Searching for a desk chair

Niklos

Hi everyone.

I need a new desk chair... I have the old one of my grand pa... Who passed out in 2000.... So this chair is more than 20 years old for sure ! Probably around 25 years old... It was a good one but... well, it's old and I feel like I am sitting on a piece of wood !

Anyways. I don't know what to take...

So first of all, here is what I am gonna do with it : 

- work on computer

- watch videos

- surf on the internet

- listen to music

- play video game

It is going to be used during 8 to 10 hours per day.

I don't really like the look of the "gaming" chairs unfortunatly, I feel like they are the best chair on the market.

Any advice ? I want something that is going to last long. Budget is not a problem if I can keep it for the next 10 to 20 years.

I like the Secretlab TITAN. Unfortunatly, I don't have any shops around here to try anything but cheap stuff.

Thanks y'all !

edit : keep in mind that I live in France and not in the US !
edit 2 : Oups, I forgot... I am 1.8m tall I weight 75kg.

Have you had a look at Herman Miller chairs? They are widely regarded as the best office chairs money can buy.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

Well, I actually look at them and... The only one I like is the lounge chair which is not really a desk chair... And is "kind of" expensive.

BTW, when I said that budget is not a problem, that is not exactly accurate. Let's say that I can go up to 800€ maybe 1000€ if it is really worth it.

Hmmm... @Quackwich... You might have made me change my mind... The Aeron 2 seams great !! I need to think about that...

6 hours ago, Quackwich said:

Have you had a look at Herman Miller chairs? They are widely regarded as the best office chairs money can buy.

Yep, clearly flat backed, hard packed leatherette with ergonomic hard aluminium arm rests for over 1000 dollars is the best office chairs money can buy.... they have perhaps 5 products that are actually decent, which they use to build a brand name that people associate with good even when buying awful shit with no ergonomics whatsoever for 10x what they are worth... 

Ugh sorry, /rantover

Anyways on topic to OP, for long term use, the single biggest thing I would recommend looking for is chairs with non-hard bases underneath the padding (if there is any). The padding will always eventually compress, so having fabric support instead prevents the worst outcomes. 

The Aeron 2 does meet that requirement.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

9 hours ago, Quackwich said:

Can confirm this. Well specifically the Aeron line. The 2 other HM chairs I've tried were pretty meh. 

I have an Aeron myself an this thing is the only chair I have ever sat on that didn't fatigue any part of my body after extended use, and the thing is durable AF. Most chairs I've experienced last 2 to 4 years before developing some issue that makes them a literal pain to use. My Aeron is now 19 years old and still in near new condition. Only in the last couple months did I need to replace the original gas cylinder and now it's perfect again.  Yeah they'er expensive but given the life span it will be cheaper in the long run. 

You can also get used ones on Amazon for around $500 to $600 if you don't want to spend for $1k  for a new one. (Not sure how that converts to euros or if it even costs the same over there)

In here, the Aeron 2 is 1500€ full option. An Aeron Classic used, no option is 650€.

Don't really know what to do but... Nowaday I might get a good deal for a new one by calling some shops. Thanks to Covid-19, people are not working and really need some money so... I might get a good deal for a new one !

I've taken a look on Kijiji/Craigslist/FB marketplace and found a number of lightly used Herman Miller Aeron (make sure you get the right size) and Steelcase Leap chairs in town. Most of them are from offices that have been closed and are pretty lightly used - place I looked at yesterday had more than 50 of each and so I just found one in great shape, $350CAD, boom. I like new stuff and everything but that price is so right.

The sales guy though said that with everyone working at home, the chairs have been moving so don't wait too long... another issue was that Herman Miller was shipping new chairs for the end of May!

Thanks. Unfortunatly, we don't have this many used chair in France :/

Well the ErgoChair 2 has been recently reviewed by jazytwocents and his editor and fun fact it doesn't cost more than a 2080 ti only 350 dollar.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Heyo, just wanted to let y'all know that I ordered the HM Aeron 2. I'll get it in 2 months...

• 3 months later...

It took more time than expected but... It showed up on monday !

It is definitly a great chair. Not that easy to setup but great anyways. My only concerne is about the seat that seams to move a little bit. I send an email to HM to make sure this is normal.

Despite that problem it is awesome !

Really big thanks @geo3 and @Quackwich

5 hours ago, Niklos said:

My only concerne is about the seat that seams to move a little bit.

The seat cam move a lot, there should be locking levers on the left side to hold it in place. There's also a tension knob on the right, you need to twist it allot though to effect any change.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, geo3 said:

The seat cam move a lot, there should be locking levers on the left side to hold it in place. There's also a tension knob on the right, you need to twist it allot though to effect any change.  

Well no, I mean, the actual piece on which you seat on. But HM told me it is perfectly normal and designed like this.

12 hours ago, Niklos said:

Well no, I mean, the actual piece on which you seat on. But HM told me it is perfectly normal and designed like this.

Oh. Mind does that too, but if I'm sitting on it it can't move unless I lift my legs and lean back all the way.  Pretty much a non issue/ 

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case some other people were searching for an office/gaming chair, I would like to let them know that I am perfectly satisfied with my Aeron 2. Actually, I bought a second one to put at work... It is worth every single cent !