story driven game recommendations

aBattleBorn

hello guys,hope you are doing fine today.

sorry for my English.

I am looking for new games to buy and would like to get recommendations for some good story-driven games.

I am playing mainly jrpg but like anything with good story.

games I liked for reference: ace combat 7, tales of series, shining resonance, valkyria chronicles.

western releases I liked: BioShock, dishonored, ryse son of Rome, spec ops: the line, vampyr, vampire: the masquerade

thanks in advance.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

have you tried detroit: Become human? 

so far, story wise, the games i kinda liked is some of the assassins creed games (especially black flag. that one is ❤️ and 😭 at the same time)

Metro series where you can change the ending depending on your choices and actions

Upcoming Dying light and Watchdogs where the story, gameplay and character will change depending on your choices and actions

DragonAge series (my favorite is inquisition) the first game , story wise is the best

mass effect series is great too. 

Gameplay wise, Titanfall and titanfall II is ❤️ (i liked anthem's gameplay but it sucks in everything else)

I havent finished control yet so i cant say anything about it

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Witcher 3. 

Grandia 2. 

Ori and the Blind Forest. 

Sleeping Dogs. 

Dust An Elysian Tail.

Mafia 2.

Mafia.

Trails In The Sky.

Transistor.

Bastion.

Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Guild Wars 2.

List of games i've played and enjoyed the story.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Bioshock: Infinite

Mafia

Mafia 2

The Last of Us (PS4)

Metro series

Valiant Hearts

Baldur's Gate series

Fallout

Fallout 2

Dead Space (atmosphere rather than the story)

XIII (based off the comic series)

17 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Witcher 3. 

Grandia 2. 

Ori and the Blind Forest. 

Sleeping Dogs. 

Dust An Elysian Tail.

Mafia 2.

Mafia.

Trails In The Sky.

Transistor.

Bastion.

Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Guild Wars 2.

List of games i've played and enjoyed the story.

some of them seem like right up my alley,thank you.

19 hours ago, MartinKweh said:

have you tried detroit: Become human? 

so far, story wise, the games i kinda liked is some of the assassins creed games (especially black flag. that one is ❤️ and 😭 at the same time)

Metro series where you can change the ending depending on your choices and actions

Upcoming Dying light and Watchdogs where the story, gameplay and character will change depending on your choices and actions

DragonAge series (my favorite is inquisition) the first game , story wise is the best

mass effect series is great too.

Gameplay wise, Titanfall and titanfall II is ❤️ (i liked anthem's gameplay but it sucks in everything else)

I havent finished control yet so i cant say anything about it

isn't detroit become human is ps4 only?

DragonAge i actually own a digital copy for inquisition but never played it yet,ill give it a try.

i never really liked assassin creed don't know why.

mass effect and metro series i think ill give them a chance since the old games are pretty cheap right now.

thanks.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

BTW, I created a similar thread some time ago. Some good propositions were given there ;).

4 minutes ago, Soag said:

Bioshock: Infinite

Mafia

Mafia 2

The Last of Us (PS4)

Metro series

Valiant Hearts

Baldur's Gate series

Fallout

Fallout 2

Dead Space (atmosphere rather than the story)

XIII (based off the comic series)

thank you.

actually i have already played Bioshock: Infinite, good game

ill check out the rest.

1 hour ago, aBattleBorn said:

some of them seem like right up my alley,thank you.

isn't detroit become human is ps4 only?

DragonAge i actually own a digital copy for inquisition but never played it yet,ill give it a try.

i never really liked assassin creed don't know why.

mass effect and metro series i think ill give them a chance since the old games are pretty cheap right now.

thanks.

If i remember correctly. They released a pc version. I think its in epic games.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

I can't think of one for PC, but one that I did like back in highschool was Persona 3 (the portable version) it does have quite a nice story and a linear too, so your choices won't impact the end

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise red as the dawn" - Scarlet Guard motto (Red Queen Series)

Witcher 3

You will not find a better Story Driven Game atm.

Even SideQuests put many Mainstories of other Games to shame.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

if you dont mind the change in gameplay for each one dragon age all 3 titles are great. and dragon age 3's Tresspasser DLC will have you foaming at the mouth after playing all 3 b2b and then seeing the ending of that dlc.

specs in spoiler.

Spoiler

Motherboard

Asrock A320M

CPU 

Ryzen 5 2600X 

GPU/s

2x MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB

RAM

channel 1 Corsair Vengence LPX  DDR4 2133MHz 2x4GB

channel 2 Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz 2x4GB

Cooler

AMD Wraith Max RGB Cooler

Case

CiT Seven

Storage Internal Only.

SSD  Crucial BX500 120GB

HDD Segate ST2000L 2TB

Monitor/s         

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Acer XZ350CU 35" 21:9 Ultrawide

LG UltraWide 25UM58

Mouse

Logitech 203 Prodigy Wired

Keyboard

Logitech 213 Prodigy Wired

If you're into jRPGs, and have an eye on Grandia 2: Try Grandia 1 first. I liked it more, story wise (classic "going on an adventure" setting.

All Final Fantasy games (especially 10 and below).

GBA / Emulator: Golden Sun 1+2 are Gems.

Life is Strange maybe.

Don’t look into this:

spec ops the line

its good. 

Black Mesa (remake of half life 1)

call of duty series is always good. (Modern warfare trilogy not on veteran.) 

Dark messiah of might & magic

Darkwood 

deus ex has good things said. 

Devil may cry is good. 

Doki doki literature club is free & decent. 

Doom 2016 & doom eternal have stories. 

Mass effect series. 

Titanfall 2. 

Dying light 

eye divine cybermancy. 

Elder scrolls games

fallout new Vegas & fallout 3. 

I am playing endless sky right now. It’s not so cinematic. 

Enslaved: odyssey to the west is good but on steam it was terrible frame rate consistency & I felt like vomiting the whole time. Fun tho. 

FEAR

Ghost of a tale is REALLY good. 

GTA if you’re into it. 

Half life series

homefront is okay if you like cod knock offs. 

Mad max

Metal gear solid 5. 

Metro series. 

Shadow of Mordor. 

Mirrors edge 

oddworld series

portal 2

[prototype]

red faction: Guerilla 

resident evil games. They remade 3 which looked good. I liked 5 & 6 but others didn’t. Resident evil 7 is also liked. 

Star Wars republic commando 

System shock 2 maybe

this war of mine

splinter cell blacklist

tomb raider

i was playing this mobile port “the walking zombie 2” which was good but I got mad when I wave defense glitched & stopped spawning stuff. 

Dawn of war (original, winter assault & dark crusade. Don’t play soulstorm for campaign, don’t touch 2 nor 3. DON’T TOUCH DAWN OF WAR 3!)

the Witcher games

wolfenstein the old blood is good. I didn’t like new order (didn’t get far) and didn’t get 2. 

Nier : Automata

Fallout new vegas

Dragons dogma : dark arisen

Tomb raider series

A plague tale : innocence 

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

On 4/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, aBattleBorn said:

hello guys,hope you are doing fine today.

sorry for my English.

I am looking for new games to buy and would like to get recommendations for some good story-driven games.

I am playing mainly jrpg but like anything with good story.

games I liked for reference: ace combat 7, tales of series, shining resonance, valkyria chronicles.

western releases I liked: BioShock, dishonored, ryse son of Rome, spec ops: the line, vampyr, vampire: the masquerade

thanks in advance.

Arkham games, were on sale this week on steam dunno if they still are. Jedi fallen order ain’t bad either 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 4/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, MartinKweh said:

If i remember correctly. They released a pc version. I think its in epic games.

ill wait for it to go on steam for now,its actually seem like a really good game.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, wolfxtr3m said:

I can't think of one for PC, but one that I did like back in highschool was Persona 3 (the portable version) it does have quite a nice story and a linear too, so your choices won't impact the end

i have heard a lot of good thing about this series,ill fire up an emuletur and try it out,thanks

On 4/9/2020 at 10:52 PM, Praesi said:

Witcher 3

You will not find a better Story Driven Game atm.

Even SideQuests put many Mainstories of other Games to shame.

since it is not that expensive ill buy it thanks.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, Ryzenuser19 said:

if you dont mind the change in gameplay for each one dragon age all 3 titles are great. and dragon age 3's Tresspasser DLC will have you foaming at the mouth after playing all 3 b2b and then seeing the ending of that dlc.

i have the dragon age inquisition ill give it a try and buy the rest of the series if i like it , thanks.

On 4/10/2020 at 1:18 AM, Darkseth said:

If you're into jRPGs, and have an eye on Grandia 2: Try Grandia 1 first. I liked it more, story wise (classic "going on an adventure" setting.

All Final Fantasy games (especially 10 and below).

GBA / Emulator: Golden Sun 1+2 are Gems.

Life is Strange maybe.

i actually really like jrpg, ill give those a try,thanks.

i actually thought about buying life is strange a couple of times on steam sales and never bought it for some reason, how would you rate the series?

On 4/10/2020 at 2:15 AM, fpo said:

Don’t look into this:

spec ops the line

its good. 

Black Mesa (remake of half life 1)

call of duty series is always good. (Modern warfare trilogy not on veteran.) 

Dark messiah of might & magic

Darkwood 

deus ex has good things said. 

Devil may cry is good. 

Doki doki literature club is free & decent. 

Doom 2016 & doom eternal have stories. 

Mass effect series. 

Titanfall 2. 

Dying light 

eye divine cybermancy. 

Elder scrolls games

fallout new Vegas & fallout 3. 

I am playing endless sky right now. It’s not so cinematic. 

Enslaved: odyssey to the west is good but on steam it was terrible frame rate consistency & I felt like vomiting the whole time. Fun tho. 

FEAR

Ghost of a tale is REALLY good. 

GTA if you’re into it. 

Half life series

homefront is okay if you like cod knock offs. 

Mad max

Metal gear solid 5. 

Metro series. 

Shadow of Mordor. 

Mirrors edge 

oddworld series

portal 2

[prototype]

red faction: Guerilla 

resident evil games. They remade 3 which looked good. I liked 5 & 6 but others didn’t. Resident evil 7 is also liked. 

Star Wars republic commando 

System shock 2 maybe

this war of mine

splinter cell blacklist

tomb raider

i was playing this mobile port “the walking zombie 2” which was good but I got mad when I wave defense glitched & stopped spawning stuff. 

Dawn of war (original, winter assault & dark crusade. Don’t play soulstorm for campaign, don’t touch 2 nor 3. DON’T TOUCH DAWN OF WAR 3!)

the Witcher games

wolfenstein the old blood is good. I didn’t like new order (didn’t get far) and didn’t get 2. 

thank you very much for your huge list of recommendations,some i have already tried and did not liked, but a lot seem very interesting,i have added a lot of games to my wish list thanks to you 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:55 AM, ItsAcid said:

Nier : Automata

Fallout new vegas

Dragons dogma : dark arisen

Tomb raider series

A plague tale : innocence 

i have a actually tired nier automata and didn't liked it, any way a plague tale seem amazing, ill buy it when ill see it on a sale.

and dragons dogma seem like its worth a shoot.

thanks.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, Lord Vile said:

Arkham games, were on sale this week on steam dunno if they still are. Jedi fallen order ain’t bad either 

i actually have 2 of the game in the Arkham series ,decent games, i really like the fight mechanic and the AI mechanic, ill buy some more from the series when it will go on sell.

as for jedi fallen order it is actually on my wish list but it way to expensive right now. ill have to wait a couple month to buy it in a decent price.

thank for your help

• 4 weeks later...

My friend Pedro

Metro Franchise

Witcher

South Park Games :P

What remains of Edith Finch

Hellblade series

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist