Looking for a type of server cable?

ZeusXI

So I am not sure exactly where I should post this kind of topic. But I have this Fireguard XTM 5 series 515 and I am wondering if there is some sort of RJ45 like cable that converts to a USB or to my ethernet port or something. Not exactly sure how to get a connection from it, as this would be my first time using a console port as a side project.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/hardware guides/XTM_5_Series_HardwareGuide_XTM_515-545.pdf

Here is the link for it as well as an image for what im asking for

Untitled.thumb.png.bb3ae980990f228457efed2a2a217ef6.png

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's called a rollover cable and connects to a serial port on your computer.

Oh cool! So is there something like that, but connects via a usb? I dont think I have any computer laying around that has that adapter on the left

unless its the port that says IOIOI A? I do have a computer with something like that.

You can use this, but youll have to find one in stock locally 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RS232-Serial-Console-Rollover-Routers/dp/B01DU7C28C

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Oh cool! So is there something like that, but connects via a usb? I dont think I have any computer laying around that has that adapter on the left

unless its the port that says IOIOI A? I do have a computer with something like that.

Check the manual and see if those USB ports can be used for management, my FortGate does for example and also has the serial console port.

Otherwise you'll need a USB to serial adapter or as mentioned above one that directly converts to USB.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's called a rollover cable and connects to a serial port on your computer.

295300.image0.jpg

hello cisco my old frieeeeeend

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Check the manual and see if those USB ports can be used for management, my FortGate does for example and also has the serial console port.

Otherwise you'll need a USB to serial adapter or as mentioned above one that directly converts to USB.

just to make things more simple over time, would this be a good fit? 

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1-8-Cisco-Console-Cable/dp/B07PN72J97/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=startech+Cisco+Console+Cable+USB+to+RJ45&qid=1585227101&sr=8-3&swrs=B0692F670FAC597CC1F4503718C3AEC0

6 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Yep, I've used the StarTech stuff before and it's always worked fine.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yep, I've used the StarTech stuff before and it's always worked fine.

Always been a fan of Statech. Got lots of adapters for them, and willing to pay a little more just for the quality