Reseal delidded CPU

Hello LTT forum

I am planning a delid on my i5-8600k, I have read a lot of guides online, but everybody seems to have different opinions on resealing the HIS. I move my computer around a lot and therefor I would argue that it should be resealed. (the CPU is horizontal mounted btw). Should I reseal or not, and if so, how should I do it, in just the corners or all the way around the IHS (and what glue should I use, everybody seems to use high heat silicon). I have bought the Thermal Grizzly Conducotnaut and some online recommend using nail polish to protect the small components on the substrate from potential liquid metal spill over, is this really needed if I am very careful to apply a thin layer of liquid metal?

I hope someone out there with the experience can give me some good advice, it would be much appreciated.

(just realised the i5 8600k doesn't have any small electronics on the substrate, correct me if i am wrong)

Why do you want to delid? How are your temps? Are you into overclocking? 

I delidded a 4790k and a 4770k and never resealed the IHS because I never used metal thermal paste or anything similar, so it would actually start losing cooling potential over time. 

I used the vice grip method for mine, removed all the excess black silicone around with a credit card, cleaned the old stuff, and since I didn't use a metal thermal grease I did not use nail polish to cover the small components. I didn't reseal and just made sure to hold the IHS in place when I clamped it down with the cpu bracket and it never moves.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

21 minutes ago, Br3tt96 said:

Why do you want to delid? How are your temps? Are you into overclocking? 

I delidded a 4790k and a 4770k and never resealed the IHS because I never used metal thermal paste or anything similar, so it would actually start losing cooling potential over time. 

I used the vice grip method for mine, removed all the excess black silicone around with a credit card, cleaned the old stuff, and since I didn't use a metal thermal grease I did not use nail polish to cover the small components. I didn't reseal and just made sure to hold the IHS in place when I clamped it down with the cpu bracket and it never moves.

I have thought about for a long time now, mainly because of me high temps. I have a small case which restrict my cooler a bit. The problem is when playing certain games my CPU hits 78-80 degrees Celsius. A while back I made a post on the forum about this exact thing to know if there was anything I have been missing (because I would like to avoid a delid). Another member of the forum suggested a delid, confirming my own solution. Now, combined with a GPU upgrade, I thought it was the time to do something about it.

1 minute ago, Mufflen said:

when playing certain games my CPU hits 78-80 degrees Celsius.

Which is perfectly fine. 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

Which is perfectly fine. 

Yeah don't delid for temperatures like that. 

If you want to overclock more then go ahead and delid but your temperatures are fine. 

Reference post for those new to the situation and how the suggestion occured.

Delid is easy.

Yes re-glue the IHS is an ok idea.

Permatex Ultra Black silcon and can be found at automotive parts store.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Delid is easy.

delidding is risky and should be left to overclockers and people that dont mind the risk and want to squeeze out every temp delta they can for their overclocking.

also reliding is risky because he could use more gasket glue than is needed or more thermal paste or less thermal paste which will end up in same or worse temps or a very small difference in temps...

His temperatures are fine he has even headroom to try some mild OCing ... 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Which is perfectly fine. 

Yes i would agree the temperatures are fine as of now.

23 minutes ago, papajo said:

delidding is risky and should be left to overclockers and people that dont mind the risk and want to squeeze out every temp delta they can for their overclocking.

also reliding is risky because he could use more gasket glue than is needed or more thermal paste or less thermal paste which will end up in same or worse temps or a very small difference in temps...

What would you say is max temp for the 8600? In my experience running CPU's at e.g 90 for a longer periode of time is not ideal

19 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Delid is easy.

Yes sould have linked the post, sorry for that completely forgot it.

The guides i have read and the videos on the topic indicates that it isn't so hard to do, and it seems to be easier on the smaller cpu's like the i7 or i5 instead of the higher end i9 cpu's all the online guides are about

Just now, Mufflen said:

Yes sould have linked the post, sorry for that completely forgot it.

The guides i have read and the videos on the topic indicates that it isn't so hard to do, and it seems to be easier on the smaller cpu's like the i7 or i5 instead of the higher end i9 cpu's all the online guides are about

that was poorly written sorry for that

The reason 9000 series processors are difficult to delid is because the plate is soldered. 

The paste quality under the plate on 8000 series chips is very poor. 

It is an option for lower temps.

The max cpu temo for your chip is 100c.

80 to 85c is a good max temp with a stress test AVX load. 

Do not use gaming temps as a basis for decision to delid.

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I beg to differ generic burners do not represent real life usage... gaming does... so unless he is wanting to experiment with his hardware this is the highest temp he will get (when gaming on a demanding title or rendering a video) 

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The reason 9000 series processors are difficult to delid is because the plate is soldered. 

The paste quality under the plate on 8000 series chips is very poor. 

It is an option for lower temps.

The max cpu temo for your chip is 100c.

80 to 85c is a good max temp with a stress test AVX load. 

Aren't some of the first i9 IHS just glued on? Anyways thanks for the advice I will run some test and the determine the fate of my CPU 

2 hours ago, Mufflen said:

I have thought about for a long time now, mainly because of me high temps. I have a small case which restrict my cooler a bit. The problem is when playing certain games my CPU hits 78-80 degrees Celsius. A while back I made a post on the forum about this exact thing to know if there was anything I have been missing (because I would like to avoid a delid). Another member of the forum suggested a delid, confirming my own solution. Now, combined with a GPU upgrade, I thought it was the time to do something about it.

More than in range. Depending on your case room all the internals could run hot anyways

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

59 minutes ago, papajo said:

I beg to differ generic burners do not represent real life usage... gaming does... so unless he is wanting to experiment with his hardware this is the highest temp he will get (when gaming on a demanding title or rendering a video) 

You differ the opinion on the wrong usage. It's not about real world anything. 

A stress test is designed to "test" not simulate a "beanchmark".

Not looking at any other number than Cpu temp.

I couldn't leave my rig folding and try to lean on a gaming temp while number crunching is utilizing all threads. 

Most games do not scale much past 8 threads (said most games, I am aware of excpetions)

So the stress test can also be called a "burn in" where some thermal pastes actually require a hot temp to help setup. 

1 hour ago, Mufflen said:

Aren't some of the first i9 IHS just glued on? Anyways thanks for the advice I will run some test and the determine the fate of my CPU 

I believe so yes. Typically the high wattage high end extreme chips are soldered.

Neat Fact, AMD has soldered IHS plates since socket 940 (AM2) 6400+ Windsor. (I'm a little more familiar with AMD soldered de-lidding fyi)

I'm not concerned for your temps during gaming. That's not the point of a stress test. 1 is for heat and cooler testing. 2nd can be component testing.

I use OCCT which has AVX and AVX2 tests as well as able to leave turned off and even AVX 512 for older AMD processors. Features a LinPack stress test for memory and I feel it's pretty accurate along with a GPU stress test as well. I will caution it's designed to run the processor hot, so please watch the temps closely. (It's not a video game**as a reminder)

57 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You differ the opinion on the wrong usage. It's not about real world anything. 

A stress test is designed to "test" not simulate a "beanchmark".

Not looking at any other number than Cpu temp.

I couldn't leave my rig folding and try to lean on a gaming temp while number crunching is utilizing all threads. 

Most games do not scale much past 8 threads (said most games, I am aware of excpetions)

So the stress test can also be called a "burn in" where some thermal pastes actually require a hot temp to help setup. 

Its all about real world anything! unless you come out as an cooling elitist and whatnot which doesnt matter to most people. 

Its like simple logic... if you aint gonna reach those temps in whatever you do in your everyday life then you dont care what happens IFF you run power houngry stress tests.

Also he doesnt have more than 8 cores to begin with although that being said there are games that utilize more than 8 cores 

last but not least when you are using stock clocks and stock cooler unless you assembled them in a wrong fashion or something is faulty or you keep your pc case covered in blanked or whatnot there is absolutely no need to change anything everything is going to work on manufacturer approved temps and the system is going to have a long life even if you are folding (which OP did not mention he did) 

Its really wrong on many aspects to push people to tinker with warranty voiding stuff (that is also risky especially for the uninitiated) when there is no issue at all 

if you like to do that then its fine but dont misinform OP that he needs deliding or that he should do that because he should not.. he could and that is up to him but its totaly not necessary for the usecase he describes and the situation at hand. 

I understand what you are saying, and respect your opinion sir.

What I meant was my comments are not directed at anything real world besides wanting to know what his temps are on a tested load. It was your idea to use only gaming as a basis to determine if a cooling system can handle the actual BTU the cpu can produce and adequately remove it under any situated load be it real life or a test.

That is all. Other than that, yea his temps are ok during his gaming. 

I stepped in to share information from his previous thread and to share anything that may be useful for him during a de-lid if he so decides to. I do appreciate you sharing the information of the risks and warranty involved, and I do agree. There's even a risk when you update a bios, but that's the first thing people suggest around here lol. 

Hope you understand @papajo what I am conveying here.

First of all, thank you for the great answers. It is nice to get a lot of different opinions on the topic it helps me gain a better understanding of the concept of delidding. Maybe I should had clarified in the start, I have done a lot of research and I know what is was getting into (actually I have already bought the necessary equipment to do the delid). Just for the sake of it, I run my 8600k with a minor overclock and my case is the corsair 250d, the cooling solution is a custom build EKWB loop. I agree, 80-85 C is absolutely fine under gaming load and other stuff like that. I do not personally use stress test (used to but not anymore) because I don’t have the need anymore, but that is of cause a personal taste. I think I will “conduct a research” in that sense that I will take a lot of temperature measurements (not just CPU, the entire system and even my room) Then combined with my needs and the results I am getting, then I will determine whether to do it or not. For now, I will probably postpone my delid.

Once again thank @papajo, @ShrimpBrime, @Br3tt96 for the answers, it was very helpful.

1 minute ago, Mufflen said:

I think I will “conduct a research” in that sense that I will take a lot of temperature measurements (not just CPU, the entire system and even my room) Then combined with my needs and the results I am getting, then I will determine whether to do it or not. For now, I will probably postpone my delid.

Not a bad idea. Gather some good data for comparison. I can give you a rough guestimate. You will slash probably about 10c on average, gaming to full load scenarios. 8700K with the HT drops about 15c on average. 

Here's a reference to De-lidding tutorial for soldered AMD cpus I had created back in 2009. 

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=332705

You're in pretty good hands here. I was doing this long before die mate was invented. long long before ;)

12 hours ago, papajo said:

Need to point out that's not a real factor because when you apply the gasket maker it comes out of the tube in a liquid form and it's not an actual gasket (yet).
The excess, if any will squeeze out allowing the CPU lid to make contact with the die as it should.

I will say if they simply glob it on and then let it sit, that is a different story.

This is how I've always done it with 100% success so far since day one of doing it and I've been doing this for a long time now.

First:

I'll make sure the old gasket material is cleaned off the chip's PCB and the lid, then apply the correct amount of TIM to the chip's die. Next, I'll apply a very thin bead/film of gasket maker to the lid only, then let that sit out for about 5 minutes, then I carefully set the lid back on the chip.

Next, if it's an Intel chip I then place the CPU in the CPU socket of the board and I'll latch it down as if you intend to install the cooler right away but I simply leave it alone at that point, making sure the lid doesn't slide/shift off center to the die as I close the CPU latch.

It's very important to keep the lid centered to the chip as you close the latch down.

If it's an AMD chip I'll let it sit for a little longer, then place it into the socket and place the cooler on it (No TIM applied) and just latch it down.

Alternately you can set the chip on a flat surface pins down and simply place an object with a bit of weight to it on the lid to push it down and let the gasket making material cure that way, making sure the lid remains centered on the chip.

TBH setting an object on it is probrably the best way to go here, at least you can see if the lid remains centered.

In either case I'll leave it all to sit overnight.

The next morning I'll use TIM the lid (Intel) or remove the cooler/object and use TIM on the lid (AMD) then set it up and test the system to see what it does.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2+ years with minimal silicon adhesive, literally just one dot on each opposing corner

I don't think relidding is necessary at all

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I do the corners at a minimum. I’m too lazy to sit this heavy ass pc on its side to mount the cpu. Hate having the ihs move around so much while trying to handle it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

2+ years with minimal silicon adhesive, literally just one dot on each opposing corner

I don't think relidding is necessary at all

Actually relidding could solve problems with stuff like poor contact to the cooler/block if it's required. I recall having to do that a few times after a delid, the cooler in use just didn't sit correctly on the die and eventually became a matter of finding the right cooler/block to use on a delidded chip.

I do agree in most cases doing a complete reseal isn't needed, just the corners to hold the lid in place will do fine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Actually relidding could solve problems with stuff like poor contact to the cooler/block if it's required. I recall having to do that a few times after a delid, the cooler in use just didn't sit correctly on the die and eventually became a matter of finding the right cooler/block to use on a delidded chip.

I do agree in most cases doing a complete reseal isn't needed, just the corners to hold the lid in place will do fine.

I've also seen a lot of people put so much adhesive that it defeats the purpose of delidding, creating a huge space between the IHS and die, so, i guess ymmv and make best judgment

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x