More details on 15-Core Xeon E7 Ivy Town Processors

TOMPPIX

Some new details emerged on the Intel 15-core server chip code-named Ivytown. According to information provided, the processor will be based on Intels Haswell Predecessor – Ivybridge and will be called the “Xeon E7 Ivytown”. Intel confirmed that it will release a 15-core server chip code-named Ivytown, which will be based on the Ivy Bridge architecture. It will be called Xeon E7-8800v and is made for business servers.

The chip is a 15-core model (64-bit Ivy-Bridge cores), which means that the system can have a whopping 30 threads, thanks to Hyper-Threading technology. The cache memory is jawbreaking at 35.7 MB (shared L3 cache). There will be 40 PCI Express lanes (2.5/5.0/8.0Gbps), four direct media interface (DMI) lanes (2.5/5.0Gbps), and 60 QPI lanes (6.4/7.2/8.0Gbps) for connecting with other CPUs in a server/ data center.

intel_ivy_town_15_core_xeon_e7_processor

The two DDR3 memory controllers each have two memory channels with 800MT/s – 1867MT/s effective frequencies (normal DDR3 modules) or 2667MT/s speeds (to connect to a memory extension buffer using voltage-mode single-ended / VMSE interface). Furthermore, the Intel Xeon E7-8800v2 Ivy Town CPU boasts multiple system topologies and frequencies of 1.4 to 3.8GHz, with TDP going from 40W to 150W.

intel_ivy_town_15_core_xeon_e7_processor

I want you to take me to *dun du-dun* IVY TOWN!!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

If only we had something like this for consumer market.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If only we had something like this for consumer market.

We do. We can buy Xeons but the question is: Can we have Unlocked/Cheap 15 cores?

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Something tells me this will be the kind of thing you need for a Star Citizen server.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Something tells me this will be the kind of thing you need for a Star Citizen server.

Nah. More cores and m-m-more JIGAhertz

Nah. More cores and m-m-more JIGAhertz

Woah this CPU has lots of both of those! I bet this would perform more than 3x better at BF4 than an i5!

Woah this CPU has lots of both of those! I bet this would perform more than 3x better at BF4 than an i5!

Probably not. I doubt ANY game can take advantage of 15 cores.

Probably not. I doubt ANY game can take advantage of 15 cores.

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

But in seriousness it will be awesome when games can take advantage of lots of threads.

[sarcasm][/sarcasm]

But in seriousness it will be awesome when games can take advantage of lots of threads.

Sorry, it's hard over the internet to tell when somebody is being sarcastic. 

In a matter of time though, it shall happen! I'll be playing Star Citizen: 4 on my 25 core i5 processor 

Sorry, it's hard over the internet to tell when somebody is being sarcastic. 

In a matter of time though, it shall happen! I'll be playing Star Citizen: 4 on my 25 core i5 processor 

If only Intel actually tried these days :(

If only Intel actually tried these days :(

I am sure that they try very hard to develop new things. They just don't give it to us ;(