Dante's Inferno 3950X 3090 Build

Alright so I decided even if it's a bit late to do a bit of a build log on my main rig and the rig which preceeded it now I just got my 3950X, which getting actual hands on with, it is an absolutely insane chip without a doubt, the just sheer processing power and capability for muloti tasking at full load is blowing me away but what started it off?

Jumping to July of last year I was upgrading my other rig (see my profile/on the forum somewhere here for details) where the PC died, the GTX 1080 + i7 4790K I upgraded to overloaded the 350W PSU and killed the board and the PSU, meaning I was left with a very expensive paperweight with a lot of proprietry hardware that I didn't have the capability to modify back then, I was just gearing up to move onto maybe starting a youtube Channel and hell already had a 10TB NAS drive for mass storage mid shipping at the time and well....

In dire circumstances things happen rapidly.

I decided to get a very very very cheap Z97 ATX motherboard as it was compatible with everything I had and make a move to ATX meaning a new PSU, Case, etc....

For a while it sat as a frankenstein monster on my desk (pic 1) whilst I waited for other parts but she was modestly powerful 20GB of DDR3, 4790K, GTX 1080 plus a dedicated secondary card as a multi screen display adapter, but eventually my case arrived and well thats when stuff got crazy in the space between August (pic 2) on recieving the case to December (pic 3) it went through a TOTAL overhaul of its cooling from a hyper 212 and the included fans to Noctua IPPC 3000RPM fans across the case, a NH-D15 Chromx LTT edition kitted out with the faceplates and Red Accents.
It got new RAM now sporting 32GB of Hyper X Savage 1866MHz RAM manually OC'd to 2133MHz, which took a lot of trial and error but was perfect once I got the timings honed in plus the red matches the accents.
The dedicated secondary card got swapped from a GT 740 MSI OEM to a GT 1030 MSI Aero ITX and so far things were brilliant.

Then.....then January happened, from either delidding, overclocking or pure age the CPU began to die multiple BSODs regardless of settings, overclock, lack of overclock, it didn't matter the machine became unusable and soon enough would be dead in it's entirety in short February and March saw me working myself into the ground trying to get as many videos up on my own channel before the machine gave up and a race against the clock to secure funds for my planned upgrade in September of this year, in 2 months.

But it worked out through a lot of pain, working into the ground, selling my Xbox One X, doing work wherever I could and a very very generous loan from a very supportive friend I did it and on April 2nd, the last piece arrived, MY 3950X. (pic 4)

And that brings us up to now, where I am sitting on my fully revamped system, still got some stuff left to do, more parts to add, more stuff to overclock to the ragged edge and of course many memories to make on this chassis, but for now I bid Farewell and Present Dante's Inferno, for this story has often been a Divine Comedy.

Final Picture is as she sits currently

Current Specifications

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
Boot SSD: 1TB Sabrent Rocket PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD
GPU 1: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G (OC and on LM)
GPU 2: MSI GT 1030 Aero ITX
Game Storage: 2TB Western Digital Blue 2.5" 5400 RPM HDD
Mass Storage: 10 TB Western Digital Red 3.5" 5400 RPM HDD
PSU: Thermaltake Smart DPS G 700W Bronze
Case: NZXT H500
Fans: 3 * Noctua NF-A14 3000 RPM IPPC + 1 * Noctua NF-F12 3000 RPM IPPC

IMG_20190731_140123.jpg

IMG_20190802_141525.jpg

IMG_20191229_151344.jpg

IMG_20200402_181133.jpg

IMG_20200403_223209.jpg

1 minute ago, JB25304 said:

Nice looking build!

Thanks! TBH when you build it over best part of nine - ten months you get plenty of time to get that aesthetic down to a tee and ngl its eye candy on my desk

Also just realised how almost perfectly I recreated one of the Older pics XD

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new Mic today an Audio Technica AT2020 aswell as my new Mouse, a Logitch G600 and all I can say is altogether I am damned proud of this editing Battlestation and cant wait for my next upgrade ^^

IMG_20200419_161621.jpg

Love the build and nice pc. I also have the 3950x and I love it. Just wondering what are your idle temps and did you do any overclocking with the chip or leave it at stock? I had to under volt mine to get good idle temps with the same cooler as you.

17 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

Love the build and nice pc. I also have the 3950x and I love it. Just wondering what are your idle temps and did you do any overclocking with the chip or leave it at stock? I had to under volt mine to get good idle temps with the same cooler as you.

My idle on default is usually 38C PBO on or off but thats after changing from MX-4 to Kryonaut before hand it really cooked, my experience with it has been to get the heat down on die you really need a good conductor between the CPU and Cooler as anything below 10wmk tends to just overheat or sit very very very warm, and i have done a couple of experiments here and there but my OC is gonna need more work so for now I am just using PBO, what speed memory are you running?

I'm running 3000 mhz ram at 3200. How did you find out about the 10wmk? I'm not quite sure what that exactly means but I'm guessing that it has to do with the heat transfer. Do you think upgrading from I believe I am using IC Diamond at the moment. Do you think this is not good enough should get a better thermal compound?

17 hours ago, Lordofcheez said:

I'm running 3000 mhz ram at 3200. How did you find out about the 10wmk? I'm not quite sure what that exactly means but I'm guessing that it has to do with the heat transfer. Do you think upgrading from I believe I am using IC Diamond at the moment. Do you think this is not good enough should get a better thermal compound?

I'd recommend getting something like Kryonaut as in my experience at least the higher heat transfer levels should make a measurable difference in performance and temps

• 4 weeks later...

So finally got my new Power Supply a Corsair HX1200i and hot damn this was a paint to install will add more pics of it installed in the future byt yeah this things is a beast and a a bit tough to install but yeah!

IMG_20200516_174221.png

• 3 weeks later...

Quick status Update, now moved to a 1080 Ti, gonna be getting a Thunderbolt 3 AIC soon so I can get more USB porta and 10G networking woo! Plus a butt ton of extra on board storage!

Front.png

Back_2.png

9 hours ago, The117thCon said:

-snip-

Why do you have that secondary graphics card?

Also i think you should take a second look...i dont think a thunderbolt 3 AIC card will be a better solution than using discrete interfaces for adding more usb and 10 gig networking.

36 minutes ago, kkpatel87 said:

Why do you have that secondary graphics card?

Also i think you should take a second look...i dont think a thunderbolt 3 AIC card will be a better solution than using discrete interfaces for adding more usb and 10 gig networking.

Secondary gpu is a dedicated display adapter, and the thing is I only have a single PCIe accessible slot so cant have both so instead I am going thunderbolt since on top of that it is daisy chainable.

• 1 month later...

I really need to sort out my cable management but there has been a few QoL improvements including new Mic, headphones and audio interface, as well of a load of Thunderbolt 3 Gear finally.

Additions
Thunderbolt 3 AIC: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge
Microphone: Shure SM7B + TritonAudio Fethead
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro MK2
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
Dock: Caldigit TS3+
Network Adapters: Sabrent TB3 to 10G TH-3WEA

Overview.jpg

• 7 months later...

So it has been a hot while but there are updates!

First off on the left I finally got new monitors a Curved 1440p 32" 144hz replacing the old 32" 1080p Screen, as well as a 27" 1080p 144Hz screen directly below that.

I got a new chair finally and now have a Herman Miller Aeron

New Webcam so now have a Logitech Brio 4K.

New headphones I now daily drive a pair of AKG K712s.

And the interesting bit I got a 3090 FE and I SWEAR TO GOD THIS CARD IS CURSED, performs like a god but so much had gone wrong on it, fan arrives DOA nvidia refuses to honour the warranty and as a result I decide instead of taking it laying down I modded the hell out of my card and well she runs acceptably with 43°C at Idle and 59°C at  max Load but yeah heres what happened!

Also as a result of mods to the card I have lost the ability to use my second PCIe 16x slot unless anyone knows where I can get a replacement bottom fan.

1909355523_Edit1Final.png

1717189479_Edit2Final.png

1111384006_Raw4.png

Also 3090 Pics for you guys to see its modding!

Its fully repadded and repasted, with a 3000RPM Noctua to replace the dead fan for now and a couple of small heatsinks on the back to help with the problems of VRAM overheating.

IMG_20210311_203143.png

IMG_20210312_113130.jpg

IMG_20210312_114402.jpg

IMG_20210312_122247.jpg

IMG_20210314_165116.jpg

IMG_20210311_161513.jpg

On 3/21/2021 at 9:47 AM, The117thCon said:

Also 3090 Pics for you guys to see its modding!

Its fully repadded and repasted, with a 3000RPM Noctua to replace the dead fan for now and a couple of small heatsinks on the back to help with the problems of VRAM overheating.

IMG_20210311_203143.png

IMG_20210312_113130.jpg

IMG_20210312_114402.jpg

IMG_20210312_122247.jpg

IMG_20210314_165116.jpg

IMG_20210311_161513.jpg

Janky solution for the vram overheat, i like your solution man! Linus would approve XD

On 3/25/2021 at 6:42 AM, allout said:

Janky solution for the vram overheat, i like your solution man! Linus would approve XD

Janky but hey if it works!