Blower fan or not?

MksDvl

Hi everyone, i'm currently building my new gaming PC on the Corsair Crystal 280x Case. I was aiming for a 2070 Super card or a rx5700xt (although I might just wait for the new 30 series reveal by NVIDIA), but I was wondering considering the ''smaller'' case. Should I go with a blower fan or no?

Thanks

No, there's still some ventilation in front. Hardly much at all, but some.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

22 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

Hi everyone, i'm currently building my new gaming PC on the Corsair Crystal 280x Case. I was aiming for a 2070 Super card or a rx5700xt (although I might just wait for the new 30 series reveal by NVIDIA), but I was wondering considering the ''smaller'' case. Should I go with a blower fan or no?

Thanks

from what I see. the first thing you are going to have to consider is either getting a new case or a different GPU as neither the 2070 super nor the 5700xt will physically fit inside the case so a blower is way out of the question.

corsair case: Maximum GPU Length: 300mm

my GPU: rtx 2070 super. Length: 11.89 in - 301.925 mm

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

from what I see. the first thing you are going to have to consider is either getting a new case or a different GPU as neither the 2070 super nor the 5700xt will physically fit inside the case so a blower is way out of the question.

The case fit GPU up to 300mm wide. According to this build a 2080ti fits with 2 140mm fans on the bottom

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/pPLJ7P

2 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

The case fit GPU up to 300mm wide. According to this build a 2080ti fits with 2 140mm fans on the bottom

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/pPLJ7P

alright then let me ask you this. are you or are you going to water cool the system or air cool only? I ask because with your case, you are basically going to be limited to "founders" edition GPUs (i.e. linked below). these cards are usually about 30mm shorter than what your case will allow so they will fit. the problem with these cards is that they are also hot running, normally 60*C at idle. if you are going to water cool then you can pretty much buy any card you want as the bulk of the card is the heat sync and the fans. and they do make after market water coolers for these cards like the hydro copper from EVGA for 20XX series cards.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-8G/Specification

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

alright then let me ask you this. are you or are you going to water cool the system or air cool only? I ask because with your case, you are basically going to be limited to "founders" edition GPUs (i.e. linked below). these cards are usually about 30mm shorter than what your case will allow so they will fit. the problem with these cards is that they are also hot running, normally 60*C at idle. if you are going to water cool then you can pretty much buy any card you want as the bulk of the card is the heat sync and the fans. and they do make after market water coolers for these cards like the hydro copper from EVGA for 20XX series cards.

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-8G/Specification

I was thinking air cool only. Thanks for the input tho.

1 minute ago, MksDvl said:

I was thinking air cool only. Thanks for the input tho.

alright then do a lot more research of the different GPUs out there. these two things might help you a lot in deciding linked below. the two biggest factors to consider when buying a new GPU are budget and case. what can you or what are you willing to pay for the GPU? will the GPU I want physically fit inside me case? these are questions that you have to ask and answer yourself because only you know what you want.

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

alright then do a lot more research of the different GPUs out there. these two things might help you a lot in deciding linked below. the two biggest factors to consider when buying a new GPU are budget and case. what can you or what are you willing to pay for the GPU? will the GPU I want physically fit inside me case? these are questions that you have to ask and answer yourself because only you know what you want.

Thanks for the info. I watch a lot of builds inside this case before buying it and saw that pretty much every GPU fit in the case. I went on PCpartPicker and watch tons of builds using this case and It seems to not be an issue a lot. I have about 700$ CAD before taxes budget so pretty much a 2070 Super. I was still holding out on the new generation of NVIDIA before buying and by then I will have also more money aside for maybe a 3070 if it's worth it.

2 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

Thanks for the info. I watch a lot of builds inside this case before buying it and saw that pretty much every GPU fit in the case. I went on PCpartPicker and watch tons of builds using this case and It seems to not be an issue a lot. I have about 700$ CAD before taxes budget so pretty much a 2070 Super. I was still holding out on the new generation of NVIDIA before buying and by then I will have also more money aside for maybe a 3070 if it's worth it.

well did those builds have the fans in the front of the case? that takes away some of the space for the GPU. you can remove them for a bigger space but then lose airflow into and out of the case. if you are not having an issue and can wait, then it probably is better to wait for the next series of cards but the "release" date a lot of people in the tech industry are mentioning is more likely to be the announcement that they are going to be making those cards and then its still going to be months or a year before they actually hit the shelves. not to mention the delays because what is going on right now. and I personally don't think its going to be worth it unless someone comes out with a truly 8k display but then again my current card will handle that no problem as I just got a RTX 2070 super yesterday.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

well did those builds have the fans in the front of the case? that takes away some of the space for the GPU. you can remove them for a bigger space but then lose airflow into and out of the case. if you are not having an issue and can wait, then it probably is better to wait for the next series of cards but the "release" date a lot of people in the tech industry are mentioning is more likely to be the announcement that they are going to be making those cards and then its still going to be months or a year before they actually hit the shelves. not to mention the delays because what is going on right now. and I personally don't think its going to be worth it unless someone comes out with a truly 8k display but then again my current card will handle that no problem as I just got a RTX 2070 super yesterday.

Once again thanks a lot for you time. It's my first build in 5 or 6 years and I really fell in love with the case and everything I chose is around it. The builds I saw all had case in the front. I will be using 6 cases fans. The 2 from the case will be on top and 2 in front and bottom will be Corsair AF140. I'm still on the fence about what 2070 super to buy. The Asus 2070S-08G (https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13741375776433931213?q=2070+super&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1MSNA_enCA701CA701&sxsrf=ALeKk02PkT1Jvc2-z2rMb-63kG_UNKEQVg:1585243168647&biw=1920&bih=969&prds=epd:11914250319342294734,paur:ClkAsKraX0xtOvssbcX-1hLKTEYsI3cNoqSm-eDPefvfPRyJWB3E0Jlfj6suGIxRk05QQOZmU4i_b8qc84eLZmIzPh-FOIji2RP9VlD36QyFX24EuH9OFHnwiRIZAFPVH731aPc21RTUIvrpK8zx2f33Qy_17w,prmr:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBlrqA07joAhVbgXIEHW_NBgcQ8gIIygQ) or the Gigabyte (https://www.newegg.ca/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-super-gv-n207sgamingoc-white-8gd/p/N82E16814932219?item=N82E16814932219&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwordsca-pc-_-pla-_-video+card+-+nvidia-_-N82E16814932219&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZoG2_OzjwEzXmRoJCPsB2zOn5PCAMT7gYed8Co3-JwDrOwe9xLrAKkaAirQEALw_wcB)

26 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

you are welcome for the info. I did my first build in Nov. of 2018 and kept only the GPU and CPU cooler from the computer I replaced because both worked and the CPU cooler was actually bigger than the one that came with the CPU. I just recently changed my GPU because the old one I kept starting failing on me so I decided with the 2070 super. EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA+, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Triple + iCX2, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3377-KR, 8GB 15.5GHz GDDR6

make sure you take a look at that list because on that list is has the gigabyte as a 

and the gigabyte as a Tier C Midrange (good PCB, midrange cooler)

Gigabyte: Gaming OC

and the asus as a 

Tier D Low-Midrange (okay cooled cards, decent enough pcb)

Asus: Dual

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

you are welcome for the info. I did my first build in Nov. of 2018 and kept only the GPU and CPU cooler from the computer I replaced because both worked and the CPU cooler was actually bigger than the one that came with the CPU. I just recently changed my GPU because the old one I kept starting failing on me so I decided with the 2070 super. EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA+, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Triple + iCX2, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3377-KR, 8GB 15.5GHz GDDR6

make sure you take a look at that list because on that list is has the gigabyte as a 

and the gigabyte as a Tier C Midrange (good PCB, midrange cooler)

Gigabyte: Gaming OC

and the asus as a 

Tier D Low-Midrange (okay cooled cards, decent enough pcb)

Asus: Dual

Will do. My first build was on the cheap end. I had a FX-6300 CPU (not bad at the time) and 16 gig DDR3 1.8 MHz Ram. I was running a GTX 660 playing mostly Diablo 3. But now D4 is announced and I want to get this sucker up to at least 60 FPS on 2k resolution. I think the 2070 Super will hold up good and I'm also juggling between the CPU a Ryzen 5 3600x (cheaper on amazon canada right now then the 3600? I don't know why) or a Ryzen 7 3700x.

1 hour ago, MksDvl said:

Should I go with a blower fan or no?

If you're comfortable having either a really loud fan (like +50dBa or higher) or making and attaching an external muffler to your system, all while having somewhat worse temps, then you can go for the blower... If none of those really tickle your fancy, it's probably best to avoid the blower style coolers.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

17 minutes ago, MksDvl said:

Will do. My first build was on the cheap end. I had a FX-6300 CPU (not bad at the time) and 16 gig DDR3 1.8 MHz Ram. I was running a GTX 660 playing mostly Diablo 3. But now D4 is announced and I want to get this sucker up to at least 60 FPS on 2k resolution. I think the 2070 Super will hold up good and I'm also juggling between the CPU a Ryzen 5 3600x (cheaper on amazon canada right now then the 3600? I don't know why) or a Ryzen 7 3700x.

either way you go the CPU and GPU will be more than enough to handle that. but since you are looking at AMD stuff. be warned that AMD has been having some issue with their drivers with people having to go back to the previous version to get a stable computer again. I am not trying to scare you away from them but just pay attention and do some more research besides here.

3 minutes ago, tdkid said:

be warned that AMD has been having some issue with their drivers with people having to go back to the previous version to get a stable computer again. I am not trying to scare you away from them but just pay attention and do some more research besides here.

The vast majority of those issues are fixed, and the only remaining major issue resides with Enhanced Sync. (just turn it off, it's effectively pointless anyways)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Just now, BTGbullseye said:

The vast majority of those issues are fixed, and the only remaining major issue resides with Enhanced Sync. (just turn it off, it's effectively pointless anyways)

they are not fixed when someone comes onto one of the many forum threads about them saying that they are fixed only to have someone make a new thread about the issue the person just fixed. but either way, if they are or are not. if you choose them its a completely personal opinion as you think its what is best for you and what you like which is the only way it should be.

It as always been like that with AMD. I had a computer with amd gpu in 2010 and some games were really buggy.

9 hours ago, tdkid said:

they are not fixed when someone comes onto one of the many forum threads about them saying that they are fixed only to have someone make a new thread about the issue the person just fixed.

That's 99% of the time either unupdated drivers, (or not DDUing the drivers before updating) or something unrelated causing the problem. The other 1% it's not the same problem at all, even though it appears to be.

7 hours ago, MksDvl said:

It as always been like that with AMD. I had a computer with amd gpu in 2010 and some games were really buggy.

Most of that now is actually because of the games, not the drivers or hardware. AAA developers are getting really bad at making stable game engines. (see anything that comes from Ubisoft)