Can someone smarter than me tell me if this is decent or nah?

Yo, I'm new here so sorry if any of this is wrong or in the wrong place.

I've planned a PC build I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on the specs? I dunno what I'm doing so anything that seems off please let me know!

The build currently cost £1096 (£1315 with VAT, I'm in uk)
I'll mostly be using it for video editing and gaming, I want it to be fast enough to edit 4k and play modern games with potential for VR, though not looking for top of the line, will be running a max of 2 monitors.

CPU : Intel® Core™ i7-9700KF - 8-Core 3.60GHz, 4.90GHz Turbo

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 Liquid Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (

Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-P: ATX w/ USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2

Memory (RAM): 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)

Graphics Card (GPU): AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50TH Anniversary 8GB

PSU (Power Supply): Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W 80+ Gaming Power Supply

M.2 SSD Drive: 500GB (1x500GB) WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 2400MB/s Read & 1750MB/s Write (

Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive

Don't waste money on the i7 9700KF when the R7 3700X is vastly superior for editing and identical for gaming. Get a 3700X and a good board like an Asus X570 TuF. Also ditch the liquid cooler, something simple like a Dark Rock Slim is overkill for a cool and efficient CPU like the 3700X. Use the saved money on a better GPU like a 2080.

Also - get a Corsair TXm or RMx Power Supply - the ThermalTake Smart is a pretty poor quality unit and I would never trust my expensive hardware with it. As for the drives - the SSD is fine but I'd probably get a WD Red or Black for the HDD - much better realibility and endurance.

I'd recommend Ryzen, nowadays, even for gaming. Also the Z390-P is a very basic board. Going AMD could save you some money you could put into getting a better board and a better PSU - not sure about this one, but it doesn't seem to be the good enough for such as system (correct me if I'm wrong). Here's the PSU tier list, hope that helps (I'd recommend at least A- tier)

Just now, Konrad_K said:

I'd recommend Ryzen, nowadays, even for gaming. Also the Z390-P is a very basic board. Going AMD could save you some money you could put into getting a better board and a better PSU - not sure about this one, but it doesn't seem to be the best (correct me if I'm wrong). Here's the PSU tier list, hope that helps (I'd recommend at least A- tier)

Exactly - the TT RGB Smart is pretty lackluster. When the PC costs more than most people's cars, getting a good quality and reliable power supply is a must. Same goes for the board.

I should have said to start that I'm building this through cyber power as when i looked at buying the parts individually it actually ended up costing me more, so I'm slightly limited by the options that cyberpower has with each base build. I took a lot of time messing around to get that price and just doing a quick build with the Ryzen it seemed to end up costing more? Not sure if i'm just doing it wrong here though

Will definitely look at a better PSU, that one seemed to be the best CyberPower were offering though would the Corsair RM750 be any better? Or should I buy the PSU from somewhere else

2 minutes ago, iMissUnclePhil said:

I should have said to start that I'm building this through cyber power as when i looked at buying the parts individually it actually ended up costing me more, so I'm slightly limited by the options that cyberpower has with each base build. I took a lot of time messing around to get that price and just doing a quick build with the Ryzen it seemed to end up costing more? Not sure if i'm just doing it wrong here though

Will definitely look at a better PSU, that one seemed to be the best CyberPower were offering though would the Corsair RM750 be any better? Or should I buy the PSU from somewhere else

You should buy all the parts from other places. That will always be a better solution. Try calling Cyberpower and see if they will sell the case standalone.

As for the PSU - yes, the RM750 is vastly superior but the RMx is still better.

Your parts list:

I shuffled some parts around for you and came up with this:

• More fast cores for your video editing needs vs. the i7
  • 3600 speed memory is pretty close the memory latency sweet spot for Zen 2 (Ryzen loves fast ram)
  • RX 5700 XT is a solid choice. But I would not get a blower style like the Anniversary Edition.
  • Picked a better quality PSU for you. 

Personally I've been running a ThermalTake Smart PSU for years and it's been a solid unit, but people lose their minds on this forum if it doesn't have a top tier manufacturer's name and a 80+ gold ratings.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

Laptop: Lenovo X230 / OS X 10.15 Hackintosh (OpenCore)

F@H ID: Paroxy777

15 minutes ago, Paroxy said:

Your parts list:

• 3600 speed memory is pretty close the memory latency sweet spot for Zen 2 (Ryzen loves fast ram)
  • RX 5700 XT is a solid choice. But I would not get a blower style like the Anniversary Edition.

Personally I've been running a ThermalTake Smart PSU for years and it's been a solid unit, but people lose their minds on this forum if it doesn't have a top tier manufacturer's name and a 80+ gold ratings.

You're an absolute wizard thanks for this mate, given me a lot to think about will look at getting these together tonight :D

Just out of interest is there much advantage to the MSI motherboard over the Asus? I'm not really planning to upgrade much and I know the Asus has all the slots I need but I don't know jack about motherboards so is there another reason you'd recommend it?

22 minutes ago, Paroxy said:

Not that Motherboard though as it is terrible. Also the MSI 5700XT cards should be avoided apart from the Gaming X.

4 minutes ago, iMissUnclePhil said:

You're an absolute wizard thanks for this mate, given me a lot to think about will look at getting these together tonight :D

Just out of interest is there much advantage to the MSI motherboard over the Asus? I'm not really planning to upgrade much and I know the Asus has all the slots I need but I don't know jack about motherboards so is there another reason you'd recommend it?

You want a better board as the MSI X570 ones are not very good apart from the Unify/Ace. You would be better with an MSI B450 board such as the B450-A PRO MAX, Tomahawk MAX or B450 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Also go with a different version of the 5700XT such as the Gigabyte Gaming OC or Sapphire Pulse.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£270.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£86.46 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£142.19 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£118.45 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.22 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card  (£396.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£85.98 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1152.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-31 18:14 BST+0100

4 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You want a better board as the MSI X570 ones are not very good apart from the Unify/Ace. You would be better with an MSI B450 board such as the B450-A PRO MAX, Tomahawk MAX or B450 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Also go with a different version of the 5700XT such as the Gigabyte Gaming OC or Sapphire Pulse.

Is there a reason why the MSI x570 isn't very good? From what I've been learning the most important part about motherboards are the features, and the Asus Prime z390 on my original build seems (to me) to have everything I need for these components? Like I said I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm sure you're right that I should get a better board, would just like to know what the difference is

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£270.00 @ Currys PC World) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£86.46 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£142.19 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£118.45 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£52.22 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card  (£396.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£85.98 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1152.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-31 18:14 BST+0100

Oh golden cheers mate! will look at the stuff you've added!

2 minutes ago, iMissUnclePhil said:

Is there a reason why the MSI x570 isn't very good? From what I've been learning the most important part about motherboards are the features, and the Asus Prime z390 on my original build seems (to me) to have everything I need for these components? Like I said I have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm sure you're right that I should get a better board, would just like to know what the difference is

The VRM's are not very good on the MSI X570 boards until you get to the Unify/Ace. So if you put a cpu like the 3900X in it it could cause it to thermal throttle. 

If you were going Intel (Ryzen is far better value) then Gigabyte have the best boards there. So the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X would be my choice for an entry level board.

1 hour ago, iMissUnclePhil said:

Because I use the same one, it's affordable, it has the features one would want, and it works fine for me.  Mind you I wouldn't try to do any OC with it outside of PBO.  Expensive motherboards with meaty heatsinks are more geared toward heavier overclocking.  You'd also need a beefier power supply and cooler if OC was your objective, but it isn't.

The Asus X570 I believe is a lot more expensive, so it may blow your budget.  A higher end B450 board is not a terrible option if you don't think you'll need the speed of a PCI-E Gen 4 NVMe drive later.

Edited by Paroxy
Expanded explanations with additional options.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

Laptop: Lenovo X230 / OS X 10.15 Hackintosh (OpenCore)

F@H ID: Paroxy777

That's a Beast of a PC, but I wouldn't say it's a great value.

- The CPU is a bit pricey, I would say go for a ryzen 7 3700x (Userbenchmark scores)

- I would say you should go for an air cooler, or even the stock cooler if you don't plan on overclocking.

- Here you could use the money you saved on the cooler and the CPU on the Graphics Card I would go for something like a 2080 or a 2070 (2070 Super comparison 2080 comparion). I would personally go for the 2070 super as the price difference isn't as big.