Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Announcing new combined topic for F@H. Official LTT F@H FAQ & Guide.

I've been running Rosetta@Home jobs via BOINC off and on for the past week, but once I added GPUgrid to the mix (Rosetta doesn't use GPU it appears), I've noticed a large uptick in jobs that end in Computation Errors.  GPUGrid jobs never error.  I've read that computation errors can also come from improperly compiled jobs as well.  Any theories or explanations?  I'm clueless on this, but seeing so many jobs error out after over 6 hours of work have been put into them is quite annoying.

The computer isn't actively running any other applications other than the software locking the GPU power and custom fan curves.  Otherwise the system is sitting locked.

Is it possible that the BOINC software is actually dumber than I expected in terms of handling system resources or is this something else? Current stats for Rosetta: 90 valid jobs, 41 error jobs.

Just now, 42thgamer said:

If I get them I click the "Update" bottom and they get resolved then.

They get resolved by being removed.  You don't get credit for errored jobs.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

They get resolved by being removed.  You don't get credit for errored jobs.

Ow I thought you did.

Any other thoughts or suggestions from anyone?

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Any other thoughts or suggestions from anyone?

I've recently been getting a few compilation errors here and there with Rosetta@home, on a system I know is stable and has been running R@H and F@H together for the last 3 months. But yours seem unusual. My stats(over the last 3 months) are 262 completed tasks and 11 failed tasks.

Desktop build : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 16GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | 3GB Zotac GTX 1060 Mini (O/C) | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Laptop : Lenovo Yoga 3 14 - Core i7-5500U | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 256GB SSD | 2GB Geforce GT 940M

On further testing, it looks like BOINC w/Rosetta wants to error out most jobs if the GPU is running at all...on F@H or BOINC.

I think I'm going to turn off Evga Precision X1 which is capping GPU power level and handing the custom fan curves...that's the only other thing I can think of that's a potential factor.

Going to bump up the memory limiter as well since I have seen Rosetta tasks sitting in Waiting on Memory status.

Signed up for another project that's CPU primarily.  Completely shut off Precision X1.  Completely unloaded F@H from memory.

Rosetta@Home still throws computation errors at a high percentage rate...but no other project does.

Very weird...but doesn't seem to be related to other software I'm running or affect any other project.

I have the same issue. It seems that Rosetta@Home really hates sharing cpu resources even though there are few cpu cores left which are plenty enough to run other applications.

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

• 11 months later...

Hello Piney Creek (From SimonFastEddy)

I usually post on TenForums  but I am trying Linux now....

Your post was a year old when I encountered it (March 25th 2020) and you may have discovered a solution to the computation errors in BOINC Rosetta at home.  The Internet is full of similar posts.

Did you find a solution?

I am running Linux Deepin 15.11 and I am having the same high rate of computation errors.  The tasks from drhicks, rb and 3cl are completed OK but those from  sea_site, and tdp fail.  I would say that it is a compilation error in some tasks. However, I didn't get this problem running Rosetta at home on Windows 10.  I am wondering if it's a Linux specific issue.  It will be a while ( two weeks or so) before I re-image the computer with the Windows 10 installation.  So - in the interim....

I am just aborting the bad tasks and allowing the program to re-load fresh tasks; not a problem since they routinely fail at about T+ 5 minutes.  Did any thing come up in the last year that is worth considering?

I am a microbiologist and not a computer expert so go easy on the jargon.

Thanks everybody.

On 3/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, SimonFastEddy said:

Hello Piney Creek (From SimonFastEddy)

I usually post on TenForums  but I am trying Linux now....

Your post was a year old when I encountered it (March 25th 2020) and you may have discovered a solution to the computation errors in BOINC Rosetta at home.  The Internet is full of similar posts.

Did you find a solution?

I am running Linux Deepin 15.11 and I am having the same high rate of computation errors.  The tasks from drhicks, rb and 3cl are completed OK but those from  sea_site, and tdp fail.  I would say that it is a compilation error in some tasks. However, I didn't get this problem running Rosetta at home on Windows 10.  I am wondering if it's a Linux specific issue.  It will be a while ( two weeks or so) before I re-image the computer with the Windows 10 installation.  So - in the interim....

I am just aborting the bad tasks and allowing the program to re-load fresh tasks; not a problem since they routinely fail at about T+ 5 minutes.  Did any thing come up in the last year that is worth considering?

I am a microbiologist and not a computer expert so go easy on the jargon.

Thanks everybody.

It stopped on its own when Rosetta updated the engine version they were using.  I was running it on a Win10 machine as well when I experienced the initial problem.  I haven't ran BOINC tasks for about 4 months now though.

Hello Piney Creek, 

From SimonFastEddy

Dated: April 5th 2021

Thank you for your reply.  I transferred the Rosetta at home work onto a system image using the same computer but running Windows 10 build 19042.867 instead of Linux Deepin 15.11. I found that it runs all the original tasks without computation errors on that Windows 10 Pro image.

It looks like Rah is either fundamentally fighting Linux Deepin 15.11 or it just doesn't like the tasks which maybe are not configured for running on Linux. No way of knowing I guess!

No problems switching system images using Macrium Reflect other than the Linux Backups and Restores take 2 hours to complete, rather than 10 minutes with Windows.  Also Linux doesn't file-share on a mixed Linux/Windows 10 network.  So - on balance, I will probably run a few swap-overs to see how things shape-up but stick with Windows 10 until these major problems are corrected.

Thank you PineyCreek, you were very helpful.  I am grateful.

SimonFastEddy