Problems with new monitor

ollietech

Hello, 

I recently purchased a brand new monitor, It is a 165hz display and I have been having some issues with it. It is connected via HDMI and so I know that hdmi cannot support that high of a rate so I changed it in my windows display settings to 60hz but It still flickers and occasional weird crazy colour flickers when dealing with certain apps, especially whenever im changing stuff on the nvidia control panel. And the control panel does not allow me to change it from 165hz it just automitically changes right back. I cant tell whether it is faulty or my HDMI is simply struggling to support my monitor. I am awaiting a dp cable. My graphics card is a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB 

Appreciate any help, thank you 

Am also experiencing some minor monitor lag occasionaly 

5 minutes ago, ollietech said:

Am also experiencing some minor monitor lag occasionaly 

Did you try going into device manager and updating both the graphics card and monitor drivers?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

Do you have another PC to test it on? Maybe a laptop? That would let us narrow the issue down between being on the computer side or monitor side. Your symptoms could also be a failing HDMI cable, so definitely try another one and see if the issue continues, bad contact in a failing HDMI cable can cause some strange issues in my experience.

1 hour ago, Ixionn said:

Do you have another PC to test it on? Maybe a laptop? That would let us narrow the issue down between being on the computer side or monitor side. Your symptoms could also be a failing HDMI cable, so definitely try another one and see if the issue continues, bad contact in a failing HDMI cable can cause some strange issues in my experience.

I don't have another computer unfortunately, I did connect it to my other monitor which is just a regular 60hz monitor and it worked perfectly as normal. But earlier when both my 60hz and new one were connected it was making my 60hz monitor flicker as well. Im pretty sure its not my pc cause everything was completely fine before this new monitor. And I have swapped with 3 different hdmi cables. Thank you for your reply :) 

1 hour ago, Chickenfans said:

Did you try going into device manager and updating both the graphics card and monitor drivers?

Yes I have done this, thank you 

It could be an issue with the HDMI port on the monitor, but I'm not sure how likely that would be. What brand and model is it?

On 4/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, Chickenfans said:

It could be an issue with the HDMI port on the monitor, but I'm not sure how likely that would be. What brand and model is it?

Have updated with a displayport cable and everything seems to be working fine now :) 

16 hours ago, ollietech said:

Have updated with a displayport cable and everything seems to be working fine now :) 

Great! Glad it worked out.