Ryzen 3800x with stock Prism Wraith cooler - serious temp. issues

ecopsorn

Hi guys

I've completed the following build a couple of weeks ago:

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (AM4, 3.90GHz, 8-Core)
ASUS Rog Strix X570-E Gaming (AM4, AMD X570, ATX)
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070S Windforce OC (8GB)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280)
Corsair Crystal 570X RGB
2x Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB (120mm, 3x)
Corsair Commander Pro (External, 6x)
Corsair RM850 *2019* (850W)

I've installed the stock Prism Wraith cooler and the temps seem really bad. The CPU temp is jumping between 55-65°C when idle! Frequency goes from 3850 to 4400 constantly as well. So first off, I don't have any OC's applied, just PBO enabled. By reading various OC forums about the Ryzen 3800X it looks like OC'ing this processor is not worth it because PBO is very good. But can somebody explain a AMD noob why the ... a CPU has the desire to boost every second to 4.4GHz when IDLE??? This is beyond me lol. I build computers only every 4 years or so, so I'm a noob, but I've really never seen such a thing, but apparently it is normal?

Back to the temps:

55-65°C idle

70-75°C playing SC2 for 3 hours (mostly hovering about 71°C and maxing 85°C once according to HWInfo.

When stress testing - up to 95°C within seconds - so I never really bothered stress testing...

GPU sits nicely at 54°C

And here are some other temps, at idle while I'm typing this and have 3 browser tabs open on 3 monitors (HWinfo64 - 6.24). Btw. no idea what Temp 2-5 are, but 2 and 5 also seem high.

image.png.911477a6ce155292d44540bf60396ee4.png

Regarding case fans. I have a positive pressure setup. 3x Corsair QL 120 intake fans pushing 30rpm higher than the 3x Corsair QL 120 exhaust fans. They run at around 800-900rpm if all is normal.

Temp readings of the installed commander pro probes also look very normal. (Mod case around 40°C and upper case around 42°C).

So yes, why I came to this forum is to seek your advice. First off, the cooler is driving me nuts. I love the small form factor and RGB, but it is sooo loud. at idle it is constantly around 2000rpm and keeps spinning up and down. I did fiddle with the fan curve and can of course avoid that said jumping around, but with my already off the charts temps, I cannot put the fan curve even lower, so I left it stock.

Obviously I'm already considering the switch to another cooler, be it AIO or the big NH D15, but to be honest, if I can get it handled with the prism to get decent temps, I'd rather keep it and adjust the fan curve.

What would be my next step? Could it be a Bios setting I missed? Should I try to remove the cooler and put on new paste (I went with the pre-applied one)? If you think that's also not worth it than my next question would be regarding the cooler replacement.

Would you go with a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax or the Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT (360)? I would like to get a quite setup, at least when idle. The Noctua would likely be quiter but would seriously mess up my RGB. I'd likely even have to remove the rear fan. The H150 is cool from an RGB point of view, but I'm not sure about the noise and the potential leaking the some users report.

Hope somebody can help me figure out why the temps are so high and if it's necessary on a cooler replacement.

Cheers, ecopsorn

From my understanding, that's pretty common for the stock cooler.  Those are all very safe temps though, except the stress test obviously red lined it because that's what they do. 

You could try undervolting your CPU and be sure to watch this video.  

This video is gold! Got a lot to do, glad that the temps are not too worrying but to be honest, the noise is of the most concern.

11 hours ago, ecopsorn said:

The CPU temp is jumping between 55-65°C when idle! Frequency goes from 3850 to 4400 constantly as well

Sounds like your cpu is not idling like it should, change the power plan in windows from high performance to balanced and see if there is any difference.

11 hours ago, ecopsorn said:

70-75°C playing SC2 for 3 hours (mostly hovering about 71°C and maxing 85°C once according to HWInfo.

This temps sounds like completely normal, still a bit high but not too bad considering you using stock cooler.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

I've had that issue on Rayzen 7 3700X, seems this CPUs are known for it is high voltage usage.

I replaced my stock cooler with Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M, didn't reduce the idle temps but reduced when stress testing or when I game.

1 hour ago, ecopsorn said:

This video is gold! Got a lot to do, glad that the temps are not too worrying but to be honest, the noise is of the most concern.

Yeah it was great.  I used the one he posted about the Aorus BIOS from Gigabyte and my system has run so much more stable and quieter since.  I have an all core static OC at 4.325 Ghz going on my 3700x, and it's a terror.

The sound of that fan could be nasty.  It would really depend on if you want to go Air or Water cooled.  Water is traditionally considered to be quiet, but you can get things like that BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, it's like $90, and it just pops on just like your current cooler.  Going with Water cooling using an AIO is a little bit more work, but they tend can be a little quieter overall.  You do run the risk of hearing the pump though, and while it might not be as loud as a typical fan, it's higher pitch so it can cut through a bit.  AIO's tend to cost a little bit more, and you'll need to make sure you have space for the Radiator in your case.  

Every build I've done for myself I've used an AIO, for no other reason other than I think they look cooler. ha.  I've done a few builds for friends, and used a Dark Rock Pro 4 on one of them and I was very pleased with how it looked and it was super easy to put on. 

PBO is like an additional overclock (more then just boosting up under load and downclocking with no load)  if there is power and temperature headroom I'd say. So the CPU is overclocking itself based on some values with the software regulating the voltage on its own. Keep an eye on that voltage, high voltage means higher temperature even when there is no load. 
Dont know how that procedure changed with the 3xxx versions but enabling PBO on the Ryzen 2600 with stock cooler gave me 50°C+ idle too and 95°C under full load cause the voltage it got supplied with was higher then needed to ensure stability. 
Manual overclocking ( which you dont need with 3xxx series ) and changing to a Dark Rock 4 ( 45€ ) solved everything. Idling at 30°C ( dependant on room temp. ) to 38°C with gaming load temperature of 50-55°C ( Full benchmark load temp = 64°C). 

5 hours ago, Whiro said:

Sounds like your cpu is not idling like it should, change the power plan in windows from high performance to balanced and see if there is any difference.

This temps sounds like completely normal, still a bit high but not too bad considering you using stock cooler.

Already have the balanced one unfortunately

13 minutes ago, C17H23NO2 said:

PBO is like an additional overclock (more then just boosting up under load and downclocking with no load)  if there is power and temperature headroom I'd say. So the CPU is overclocking itself based on some values with the software regulating the voltage on its own. Keep an eye on that voltage, high voltage means higher temperature even when there is no load. 
Dont know how that procedure changed with the 3xxx versions but enabling PBO on the Ryzen 2600 with stock cooler gave me 50°C+ idle too and 95°C under full load cause the voltage it got supplied with was higher then needed to ensure stability. 
Manual overclocking ( which you don't need with 3xxx series ) and changing to a Dark Rock 4 ( 45€ ) solved everything. Idling at 30°C ( dependent on room temp. ) to 38°C with gaming load temperature of 50-55°C ( Full benchmark load temp = 64°C).

But if I still want PBO but still lower temps and better fan noise, I don't have another choice than replacing that stock cooler right?

@all - after applying the settings from the video, I don't see the same performance increases as this guy. Here are my results before (AUTO) and after (like in video) PBO settings: Bench Comparison - also my values are so much lower than the values of the guy in the video. Is it cause of the ram (only have 3200 ones)?

I can do some more tests if it helps.

use a -0.05v cpu voltage offset.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, xg32 said:

use a -0.05v cpu voltage offset.

Did that, what should it achieve - lower temps? I don't see a difference but got a worse result in cinebench (4292pts)

Voltage offset is used to lower temps cause less voltage goes to the CPU. 
But I think in this case it limits the PBO so it doesnt Boost as high as before what results in a worse score. 

Yes, for normal overclocking you also want a better cooler then the stock one. PBO is kind of overclocking so you'd want a better cooler cause of more heat.  

Hey all, I went ahead and ordered the Noctua NH-D15 Chromax. Hope that beast fits haha.

I still don't know though, whether it is normal that I didn't really gain a performance increase by changing the PBO settings as suggested in the video of the second post.

These are still my results. Could anyone have a look and tell me if that's normal?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x on an Asus TUF x570 plus WiFi chambered in an NZXT 510 Elite case. I've been using the stock Wraith Prism cooler for the last month and a half since I bought these parts. OP is right. The jumping up and revving down of both the CPU temp and cooling fan motor is quite annoying. I just picked up an NZXT Kraken 280 x63 yesterday. The jumping continues. Same pace, too. No OC. With or without XMP. Idle. Still rocking between 43-59c I'm those jumps. The bigger difference now is the noise level is.. well, quieter. I also see something interesting:

AMD Master reports a steadier temp (at the low end) than any other monitoring software (CAM, CoreTemp, HW Info, etc..). Ryzen Master is either lying through its code, or something else is happening. My Wraith fans were connected through the NZXT hub, but I also tried CPU_0 and CPU_ALT. Same story. It's revving up and slowly stepping down  at 0-1% CPU load (no jumps on any cores). Ryzen has apparently had this "problem" with Ryzen forever. Some say it's "normal". In BIOS, I've changed the down step to 8.something seconds so my CPU fans don't have a chance to ramp down. This doesn't change the numbers reported for temps, but does rid the annoyance of speed ups and downs from my CPU fans. 

• 8 months later...

If you want to replace the prism with a liquid cooler, I'd go with the Be Quiet! Pure Loop.  The 240mm is $95 and the 280mm is $105.  The build quality is good and it has a refill port.  It drives me nuts that most AIOs don't have any way to refill.  I just ordered my 3800x (since 5000 series processors might as well not exist), and I'm wondering if the wraith prism will keep it cool enough.  I bought it used on ebay and the previous owner never used the stock cooler, so it still has the original thermal paste.  I don't trust it, so I ordered some Corsair TM30 to replace it.  Can thermal paste still work properly after sitting exposed for a year or two?

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2020 at 11:28 AM, ecopsorn said:

Hey all, I went ahead and ordered the Noctua NH-D15 Chromax. Hope that beast fits haha.

I still don't know though, whether it is normal that I didn't really gain a performance increase by changing the PBO settings as suggested in the video of the second post.

These are still my results. Could anyone have a look and tell me if that's normal?

well i used to get those temps even with my water cooler although its not a big money water cooler but anyways i had to disable turbo boost because since im able to reach 4ghz my motherboard VRM makes coil whine. and its annoying so i disabled turbo boost and im locked at 3.90 or 3.85 so i don't hear the sound anymore but im only doing 1080p gaming at 60 fps so i don't see any issues besides higher CPU usages and lower temps even with a stress test and caming i don't reach 60c yet lol so i guess there is 2 good things about it but that was my only fix since i can't RMA the board or get a new one this is with water cooling i would like to know how it is with the stock cooler with out turbo boost but i  don't wanna take it apart again lol image.thumb.png.00e75de3aa2add53f3745d31748f130d.png