Time to SET It down - distributed computer project ends after 21 years

williamcll

While everyone is focused running folding @home, another computing project has finally ended after years of running.

SETI@home has announced that they will no longer be distributing new work to clients starting on March 31st as they have enough data and want to focus on completing their back-end analysis of the data.

SETI@home is a distributed computing project where volunteers contribute their CPU resources to analyze radio data from the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico and the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). 

Run by the Berkeley SETI Research Center since 1999, SETI@home has been a popular project where people from all over the world have been donating their CPU resources to process small chunks of data, or "jobs", for interesting radio transmissions or anomalies. This data is then sent back to the researchers for analysis.

SETI@home SETI@home

In an announcement posted yesterday, the project stated that they will no longer send data to SETI@home clients starting on March 31st, 2020 as they have reached a "point of diminishing returns" and have analyzed all the data that they need for now.

Instead, they want to focus on analyzing the back-end results in order to publish a scientific paper.

"It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper," their news announcement stated.

Users who wish to continue to run the SETI@home client may do so, but will not receive any new work until the project decides whether they wish to start sending work to clients again.

For those who wish to donate their CPU resources, SETI@home suggests users select another BOINC project that also supports distributed computing.

Source:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/seti-home-search-for-alien-life-project-shuts-down-after-21-years/

Thoughts: Can't wait to see what they will be reporting.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Search for alien transmission shuts down, this can only mean one thing, they found aliens.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I am both happy that hey have reached the goal but sad that I cant Boinc for Seti anymore. /shrug

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Old news, except that wasn't posted in news. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Search for alien transmission shuts down, this can only mean one thing, they found aliens.

Or gave up coz they found nothing in 20 years. Surely, if there was something, we'd intercept at least a blip.

Or..... Maybe they've found them and now have one of those red phones that can be used to contact them directly at this point. 😁

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

24 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Or gave up coz they found nothing in 20 years. Surely, if there was something, we'd intercept at least a blip.

Not necessarily, the universe is a big place and the signal has to be coming towards us and some has to be listening .

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Fuck... I wanted to beat some alien ass at Magic TCG... My dreams are over...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

25 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Or..... Maybe they've found them and now have one of those red phones that can be used to contact them directly at this point. 😁

No way, it's a modified Motorola pager with a range of a couple galaxies. At least.

On the note of SETI: I thought they had closed down last year.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

19 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Not necessarily, the universe is a big place and the signal has to be coming towards us and some has to be listening .

Seems more like our solar system is in that damn room with no iWiFi (Intergalactic WiFi) reception...

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

The funny thing to think about is that if we did get a transmission from somewhere faraway in the galaxy it would actually be from the past. I mean if you get a transmission from someplace 100 lightyears away then it must have been sent 100 years ago by the time we received it. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The funny thing to think about is that if we did get a transmission from somewhere faraway in the galaxy it would actually be from the past. I mean if you get a transmission from someplace 100 lightyears away then it must have been sent 100 years ago by the time we received it. 

Yeah the aliens we detect will probably be long gone by now 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'm kinda an asshole about it in saying that the search for anything outside of our solar system is a waste of fucking time.  OK cool there's a super intelligent species 7000 light years away.  Unless they're broadcasting how to build a warp drive or allow a means of faster than light communication...it is useless.  You're not getting any further than you can get by theoretically believing there has to be another species out there without needing to actually go search for it.  You don't need to visit a forest to know that trees exist.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah, that's the bitch about space observation from visual and telecommunication perspective. Everything you observe in it is the distant past. The stars we're observing, the planets we're seeing, they are all actually from the past. Some might not even exist anymore and we're just seeing their light from thousands and millions of years ago still reaching us. Or for example an explosion of a star, the supernovas. If we're seeing the explosion now, it just means that star has been gone for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years by the time we see its explosion here on Earth.

Even Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to us which is roughly 4.4 light years away. Whatever we observe in there actually happened 4.4 years ago. It's quite mind bending to comprehend this when we are so used to "what we see now is happening now" here on Earth. Where in space, what we see now has happened in the distant past.

Or from terms of catching a signal from some alien civilization. If we do catch something, it'll mean we caught a signal from civilization that is either long gone in terms of either self destructing itself or migrating even further away (although distancing from the spot of universe creation means chances of finding habitable star system becomes smaller and smaller unless they've gone so far that they could create their own star) by the time signal even reached us. Or the reason why we don't catch anything is they literally transcended to some whole next level of existence that's not even physical anymore or they use means of communications that are not even observable by physical means anymore, some sort of subspace communication that works in way of bending space and eliminating time aspect from it as the distance would be zero and would not need to actually travel the distance, meaning we couldn't even detect it, or through parallel universes in which case it would take centuries to travel there but might be perceived as seconds in our universe, again making it impossible to capture by our means. Or what we are detecting is that signal from parallel universe from species that are not even in our universe timeline.

Aaaaand we're charting weird sci-fi waters already. I think it's all cool and interesting and we need to become interplanetary species soon to guarantee our survival in the long run, but we need to first solve the stuff here on our first planet. Mastering our genetics and diseases is the first step which is why I always said projects like F@H, R@H and WCG are what we should be focusing on and I always thought Seti@home was a waste of time. Even back in 2000's when it was more of a thing than today...

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Heres the thing, Space is unimaginably massive. 20 years of searching is akin to moving 2 single straws of hay while trying to find the needle in the haystack.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)