should I wait for i9 10900k?

Wait but for the 4700X and 4900X which are due in a few months. Get yourself a good Zen3 CPU and don't bother with the 9900K - an old and hot mess

do you need a cpu now, or is your current system still good enough to drag it out until the next round of cpu releases?

if your current rig is literally not holding together anymore.. get whatever is available now, if your current rig does just fine, there's no sense in upgrading.

why consider 9900k at all? it's only better than 3700x/3900x in some games due to optimisation and higher frequency, but both ryzens are cheaper and the 3900x has higher core count and thread count.

like what @manikyathsaid, get a 3700x/3900x if your rig is literally unbearable to play on or something. if you can wait, then ryzen 4000/intel 10th gen could be a good choice, but nothing certain until we see proper third party benchmarks

If you want yourself a nice 550$ 300W room heater (and have an appropriate cooling system for it), yeah, it's good, otherwise i'd rather wait for Zen 3.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Go for the 9900k, it's an absolute beast, but you need a top air/water cooler for it.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 hour ago, boey said:

why consider 9900k at all? it's only better than 3700x/3900x in some games due to optimisation and higher frequency, but both ryzens are cheaper and the 3900x has higher core count and thread count.

like what @manikyathsaid, get a 3700x/3900x if your rig is literally unbearable to play on or something. if you can wait, then ryzen 4000/intel 10th gen could be a good choice, but nothing certain until we see proper third party benchmarks

There are actually a few reasons to consider a 9900k at least today. It really depends what you do with your PC. 

For strictly gamers a 9900k is the best CPU on the market and it isn't really close in 2020 (how long that lasts though is a different question as games start using more cores). Especially in older titles such as simulation games (iRacing for example) that only use 3 cores at the most. Even in newer games, the majority of games don't use more than 8 cores very often. 

I'm not sure that's enough to justify it's insanely high price. However, on the other hand AMD chips have nearly no resale value in the future while Intel chips hold their value incredibly well. A Ryzen 1800x is about $150-160 on eBay used. Meanwhile, an i7 7700k used on eBay is $250+ still. 

I would wait for 10900k because it will probably have 10/20 at 5ghz and it will be released soon. You gotta have good cooling, keep that in mind. Water would be recommended.

Also, in time 4900x will be released, so I would suggest you to closely check all benchmarks and prices before buying

5 hours ago, toasty99 said:

There are actually a few reasons to consider a 9900k at least today. It really depends what you do with your PC. 

For strictly gamers a 9900k is the best CPU on the market and it isn't really close in 2020 (how long that lasts though is a different question as games start using more cores). Especially in older titles such as simulation games (iRacing for example) that only use 3 cores at the most. Even in newer games, the majority of games don't use more than 8 cores very often. 

I'm not sure that's enough to justify it's insanely high price. However, on the other hand AMD chips have nearly no resale value in the future while Intel chips hold their value incredibly well. A Ryzen 1800x is about $150-160 on eBay used. Meanwhile, an i7 7700k used on eBay is $250+ still. 

Yeah, personally wouldn't get an Intel CPU unless it specifically does better in what I do and I have the money to spend(which is a pretty specific situation)

Also, maybe the resale value thing is because IPC from like 7th gen onwards is more or less the same? the 7700k is still very capable today in gaming(and so is pretty much every i5 and i7 from like the 2nd gen onwards), whereas AMD has come a long way from 1st gen in terms of memory compatibility, frequency, IPC, core count etc.