Monitor recommendations for 1440p gaming

ftahir192

Have finally gone ahead and purchased parts for my new build: 

Looking to also upgrade my current monitors (2x BenQ GL2460HM) and am looking for 2x 1440p 144hz+ panels (IPS is nice but not 100% necessary). One will be for gaming and the other for won't be used for gaming at all so amn't looking for any specific gaming features on the second monitor. It's mostly connected to a laptop during work anyway.

What are the best options for something G-sync compatible under a £400 budget? I'm mostly posting here because this whose G-sync/Freesync stuff confuses me. It seems freesync is a lot cheaper but can I use g-sync on a freesync monitor now? What's the deal with that?

Any recommendations will be good - I don't want to spend a ton on the second monitor right now.

Cheers.

Edit: was looking at these but it's freesync only.

3 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

can I use g-sync on a freesync monitor now?

On most monitors, yes you can.

As for the monitor, there are tones out there.

I would go for an IPS, HDR 10,10 BIT.

I prefer Samsung and LG.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

On most monitors, yes you can.

As for the monitor, there are tones out there.

I would go for an IPS, HDR 10,10 BIT.

I prefer Samsung and LG.

Okay that's a good start thanks. When you say "on most monitors", whats the best way to be sure about it?

I think there is a list out there, if i remember correctly, try to google it.

In every new driver that Nvidia release, they add more...... 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I have been running the PG279Q and am loving it! It is IPS so the colours are great. It also has G-Sync. If you have any questions let me know!

Join TEAM LTT in the fight against COVID-19 with F@H & BOINC ~ My EOC Folding Stats ~ My F@H Stats ~ My BOINC Stats

Daily Driver: i7-8086/32GB RAM/500GB SSD/4TB HDD/RTX2070/PG279Q

Unraid Server: 2700X/32GB RAM/750GB RAW SSD/22TB RAW HDD/GTX 1050

7 minutes ago, j1philli said:

I have been running the PG279Q and am loving it! It is IPS so the colours are great. It also has G-Sync. If you have any questions let me know!

Hmm looks like Amazon only sell used warehouse ones for these and have an updated version -  PG279QE which is £700. Bit out of my budget I think

9 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I think there is a list out there, if i remember correctly, try to google it.

In every new driver that Nvidia release, they add more...... 

Nice one, found the list. I'll reference that as it does look like Freesync monitors are generally cheaper than their G-sync counterparts. Looks like setup is quite easy as well.

When purchasing a freesync panel, you have to have the AMD graphics card, g-synch, nvidia. you can use a g-sync panel with an AMD card, but you wont be able to use the freesync or G-sync. I have a solid TN panel, its cheap, 1440, 144hz, 1ms respons time. It is 250 USD depedning where you look, the reason its so cheap with still being 144 1440 at 1ms, is because the TN panels color accuracy. If you're doing any editing/content creation or graphics design, the colors wont be right. its perfectly fine for games though. It is available with freesync or g-sync, frankly though, its not a huge deal to me, i use the freesync but after crossing 100 fps, i dont notice a difference. I dont really care about the freesync or g-sync, IMO kinda a waste of money as long as you have a solid setup. Albeit im not a pro in that realm. anywho, the panel is an AOC AGON AG241QX. cheap but solid, 10/10 recommend as long as youre not doing design and whatnot. Monitors are just so expensive, this one though with the 144 1440 1ms, ill excuse the poor color accuracy on the tn panel.

2 minutes ago, SethK said:

When purchasing a freesync panel, you have to have the AMD graphics card, g-synch, nvidia. you can use a g-sync panel with an AMD card, but you wont be able to use the freesync or G-sync. I have a solid TN panel, its cheap, 1440, 144hz, 1ms respons time. It is 250 USD depedning where you look, the reason its so cheap with still being 144 1440 at 1ms, is because the TN panels color accuracy. If you're doing any editing/content creation or graphics design, the colors wont be right. its perfectly fine for games though. It is available with freesync or g-sync, frankly though, its not a huge deal to me, i use the freesync but after crossing 100 fps, i dont notice a difference. I dont really care about the freesync or g-sync, IMO kinda a waste of money as long as you have a solid setup. Albeit im not a pro in that realm. anywho, the panel is an AOC AGON AG241QX. cheap but solid, 10/10 recommend as long as youre not doing design and whatnot. Monitors are just so expensive, this one though with the 144 1440 1ms, ill excuse the poor color accuracy on the tn panel.

Ah should have mentioned I do prefer an IPS panel as colour accuracy is quite important to me (web developer). I see AOC monitors are generally a decent price so may look into this brand's IPS offerings. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, ftahir192 said:

Ah should have mentioned I do prefer an IPS panel as colour accuracy is quite important to me (web developer). I see AOC monitors are generally a decent price so may look into this brand's IPS offerings. Thanks!

Ah, you prefer the IPS for the only reason to not get this one lol. as far as quality is concerned for this monitor (cant say the same all around for aoc) its solid. the mount definitely exceeded my expectations for being such a cheap monitor. like if it were accurate color wise, it would be priced up with the high end monitors. I'll definitely look into AOC for my next one. If you are worried about it being korean or whatever cheap asian country it came from, they do have a solid warranty if im not mistaken.

17 minutes ago, SethK said:

Ah, you prefer the IPS for the only reason to not get this one lol. as far as quality is concerned for this monitor (cant say the same all around for aoc) its solid. the mount definitely exceeded my expectations for being such a cheap monitor. like if it were accurate color wise, it would be priced up with the high end monitors. I'll definitely look into AOC for my next one. If you are worried about it being korean or whatever cheap asian country it came from, they do have a solid warranty if im not mistaken.

I mean I'll be buying from Amazon anyway so not too worried about customer service/warranties as Amazon can normally deal with it if needed