Buy RTX 2080 ti now or wait till the new generation?

MoeKeshk

Hey first time here, long time fan of LLT

since we are at the midst of a new generation of consoles releasing this holiday season (with some beafy specs i might add). 

A - whats it the PC GPU equivalent to the xbox series X and PS5?

B - all this talk about teraflops, is buying an rtx 2080 ti a right move now or wait till the new gen is released (3080 ti ?)?

I am an enthusiast and specs nerd haha. i just upgraded my pc last year to ryzen 2700 and rtx 2070 with 32 ddr4z. I dont want to buy both consoles so i though i would upgrade my pc this year again and buy a PS5 when its out (or when it has good games). 

appreciate if you guys can give me good advice before i pull the trigger haha

12 minutes ago, MoeKeshk said:

is buying an rtx 2080 ti a right move now or wait till the new gen is released (3080 ti ?)?

The 2080 Ti is a beast, i would get it as the prices got a little bit down.

If you wait for the next gen, the prices will be sky high for at least 5 months......

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Hey thanks for the reply and i see we have the same card already haha. Do you think the next generation will need more than what the 2080ti can handle comfortably? 

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The 2080 Ti is a beast, i would get it as the prices got a little bit down.

If you wait for the next gen, the prices will be sky high for at least 5 months......

Hey thanks for the reply and i see we have the same card already haha. Do you think the next generation will need more than what the 2080ti can handle comfortably? 

Just now, MoeKeshk said:

Hey thanks for the reply and i see we have the same card already haha. Do you think the next generation will need more than what the 2080ti can handle comfortably? 

Oh heck no. Many speculate the next consoles will likely only be as powerful as a 2060 Super at best. I mean, just imagine the PS5 being more powerful than a card that costed $1,300 just moments ago basically, you know what I mean? haha

Just now, Jared O said:

Oh heck no. Many speculate the next consoles will likely only be as powerful as a 2060 Super at best. I mean, just imagine the PS5 being more powerful than a card that costed $1,300 just moments ago basically, you know what I mean? haha

I do haha.... i thought so too but u know buying an expensive card like this is a big decision u know but i just wanted to make sure that am not missing out. My PC will be essentials my microsoft machine and i will get a pS5 just for the exclusives u know but thanks for the reply 

I own a 2080 ti and it demolishes everything at 1440p ultrawide, and I even get solid 60 FPS ultra settings with ultra ray tracing, and that’s not even with utilizing 100% of the graphical capabilities itself due to the fact that it’s usually much lower than 100% usage, so I can guarantee it will have the same performance for next gen even with ray tracing

My take on it is that if you're going to make that big of an investment, then you should probably wait a little longer, especially since you mentioned that you already own a 2070 if I'm not mistaken.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I own a 2080 ti and it demolishes everything at 1440p ultrawide, and I even get solid 60 FPS ultra settings with ultra ray tracing, and that’s not even with utilizing 100% of the graphical capabilities itself due to the fact that it’s usually much lower than 100% usage, so I can guarantee it will have the same performance for next gen even with ray tracing

Awesome and may i ask what manufacturer you own ? mSi, founders, gigabyte or zotac?

Just now, MoeKeshk said:

Awesome and may i ask what manufacturer you own ? mSi, founders, gigabyte or zotac?

EVGA Black edition, though I thought I was purchasing founders at first due to the picture actually displaying that one in the choice that I picked and didn’t even know I was getting an EVGA one until actually receiving my pre-built PC that I bought last year lol. But at least now when I upgrade, I only have to buy a new gpu and not another entire computer so I’ll be able to just go on the website and get a 3080/4080 directly from Nvidia

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

My take on it is that if you're going to make that big of an investment, then you should probably wait a little longer, especially since you mentioned that you already own a 2070 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah thats true i do own it but i feel like since I bought it the super was launched and now the specs of the next gen are out u know i feel dated. And when the new 30 series is out it will be crazy expensive so am just spit balling 

1 minute ago, MoeKeshk said:

Yeah thats true i do own it but i feel like since I bought it the super was launched and now the specs of the next gen are out u know i feel dated. And when the new 30 series is out it will be crazy expensive so am just spit balling 

if you’re running anything higher than 1080p I recommend just waiting for the 3000 series since you’ll be sitting on a new card for actual years, and while the 2080 ti is freaking amazing and will definitely be able to handle 60 fps with ultra everything including ray tracing, the 3000 series will probably be 90+.

if you want ultra tracing at those speeds then you gotta wait, but if 60 fps with tracing is good enough for you, then the 2080 ti is by far good enough for sure

17 minutes ago, Jared O said:

The 5700XT is faster than the 2060 Super, and the GPU on both consoles are faster than the 5700XT, the Xbox should be around the 2080 Super performance going by the extra CUs over the 5700XT.

4 minutes ago, MoeKeshk said:

Honestly I doubt that either of the announced next-gen consoles would outperform a 2070 in the graphics department in real-world performance, since they must stay within a certain price envelope. If they do manage to pull of better performance somehow, then I'd expect AMD to come out with even more serious competition for Nvidia with their next-gen cards.

I also wouldn't expect Ampere to be more expensive than Nvidia's current offerings on a per-SKU basis (as in a 3080 being more expensive than the 2080).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

The 5700XT is faster than the 2060 Super, and the GPU on both consoles are faster than the 5700XT, the Xbox in special should be around the 2080 Super performance going by the extra CUs over the 5700XT.

I wouldn’t be surprised, though that’s still under a 2080 ti which was what the question was for

7 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Honestly I doubt that either of the announced next-gen consoles would outperform a 2070 in the graphics department in real-world performance, since they must stay within a certain price envelope. If they do manage to pull of better performance somehow, then I'd expect AMD to come out with even more serious competition for Nvidia with their next-gen cards.

I also wouldn't expect Ampere to be more expensive than Nvidia's current offerings on a per-SKU basis (as in a 3080 being more expensive than the 2080).

Yeah i am assuming so but i guess the best option is to wait and see. I guess my main issue is if i want to run anything at 4k thats where some games require the 11 gb of RAM which is the main reason i m looking in that card anyways

10 minutes ago, Jared O said:

if you’re running anything higher than 1080p I recommend just waiting for the 3000 series since you’ll be sitting on a new card for actual years, and while the 2080 ti is freaking amazing and will definitely be able to handle 60 fps with ultra everything including ray tracing, the 3000 series will probably be 90+.

if you want ultra tracing at those speeds then you gotta wait, but if 60 fps with tracing is good enough for you, then the 2080 ti is by far good enough for sure

Yeah thats where is mind is at right now. I think that would wise to wait since i am actually running doom 4k at a consistent 60 fps (dips when it gets a little crazy) so i think thats fine for now and wait a bit maybe try a few next gen games when they are out

1 minute ago, MoeKeshk said:

Yeah i am assuming so but i guess the best option is to wait and see. I guess my main issue is if i want to run anything at 4k thats where some games require the 11 gb of RAM which is the main reason i m looking in that card anyways

Oh, 4K? Yeah, definitely wait for the 3000 series if fps matters to you. I can just /barely/ say that my setup (4,000 MHz RAM included, ///with/// an i9 9900k) can reach 60 FPS ultra tracing at just 1440p ultrawide

with the same settings at 4K.... - yeesh lol

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

Oh, 4K? Yeah, definitely wait for the 3000 series if fps matters to you. I can just /barely/ say that my setup (4,000 MHz RAM included, ///with/// an i9 9900k) can reach 60 FPS ultra tracing at just 1440p ultrawide

with the same settings at 4K.... - yeesh lol

Well i struggle at 4k in COD for example cause of raytracing like 30 to 40 fps but am no complaining. So 2k is my way to go and thats where i get 80+ FPS 

am not FPS fanatic but 60 is great haha

Right now you have a balanced system. If you get a 2080 ti it will be unbalanced and you will want to upgrade your CPU. 

2080 tis like high IPC and frequency.

I would literally hate to run a 2080 ti on a R 2700X but I would not mind running one on a R 3700X.

I would upgrade the CPU first so you get the frames with a 2080 ti or a next gen GPU. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 minutes ago, MoeKeshk said:

Well i struggle at 4k in COD for example cause of raytracing like 30 to 40 fps but am no complaining. So 2k is my way to go and thats where i get 80+ FPS 

am not FPS fanatic but 60 is great haha

oh then it sounds like you can’t go wrong with the 2080 ti if you’re willing to drop to 2k res.

it’s definitely a good stable forever 60 fps for me, but it doesn’t get any higher or lower than that. Just 60 fps everywhere, basically (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

I will admit that’s the only game I’ve tested my system on so far with ray tracing, but I’m sure the rest that currently provide that option would run about the same

7 minutes ago, jones177 said:

Right now you have a balanced system. If you get a 2080 ti it will be unbalanced and you will want to upgrade your CPU. 

2080 tis like high IPC and frequency.

I would literally hate to run a 2080 ti on a R 2700X but I would not mind running one on a R 3700X.

I would upgrade the CPU first so you get the frames with a 2080 ti or a next gen GPU. 

Yeah i just checked bottleneck calculator. And i see what you my cpu would then be the bottle neck. I would take into consideration before making any decisions. 

8 minutes ago, MoeKeshk said:

Yeah i just checked bottleneck calculator. And i see what you my cpu would then be the bottle neck. I would take into consideration before making any decisions. 

So the next move would be 3700x and gpu 

1 hour ago, MoeKeshk said:

If you have a RTX 2070 then (unless you shit money and its not a concern) definitely dont buy a RTX 2080 ti now.

Your card is good enough to keep it until the end of the year for sure (and then some but since you think about getting something better we dont need to go into that scenario) by then next gen RTX will have been introduced and probably also some black friday or what not offer will be available and you could get yourself either a RTX 2080 ti or an equivalent RTX 3000 series at a decent price which would be wiser (on a financial perspective).

If 1200 to 1600 euro is not a big deal for you and you use that money for a weekend trip or whatnot then yea buy an RTX 2080 ti now then sell your 2070 keep the money/invest it somewhere in your business or what not and when the 3000 series arrive go buy that flagship and sell the rtx 2080 ti. 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

If you have a RTX 2070 then (unless you shit money and its not a concern) definitely dont buy a RTX 2080 ti now.

Your card is good enough to keep it until the end of the year for sure (and then some but since you think about getting something better we dont need to go into that scenario) by then next gen RTX will have been introduced and probably also some black friday or what not offer will be available and you could get yourself either a RTX 2080 ti or an equivalent RTX 3000 series at a decent price which would be wiser (on a financial perspective).

If 1200 to 1600 euro is not a big deal for you and you use that money for a weekend trip or whatnot then yea buy an RTX 2080 ti now then sell your 2070 keep the money/invest it somewhere in your business or what not and when the 3000 series arrive go buy that flagship and sell the rtx 2080 ti. 

Well i appreciate the wise financial advice and i will def take into account. The only reason am asking is because i dont want to miss out on opportunity at good priced 2080ti . But after discussing it here i have made my decision to wait till the end of the year maybe early next year 

seems like a better scenario and a better financial decsion and also i was going to sell my card (or maybe the rig as whole and do full upgrade but thats all up in the air)