Is Sata 3.0 same as PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3?!?!?!

Hi guys, so I'm trying to figure out what is sata 3.0 and pcie gen 3.0x4 is for, can someone clarify? I'm actually confused with both of them. I'm trying to get a ASRock x570 pro4, and i used google find on the page and typed "nvme" or "pcie" but it just show other things. I'm trying to get a Corsair mp600 m.2 ssd. And I'm using the sata for a ARGB and PWM hub so I'm quite confused. Or is it that the motherboard i chose doesn't even have a Sata 3.0 connector? Or is it that the Sata connector is not even on the motherboard? Can someone help me? Thank you!

1 minute ago, DarkMedic said:

pcie gen 3.0x4 is for

gpus and m.2ssd's

2 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

s sata 3.0

sata ssd's and hdd's and some peripherals

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

sata ssd's and hdd's and some peripherals

sata ssd? do you mean by the 2.5" ssd? and is the sata cable connected from the psu to other connectors?

4 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

Is Sata 3.0 same as PCIe Gen 3.0 x4

No, they are not the same thing at all.

Or is it that the motherboard i chose doesn't even have a Sata 3.0 connector?

Your mobo has 8 SATA3 - connectors.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Your mobo has 8 SATA3 - connectors.

wait, so I'm connecting the sata cable to the pwm and argb hub, so it connects from the motherboard or the psu? btw what is the difference between sata and sata3.0??

Just now, DarkMedic said:

wait, so I'm connecting the sata cable to the pwm and argb hub, so it connects from the motherboard or the psu?

No, you are connecting SATA power to it. Not SATA data. Power, obviously, comes from the PSU.

1 minute ago, DarkMedic said:

btw what is the difference between sata and sata3.0??

There are SATA1, SATA2 and SATA3. Rather obviously, the difference is in speed -- the bigger the number, the faster it is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

an by the 2.5" ssd?

yes

and is the sata cable connected from the psu to other connectors?

sata cable to psu to ssd/hdd/other.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Power, obviously, comes from the PSU.

So we connect the sata either 1.0 2.0 or 3.0 from the PSU to the hub in my case?

you put the other end of your sata cable in the psu, and the other end of the sata cable to your hub.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

the bigger the number, the faster it is.

Wait, so do i connect from the motherboard or the PSU? or do they both have sata3 ?

So we connect the sata either 1.0 2.0 or 3.0 from the PSU to the hub in my case?

No, there is the SATA power-connector that you connect to the hub, like I already said. There is no SATA1-power, or SATA2-power, or SATA3-power -- there is just SATA-power. Those speed-ratings are for data, not power, and data, obviously is connected to the mobo.

there is the SATA power-connector that you connect to the hub,

Wait, so where do i connect the SATA power-connector from?

Wait, so where do i connect the SATA power-connector from?

Oh, for the love of God. I already told you a couple of times and even just the word "power" should tell you where it is. Where does a PC get power from? The PSU, or the power-supply.

Oh, for the love of God. I already told you a couple of times and even just the word "power" should tell you where it is. Where does a PC get power from? The PSU, or the power-supply.

So i can either connect the sata from the psu or the motherboard to the hub?

12 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

So i can either connect the sata from the psu or the motherboard to the hub?

The sata port on your motherboard is a data port. A sata connector on your power supply is for power.

If your are talking about a rgb hub they are just powered by sata. They have nothing to do with the sata ports on your mobo.

The two different sata ports are physically different. You wouldnt even be able to hook a rgb hub to a mobos sata port if you tried.

Also anything you buy will have a manual. Read them carefully and you will have no issues.

SATA is a connector for mechanical drives and SSD drives which is capable of maximum ~ 560 MB/s

SATA 1.0 (1.5gbps) was capable of maximum ~ 130 MB/s

SATA 2.0 (3gbps) was capable of maximum ~ 270 MB/s

SATA 3.0 (6gbps) was capable of maximum ~ 560 MB/s

Sata connectors are these  (data and power )

image.png.04dec84113444174b619225e4f6ae4b1.png

image.png.90dd345a1576bfb6b5ed38cba1b03dd1.pngimage.png.96180525837a61dad178367fb9ad7e8d.png

M.2 connectors are those wide connectors on the motherboard in which you can plug directly a M.2 SSD  :

image.png.b06e133c55f9cb4c7db6a51062b7e917.png

The M.2 connector is a sort of universal connector ... it contains contacts for pci-e lanes, it contains contacts that can behave like the contacts in a SATA connector on the motherboard, and it also contains contacts that can be used like USB connectors.

M.2 storage drives can be of two types ... well, three, but whatever... they can use either the old SATA protocol using the contacts in the connector that behave like a SATA connector, or they can use only the contacts that connect pci-e lanes to the connector , or the SSD controller on the M.2 storage can use BOTH, and picks the best option depending on what's available on the motherboard.

The cheaper M.2 SSDs are SATA only (you may see the work AHCI on them) - this means that the M.2  SSD must be plugged into a m.2 connector which has the SATA part functional (not all M.2 connectors on the motherboard are guaranteed to have sata part connected to it) and your speeds will be limited to maximum 6 gbps ( approx. 560 MB/s)

If you want M.2 SSD drives that use pci-e lanes, you have to look for the keyword  nvme in the text, description or on the SSD itself.

A nvme drive will only work in a M.2 connector that has pci-e lanes (which supports nvme).... usually the closest m.2 to cpu socket is nvme enabled, the others are not guaranteed.

On some motherboards the 2nd M.2 connector is either SATA only or shares pci-e lanes with a pci-e slot, so if you have a card installed in a pci-e slot (not the video card slot), that m.2 connector may be sata only, the nvme part may be disabled because there's no pci-e lanes available to enable it.

On some motherboards the second m.2 connector has only 2 pci-e lanes, which means that even if you buy a nvme pci-e x4 SSD, you would be limited to using 2 pci-e lanes for it, so you'll get only 2 x 500 MB/s (if it's pci-e 2.0) or 2 x 970 MB/s (if it's pci-e 3.0)

The nvme drive can also be nvme pci-e x2 only, because it uses a cheaper controller which can only use 2 pci-e lanes... so even if you buy a high end motherboard that's let's say pci-e 4.0, capable of 4 x ~1900 MB/s , your SSD will only use 2 out 4 pci-e lanes to communicate.