Cpu vs gpu on a laptop, which is better ?

Hi, I was wonder if I should choose either the CPU or GPU for folding@home

I'm using my old laptop for this, It's an Asus X550CC

Cpu: core i5-3337U

GPU: Nvidia GT 720M 

Currently folding with the cpu at light settings (it's a laptop in my bedroom and I don't want it to make lound sound at night) now as it got a job before the GPU... I believe the gpu would be Idle most of the time as it would always use the Igpu for videos 

Also how do I set-up a webUi for it so that I can manage it instead of looking at the laptop screen itself? 

4 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Hi, I was wonder if I should choose either the CPU or GPU for folding@home

I'm using my old laptop for this, It's an Asus X550CC

Cpu: core i5-3337U

GPU: Nvidia GT 720M 

Currently folding with the cpu at light settings (it's a laptop in my bedroom and I don't want it to make lound sound at night) now as it got a job before the GPU... I believe the gpu would be Idle most of the time as it would always use the Igpu for videos 

Also how do I set-up a webUi for it so that I can manage it instead of looking at the laptop screen itself? 

gpus are MUCH-MUCH better in terms of calculations per second(i know its not the correct way to say it but idc) so if you wanna use only one of  the components for folding then you should definitely use the gpu, of course the best case scenario would be to use both components for folding(just sayin)

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

gpus are MUCH-MUCH better in terms of calculations per second(i know its not the correct way to say it but idc) so if you wanna use only one of  the components for folding then you should definitely use the gpu, of course the best case scenario would be to use both components for folding(just sayin)

CPU's do not fold well and is a waste electricity.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

das what im saying

25 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

26 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

27 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Usually GPUs are more effective in F@H whereas BOINC is more CPU intensive

Currently my gpu is on waiting Idle(light settings) and haven't got a job for it for hours while my cpu is folding

I do see that there's a work queue and switching to full power doesn't seem to do anything for the GPU 

image.png.68fc5867d36a1228f6be0eda2d0d8bf2.png

You should also be aware of the thermals. Not all laptops are capable of handling the heat from both CPU and GPU folding at the same time. I have three laptops that act differently:

• One of them overheats to the point it shuts down hard (100C), and takes the work unit with it.
  • Two laptops automatically under clock themselves to maintain safe thermals, or power draw, to the point that PPD takes a significant hit. One of the laptops would even stay at the bare minimum of 800MHz while the GPU is in use. This is a laptop that is advertised as 2.5GHz with a 3.7GHz turbo clock.

I would suggest keeping tabs on your CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as the points they generate to see if it is worth having both of them fold at the same time.

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

1 hour ago, CWP said:

You should also be aware of the thermals. Not all laptops are capable of handling the heat from both CPU and GPU folding at the same time. I have three laptops that act differently:

• One of them overheats to the point it shuts down hard (100C), and takes the work unit with it.
  • Two laptops automatically under clock themselves to maintain safe thermals, or power draw, to the point that PPD takes a significant hit. One of the laptops would even stay at the bare minimum of 800MHz while the GPU is in use. This is a laptop that is advertised as 2.5GHz with a 3.7GHz turbo clock.

I would suggest keeping tabs on your CPU and GPU temperatures, as well as the points they generate to see if it is worth having both of them fold at the same time.

Wanted to have either one of them to fold at a time... since the cpu got it 1st so I let it fold on  light settings

but unfortunately, the laptop hangs a few times after I install the FOH software on it so I had to disable it.... maybe I would get better luck with gpu but it isn't getting any job