recovering important data from a 9 year old HDD

mxk

Hi, I was trying to recover some family photos from my dad's old WD Green that's 9+ years old but this drive is veeeery slow. I was able to get some stuff off of it that my parents wanted but it took a bit to load. The drive just wouldn't load the windows Users folders, which is what my dad wanted to open because of all the family photos. 

My brother has some program called Disk Drill through his work and I was wondering if that or something else would be any help to get our old family photos.

If anyone can help it would be super appreciated because of the memories on the drive. Thanks in advance.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Just now, NZgamer said:

So the drive does work and you are able to access the data but the drive is slow, correct?

I wasn't able to get past the users folders but there are other parts I could navigate through.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, NZgamer said:

Maybe you could try a drive recovery centre?

My dad was thinking that but I know those can be expensive. I also just wasn't sure because we have access to the enterprise version of Disk Drill.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

26 minutes ago, mxk said:

Hi, I was trying to recover some family photos from my dad's old WD Green that's 9+ years old but this drive is veeeery slow. I was able to get some stuff off of it that my parents wanted but it took a bit to load. The drive just wouldn't load the windows Users folders, which is what my dad wanted to open because of all the family photos. 

My brother has some program called Disk Drill through his work and I was wondering if that or something else would be any help to get our old family photos.

If anyone can help it would be super appreciated because of the memories on the drive. Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Maybe you could try a drive recovery centre?

For the best chances of recovering all your data, send the drive off to a reputable data recovery center ASAP. Use other data recovery methods at your own risk of damaging access to the data further. Disk Drill Pro is a good software, and you may choose to use that before going to the data center method, but keep in mind that the more the drive runs before possibly needing to be sent over to a data center, the greater chance that some of your data won't be able to be recovered.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

DIY attempts at data recovery could cause further damage that may be irrecoverable. It's best to send the drive to a data recovery company.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!