly worse performance than your i5 depending on how core count dependent the workload is. With luck you can get to 4.2GHz on the 1600AF as it's mostly the 2600 with a different name.

Just now, Madsaul said:

How future-proof are ryzen motherboards?

You can put the Ryzen 9 3950x on a good B450 without any problems.