Which way to place?

G4mingArt1st

If the fan is a 3, but the connection on the board is 4.
Which way does the fan connectors go?
...  -Fan connector
.... -MB

Like this?

Or this

1 minute ago, G4mingArt1st said:

If the fan is a 3, but the connection on the board is 4.
Which way does the fan connectors go?

The only way it will fit, since the connector and cable are keyed.

image.png.5cb8fa3874fe147a5901062dee16c82f.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, JJCooper_ said:

Usually it goes:

I have it plugged in like that, and it works. And it should have a notch?

But what if we now take the motherboard and flip it 180 degrees? Now it should fit in the other way..

So we really can't answer the question like OP wants, since we don't know what way he is looking at the connector and motherboard.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

But what if we now take the motherboard and flip it 180 degrees? Now it should fit in the other way..

So we really can't answer the question like OP wants, since we don't know what way he is looking at the connector and motherboard.

I get you. But as said, they are keyed or notched anyway. It will go in one way. 

Your fan headers should have notches. Just align them with the notch on the 4 pin header.

Also, play at my dumbness for not going with a board that has a Wi-Fi card pre-installed.

Cause, apparently Antannae are weird looking. Lol

Just now, JJCooper_ said:

Your fan headers should have notches. Just align them with the notch on the 4 pin header.

That said, 1 pin is unused. It's the ground pin?

1 minute ago, G4mingArt1st said:

This actually should help.

It doesn't help me in particular.. Because you have fan connectors on the top and on the bottom, which are flipped 180 degrees.

So on one side the fan goes in one way, the other side the other way.

Again, the fan will only go in one way because of the plastic bits making it so it really only fits in one way.

image.png.8aafcc8a672a8cf9adbc854ec53b2f81.png

Just now, G4mingArt1st said:

Also, play at my dumbness for not going with a board that has a Wi-Fi card pre-installed.

Cause, apparently Antannae are weird looking. Lol

Boards with built in Wifi usually have an antenna anyway

Just now, G4mingArt1st said:

That said, 1 pin is unused. It's the ground pin?

The PWM pins goes unused when using a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin connector.

The connectors, from one side to another go: Ground - +12V - Sense

if you have a fan with colored wires, the coloring would be 

Black (Ground) - Red (+12v) - Sense (usually Blue).

17 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

20200329_162533(1).jpg

20200329_162631(1).jpg

Towards the left my friend.
There is only one way it will go in. Just try it, you'll see what we mean.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Towards the left my friend.
There is only one way it will go in. Just try it, you'll see what we mean.

Thanks amigo. I have 3 standard ones plus my AIO. But, according to the manual, it goes atop.

46 minutes ago, G4mingArt1st said:

Thanks amigo. I have 3 standard ones plus my AIO. But, according to the manual, it goes atop.

The AIO pump plugs into the W_PUMP header and the fans in the CPU_FAN header. Or at least they should.
The CHA_FAN headers are really just for case fans.

There isn't any difference tho between these headers. It's just so its easier for you to know what device you plugged into which header.

But one thing you have to know is, that the CPU_FAN headers are always controlled by the CPU temperature. This can often be changed within the BIOS.

You'll figure it out tho. Its not rocket science :)

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The AIO pump plugs into the W_PUMP header and the fans in the CPU_FAN header. Or at least they should.
The CHA_FAN headers are really just for case fans.

There isn't any difference tho between these headers. It's just so its easier for you to know what device you plugged into which header.

But one thing you have to know is, that the CPU_FAN headers are always controlled by the CPU temperature. This can often be changed within the BIOS.

You'll figure it out tho. Its not rocket science :)

That's good advice man.

Now if only I can get myself a Wall/Electrical Outlet Wi-Fi Extender and CAT 5 cabling.

I can make up for the Wi-Fi issue.

I would've used the card from an older system, but I don't think it fits on this board.

13 hours ago, G4mingArt1st said:

I would've used the card from an older system, but I don't think it fits on this board.

Depends how old. If you are talking about legacy PCI card, then you should go with new one just to get speed boost from newer wifi standards. G standard is kinda slow compared to even N, not to mention AC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv