Graphics Card Fried after Power Outage

DaniExQw

Hi guys, last night i was playing a game and my monitor (monitor power cable was broke) experienced a power outage after i moved it a bit the power went out in my whole house. so i turn the power back on and turn my pc on again and it boots up in a blackscreen nothing else, it starts up and all i see is a black screen. i thought my monitor broke, so i try my old monitor and the same thing happens my pc boots up with a black screen. at this point i knew it was the graphics card (gtx 750ti) so i put in a old one that i had laying around and it boots up perfectly so my graphics card somehow broke after that power outage. i just wanted to ask if there is anything i can do to fix it maybe its just the hdmi port on it thats broken idk. excuse my bad english

so it broke after my monitor fried the power in the whole house. the cable was broken so when i moved it around everything went black and my power went out. is it possible that it maybe just fried the port on my graphics card 

1 minute ago, DaniExQw said:

so it broke after my monitor fried the power in the whole house. the cable was broken so when i moved it around everything went black and my power went out. is it possible that it maybe just fried the port on my graphics card 

sounds more like a coincidence, rather than your monitor tripping your entire breaker. I wouldn't think moving the cable would destroy anything, especially because video cables carry a very tiny amount of power.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

why do i boot in a black screen ? it worked

fine before the outage . 

Do you have two PCI-e slots?

Put the 750ti in a secondary one and put the other GPU in primary one. Plug the HDMI cable into the other GPU. Once you are in Windows see if the 750ti is detected at all as a second GPU in Windows task manager or in gpuz. If not, it's fried and junk. 

5 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

Do you have two PCI-e slots?

Put the 750ti in a secondary one and put the other GPU in primary one. Plug the HDMI cable into the other GPU. Once you are in Windows see if the 750ti is detected at all as a second GPU in Windows task manager or in gpuz. If not, it's fried and junk. 

i will try that and let you know, what if its detected? could it then just be the port that is fried?

9 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

why do i boot in a black screen ? it worked

fine before the outage . 

The power over the video cable wouldn't be enough to trip your whole house, but it could be enough to kill that specific video port. As @MrIceCremeLollipop mentioned, VGA could have a different result.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, DaniExQw said:

i will try that and let you know, what if its detected? could it then just be the port that is fried?

Yeah if it gets detected then hopefully it's repairable. To be honest chances are it's junk. Luckily you can buy way better graphics cards then that for $50 or less. 

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The power over the video cable wouldn't be enough to trip your whole house, but it could be enough to kill that specific video port. As @MrIceCremeLollipop mentioned, VGA could have a different result.

im gonna try that, thank you btw. very helpfull 

well, if detected, if your monitor doesnt have other connectors maybe see if you can use the gpus in prime? well prime is linux name dont know if windows has.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

11 hours ago, toasty99 said:

Yeah if it gets detected then hopefully it's repairable. To be honest chances are it's junk. Luckily you can buy way better graphics cards then that for $50 or less. 

hi, i just tested it and it showed up in device manager so does that mean its just the port that fried?

34 minutes ago, DaniExQw said:

hi, i just tested it and it showed up in device manager so does that mean its just the port that fried?

Maybe, maybe not. 

Try that out, force a game to run off your 750ti while the monitor is plugged into another GPU. If performance is consistent with the 750ti not the other GPU then it is working and only the video out is fried. 

25 minutes ago, toasty99 said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

Try that out, force a game to run off your 750ti while the monitor is plugged into another GPU. If performance is consistent with the 750ti not the other GPU then it is working and only the video out is fried. 

tryning that now, im gonna let you know if it works

On 4/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, toasty99 said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

it doesnt work even though it shows up in device manager, thanks for the help tho :)