Help! Switching from a Samsung galaxy S7 edge to iPhone Xs worth it?

What would you do?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Keep the Samsung galaxy S7 edge
    • Go for the iPhone Xs

Hey guys, i need your opinion to help me make a decision!

So about 2 and a half years ago i bought a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. I already owned several Samsung phones before, but they all eventually broke down after a few years. However, recently a colleague awoke my interest in the iPhone Xs.
He told me that he was extremely pleased with it, so i did a bit more research and i realized how well engineered it is. The whole interaction with the phone seems very smooth, thanks to the good processor and ios 13. I also was stoked by all the new siri functions (mainly the shortcuts app), because i always wanted to use a good voice assistant on my phone. I don't need to say much about the camera, it's just great! Lastly the build quality is excellent, too. Obviously the iPhone Xs comes with a hefty price tag, wich was, until now, my reason not to buy it. But when i recently looked it up online, i found a new 256GB version for "only" 760$. Now, while still being relative expensive, that is a price i would be willing to pay.
On the other hand: My current phone is still working. Ok, it has a minor crack on the top, the battery life has gone down and as time went on it became more prone of crashing. But it works :D

Ok, now that everything has been said, i am now asking you for advice! Is it woth to upgrade? Every answer is much appreciated!

Just now, huilun02 said:

In what way did your previous phones "broke down"?

Are you sure the XS will not succumb to the same fate?

Else why not give it a try

They broke down due to a hardware failure, but i guess that could happen to any smartphone. I hope that iPhones last longer, if treated right. I have heard good things in terms of long lasting software support.

Just now, huilun02 said:

What hardware failed?

When i sent it to the shop which i bought it from, they said, that there was an irreparable issue with one of the touch screen layers. That's all i know. But i mainly want to focus on the (dis)advantages of a new purchase in this Topic.

34 minutes ago, Tech_Nico said:

Hey guys, i need your opinion to help me make a decision!

So about 2 and a half years ago i bought a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge. I already owned several Samsung phones before, but they all eventually broke down after a few years. However, recently a colleague awoke my interest in the iPhone Xs.
He told me that he was extremely pleased with it, so i did a bit more research and i realized how well engineered it is. The whole interaction with the phone seems very smooth, thanks to the good processor and ios 13. I also was stoked by all the new siri functions (mainly the shortcuts app), because i always wanted to use a good voice assistant on my phone. I don't need to say much about the camera, it's just great! Lastly the build quality is excellent, too. Obviously the iPhone Xs comes with a hefty price tag, wich was, until now, my reason not to buy it. But when i recently looked it up online, i found a new 256GB version for "only" 760$. Now, while still being relative expensive, that is a price i would be willing to pay.
On the other hand: My current phone is still working. Ok, it has a minor crack on the top, the battery life has gone down and as time went on it became more prone of crashing. But it works :D

Ok, now that everything has been said, i am now asking you for advice! Is it woth to upgrade? Every answer is much appreciated!

If I was you I would wait until Q3/Q4 when the new iPhone are released and stores need to sell out old stock. One more reason the wait is to see if the new phone is worth the price. They might add some that you really like but you bought a last year phone and can't switch. 

And on the build quality yes Apple has improved the build quality but I still won't trust them when it comes to repairing the device at the Apple Store. They probubly charge you a ridiculous price. Samsung is a little better on the price but they are still expensive.

But that's just me 😃

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

Siri is fucking terrible. You want a better phone experience? Flash a new ROM on your S7. Don't buy the iPhone.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, DrHeadbump said:

If I was you I would wait until Q3/Q4 when the new iPhone are released and stores need to sell out old stock. One more reason the wait is to see if the new phone is worth the price. They might add some that you really like but you bought a last year phone and can't switch. 

And on the build quality yes Apple has improved the build quality but I still won't trust them when it comes to repairing the device at the Apple Store. They probubly charge you a ridiculous price. Samsung is a little better on the price but they are still expensive.

But that's just me 😃

Good thinking!
Are there any release dates or speculations given at the moment? 

3 minutes ago, Tech_Nico said:

Good thinking!
Are there any release dates or speculations given at the moment? 

I have no idea since phones isn't my cup of tea I just buy a phone and use it as long as possible. Maybe a quick Google search will suffice. I would guess that more rumors will appear around July/August. 👍

Edited by DrHeadbump
Spelling

Intel Core i7-9800X-3.8GHz  | 2x EK-CoolStream Classic SE 360| Royal RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz  |  ASUSTeK Prime X299-A  | EKWB - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO | Lian Li PC-011 white | Samsung 860 QVO 2TB, 2x 240GB Kingston SSD (RAID 0) & 240GB Kingston NVME Drive | Acer 34" ED347CKR VA Curved 100 Hz | NZXT E- Series 850

You’ll like your new iPhone, it won’t take long to see it is much better than your old phone, and all of your old issues will be things of the past.

Everything just works, properly.

I have no love for anything android. Waste of money.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

If you're getting the iphone just because it seems more durable it doesnt make any sense. Other than hardware failures, what are you liking more on iphones than android phones? I think that the one plus 7 pro would suit you better since you wouldnt be changing OS.

Just now, EL02 said:

If you're getting the iphone just because it seems more durable it doesnt make any sense. Other than hardware failures, what are you liking more on iphones than android phones? I think that the one plus 7 pro would suit you better since you wouldnt be changing OS.

Not at all. I value the Interface, the camera, and the smoothness much more than the build quality. Those are my main reasons for switching.

Spec wise the iPhone melts the S7. Or any android SoC tbh. Camera is better, screen is better. OS depends but I haven’t found anyone who couldn’t use iOS. Plus they use stainless steel which gives it a fair amount of heft which feels quality. Would look at getting an 11 Pro on finance if you could though, 0% APR for 12 months, warranty for that period and upgraded pretty much everything vs the XS. Be a bit more expensive but it’s stretched out so is more affordable. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I got my XS Max 256 certified preowned from my carrier, it was a brand new phone.. but half the price it retailed for. It gives my old 7 a good hard spank in every possible way.. I only mention it just in case you can find a similar deal.

Just now, freeagent said:

I got my XS Max 256 certified preowned from my carrier, it was a brand new phone.. but half the price it retailed for. It gives my old 7 a good hard spank in every possible way.. I only mention it just in case you can find a similar deal.

Well that's a steal, but i have my concerns with pre owened devices, because you don't know if or what parts have been replaced. Often such devices have a worse battery life than new ones. 

If it is certified preowned, it comes from apple, or has to adhere to their guidelines. My battery has been running my phone for about 2 months now, still showing 100%

Buy what you want, just trying to save you a few bucks. Just google apple certified preowned to learn more. Its not some phone that came out of a hack shop down the street if that's what you are implying. The phone arrived to me in mint, pristine condition. Not a blemish anywhere.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

If it is certified preowned, it comes from apple, or has to adhere to their guidelines. My battery has been running my phone for about 2 months now, still showing 100%

Buy what you want, just trying to save you a few bucks. Just google apple certified preowned to learn more. Its not some phone that came out of a hack shop down the street if that's what you are implying. The phone arrived to me in mint, pristine condition. Not a blemish anywhere.

Apple preowned is pretty hood only issue for me is warranty can’t remember if it’s the full year or 3 months 

Here it’s a year, and you can buy AppleCare as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my iPhone X and wouldn't go back to Android given the option.  I never had a samsung phone but like you around this time in ownership my phones would start to fail, especially in battery life or their charging port.  Something I haven't seen mentioned here is software updates.  That was something android always struggled with and, unless you want to go with a Pixel for somewhat extended support, Apple has had a wonderful track record of supporting their phones for years after release.  Another method of updating could be flashing custom roms to an android phone but I don't think that should really be counted.  That's a maybe that the community will support your phone for after your support is up with the manufacturer and the lack of os updates and security support shouldn't be excused just because there is the option for roms.  On top of that you may not want to install a rom and if that's not for you then your support will most likely not last more than two years on android.  One issue I did have was dust and a little bit of sand got stuck in my lightning port and ended up making it non operable even after cleaning.  I got it replaced for free from Apple because of apple care but if you don't go with apple care repairs can be costly.  Although that was my fault I should've been more diligent on cleaning.  A similar issue happened on my nexus 6p.  A rock didn't get stuck inside but dust did and no matter how much I clean it it still needs to be placed in very specific positions if it's going to take a charge.

• 2 weeks later...

You say you've always wanted to use a 'good voice assistant'. Google assistant is the best thing you can use. Siri isn't as good.

I will always recommend iPhones to people because I believe they're the best all rounders by a long shot, the XS is a great phone and I loved mine. If you can wait I would hold off until September when the 12 line launches though, even if you aren't interested in the latest and greatest the 11 pro will drop in price and thats a substantial upgrade over the XS

3 hours ago, QuaKe5943 said:

You say you've always wanted to use a 'good voice assistant'. Google assistant is the best thing you can use. Siri isn't as good.

It's a good thing you can still use Google Assistant (and Alexa, and...) on an iPhone, then.

I won't dispute that GA is better than Siri in general, although I would actually argue that Siri is better in some ways for things like smart home control.  Try asking Siri and GA to turn a light white.  Siri?  A neutral, natural-looking white.  Google... produces yellow.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's a good thing you can still use Google Assistant (and Alexa, and...) on an iPhone, then.

I won't dispute that GA is better than Siri in general, although I would actually argue that Siri is better in some ways for things like smart home control.  Try asking Siri and GA to turn a light white.  Siri?  A neutral, natural-looking white.  Google... produces yellow.

Bruh. I mean yellow is in the google logo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 12:24 PM, QuaKe5943 said:

well but siri is just smoother as far as i know. I can't use GA with my screen off, sometimes it doesn't open certain apps and the reminders don't work at all. Those things don't happen with siri, plus it also gives you a ton of customization with the shortcuts app.

I switched from android to iphone when the 8 plus came out and I'll only go back to android if apple stops making phones. The software works and I have not had a single issue with it, better then I can say about android. I've been down the just put a rom on it route before and you shouldn't have to do that for your phone to be fast and smooth. I currently use a iphone 11 now and it's been solid, great battery life and camera

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 5/2/2020 at 3:36 PM, Tech_Nico said:

well but siri is just smoother as far as i know. I can't use GA with my screen off, sometimes it doesn't open certain apps and the reminders don't work at all. Those things don't happen with siri, plus it also gives you a ton of customization with the shortcuts app.

To be fair on a phone I’ve never found voice assistants to be anything more than a novelty, google home etc is a different story