Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mesh vs APs (UniFi vs. Orbi) in a home setup

JacobBathead

Hi,

I’m thinking of upgrading my wifi solution at home. Currently we’re using a Genexis Hybrid Live! Titanium Gateway (acts as the router and an access point) downstairs which was provided by our ISP, and a TP-Link WA901ND upstairs, however we are getting some dead spots in parts of the house, and the TP-Link access point keeps on needing to be restarted as it has connection issues.

We are thinking of replacing them with four access points, 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs, and have been looking at either Netgear Orbi (1 router and 3 satellites) or some Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE’s. We have ethernet cables that run to three of the places that we would want the access points (one of those is currently hard to get to though), and one place that we would need to use mesh/ wireless uplink. With a 4 set of Orbi’s being £100 more than the AC-LITE’s, however the Orbi’s backhaul connection being better as it doesn’t half the bandwidth when using wireless uplink, which one would be more appropriate for the scenario?

I have also heard issues with Orbi dropping out on certain devices. Is this still an issue?

I lean toward Ubiquiti myself, just because of the feature set (you can tweak and tune more settings to your liking vs a plug and play mesh solution, but it's understandable if you just want something easy to use).

You are correct about Orbi not having the speed penalty because they have a dedicated mesh radio, but for one hop on one UniFi AP, I think you'll be fine.

I agree with the UAP-AC-Lites. Keep in mind that these are powered over PoE. If you don't want to have a dedicated PoE injector for each AP, the cleaner method would be to get a PoE switch (Ubiquiti has an 8-port 60W managed switch) that can support all of those APs.

Next, you'll need something to host the UniFi controller that manages the switches. You can start off with doing so on a PC, but you should consider migrating it to a dedicated network-connected device. I have lost controllers because my PC decided to give up and had to start from scratch. I've since used a RPi but recently got a Gen 2 Cloud Key (has battery).