Sudden audio issues: no outputs produce sound

ali_h1
Go to solution Solved by ali_h1,

have you tried setting the Realtek as your default audio output? Sometimes the GPU would take priority.

Yes I did. So I resolved it in a very strange manner... if someone could explain to me why/how this resolved my issue I'd be super grateful haha.

I went to sound control panel, 3 panels of note:

-Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device)

-BenQ GL2760 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

-Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)

Debug_01.PNG.d79bec0bba489c793af5f688097edb8b.PNG

Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) was already set to my default device although the sound bar beside it would not move.

1. I went to my Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) >properties>advanced>unchecked "Enable audio enhancement"

-This allowed "Test" to actually play sounds from my headphone but I was still receiving no audio from youtube for example

2. I disabled BenQ GL2760 which, even though was not selected as default, was showing a moving sound bar in sound control panel

-This resolved nothing really (at face value at least)

3. I enabled then disabled Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device) which suddenly made my headphones work again for music/sound etc.

Super strange sidenote: my Path of Exile (PoE) game was crashing upon launch with steam also starting today when it was working fine last night. Solving the audio issue apparently solved whatever issue PoE was having too.

My new question: wtf is -Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device) and why did enabling and disabling it solve my issue when it was disabled to start with?

Hello, I'm not the most tech savvy individual so bear with me and let me know what information I am missing/should provide. Since last night I suddenly have zero audio output no matter what device I hook up to my PC (windows 10 64bit).

I have all up to date drivers (Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.8721.1 & NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.3.38.26).

Looking at the events for my headphones that don't work I do see this:
"Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{56c0918b-8002-4ecc-963b-dc6b19dafb41} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{0e9aac78-348a-4ed2-9c7c-f0cf38602754}
Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
Present: false

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

15 minutes ago, ali_h1 said:

Hello, I'm not the most tech savvy individual so bear with me and let me know what information I am missing/should provide. Since last night I suddenly have zero audio output no matter what device I hook up to my PC (windows 10).

I have all up to date drivers (Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.8721.1 & NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.3.38.26).

Looking at the events for my headphones that don't work I do see this:
"Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{56c0918b-8002-4ecc-963b-dc6b19dafb41} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.0.00000000}.{0e9aac78-348a-4ed2-9c7c-f0cf38602754}
Class Guid: {c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF00000000000F120
Present: false

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

have you tried setting the Realtek as your default audio output? Sometimes the GPU would take priority.

Usually disable or turn off any Nvidia outputs.

image.png.858a8be8c84108a39e8dcd232cb977ab.png

sometimes a menu will show up like this when right clicking, set up as default device for which device you are trying to output on.

image.png.171d88b4d6e398542f218d2145ed4afd.pngimage.png.6df91a5b8eda217d2b03b381d17d2bf1.png

Yes I did. So I resolved it in a very strange manner... if someone could explain to me why/how this resolved my issue I'd be super grateful haha.

I went to sound control panel, 3 panels of note:

-Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device)

-BenQ GL2760 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

-Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)

Debug_01.PNG.d79bec0bba489c793af5f688097edb8b.PNG

Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) was already set to my default device although the sound bar beside it would not move.

1. I went to my Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) >properties>advanced>unchecked "Enable audio enhancement"

-This allowed "Test" to actually play sounds from my headphone but I was still receiving no audio from youtube for example

2. I disabled BenQ GL2760 which, even though was not selected as default, was showing a moving sound bar in sound control panel

-This resolved nothing really (at face value at least)

3. I enabled then disabled Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device) which suddenly made my headphones work again for music/sound etc.

Super strange sidenote: my Path of Exile (PoE) game was crashing upon launch with steam also starting today when it was working fine last night. Solving the audio issue apparently solved whatever issue PoE was having too.

My new question: wtf is -Speakers (7-Nahimic mirroring device) and why did enabling and disabling it solve my issue when it was disabled to start with?

7-Nahimic is an audio software, probably an audio loop that is probably meant for streaming or something along those lines. The BenQ is your monitor, as HDMI or Displayport is able to transmit audio code though the cable to the monitor.

Glad that the problem was resolved though. :)

1 minute ago, GUVII said:

7-Nahimic is an audio software, probably an audio loop that is probably meant for streaming or something along those lines. The BenQ is your monitor, as HDMI or Displayport is able to transmit audio code though the cable to the monitor.

Glad that the problem was resolved though. :)

Thanks so much haha. Yeah, I unfortunately opted to buy a premade pc since it was ~the same price as building my own (this was during the bitcoin GPU rush where GTX 1080 prices were absurd). It came with a ton of nonsense software that I left alone for the most part, this is likely one of them then. 

• 1 month later...

I have this problem on my pc right now. I know exactly how it got there. My motherboard is an MSI B360 Gaming Plus, and it has realtek audio drivers that use nahimic to be able to control and enhance the audio. I recently did windows updates and one thing that updated was 'A-volute' which is a component type thing for nahimic, I'm guessing this is how you received this problem aswell. I previously didn't have anything nahimic related installed and now it somehow has made it to my pc again via this update. For my pc, nahimic is a piece of garbage that just causes so many issues. I would recommend removing it if possible. I would also recommend making sure 'Realtek High Definition Audio' drivers from MB website are used instead of 'Realtek Universal Drivers' as in my experience nahimic and realtek universal drivers conflict with each other causing annoying frame drops and unstable frame rates in games. I mean this is just me, if everything performance wise seems fine then I wouldn't rather worrying about it.

EDIT: don't bother trying to uninstall nahimic mirroring device, it will just reinstall the next time you start up the pc, well at least that's what it did for me.

36 minutes ago, jyestar34 said:

don't bother trying to uninstall nahimic mirroring device, it will just reinstall the next time you start up the pc, well at least that's what it did for me.

You can always disable such things in device manager.

5 minutes ago, RageTester said:

You can always disable such things in device manager.

True.

Ok, well I am not happy. This update has literally killed my pc. My games just die whenever I start them because they have no idea what to do with the audio. I disabled nahimic mirroring device and A-volute and it still happens. Ughhh, I'm never buying a motherboard with nahimic again.

fyi....Realtek(R) Audio is windows "basic" audio driver. not your mobos audio driver. if you had you mobos driver it would say realtek high definition or just high definition...it is in your best interest to turn off driver updates in windows...windows just love to update your video and audio drivers randomly otherwise

sound.jpg

2 hours ago, circeseye said:

fyi....Realtek(R) Audio is windows "basic" audio driver. not your mobos audio driver.

Hmm, not for me. My default windows driver is 'High Definition Audio Driver' by Microsoft. For me, if I go to my MB website there are two different drivers:

image.thumb.png.dc9262333b1858e7d8efc3a1fcd750b8.png

When I install 'Realtek HD Universal Driver', Windows recognizes it as Realtek(R) Audio, but when I install 'Realtek High Definition Audio Driver' it's called, 'Realtek High Definition Audio' in windows. I used to install Realtek HD Universal Driver but it causes problems with nahimic, which is specially made for motherboards embedding an 8th gen intel processor. Realtek is third-party, why would Realtek(R) Audio be the default driver?

EDIT: you say Realtek(R) Audio yet the screenshot says High Definition Audio Device. Was that on accident, or am I confused.

36 minutes ago, jyestar34 said:

Hmm, not for me. My default windows driver is 'High Definition Audio Driver' by Microsoft. For me, if I go to my MB website there are two different drivers:

image.thumb.png.dc9262333b1858e7d8efc3a1fcd750b8.png

When I install 'Realtek HD Universal Driver', Windows recognizes it as Realtek(R) Audio, but when I install 'Realtek High Definition Audio Driver' it's called, 'Realtek High Definition Audio' in windows. I used to install Realtek HD Universal Driver but it causes problems with nahimic, which is specially made for motherboards embedding an 8th gen intel processor. Realtek is third-party, why would Realtek(R) Audio be the default driver?

Realtek(R) is windows driver. what it uses as the all around one. which is basic. windows really likes to be a pain. and it seems to be within the last yearish. ive installed the mobo driver and once its install at reboot windows pops up saying installing device..thats where you have to cancel it because its trying to reinstall realtek(r) again.

the motherboards driver (high definition) is the mobo manufacturers modified version for it thats gives you what ever extra features they added

and seen your msi..yea my friend had issues with his msi and it is the high definition one you want nahmic stuff just had issues with the hd universal even thou it says it wanted it

(EDIT: you say Realtek(R) Audio yet the screenshot says High Definition Audio Device. Was that on accident, or am I confused. )

no i was showing you what is correct...if realtek(r) then you need to reinstall driver so it says realteck high definition or high definition. (mine says high definition because my mobo is asus im guessing..my friend with a msi says realtek high definition)