Upgrade Thinkpad E495 wifi+BT card

ricardodacp

Hey there!

A couple months ago I got a Thinkpad E495 that came with the Realtek 8822BE wifi + BT. For browser use its fine, but if I'm gaming on wifi it has pretty bad lag spikes all the time, which makes the game unplayable.

So, I saw many people telling that the Intel 9260 is the best option, but I also asked on /r/Thinkpad and someone told me the AX200 is the way to go.

What is the way to go?

Thanks!

Intel 9260 is an AC card and AX200 as the name suggests is an AX / WIFI6 card.

The AX200 only costs slightly more, so I don't see any reason not to go for that since it's newer and better.

HOWEVER I've just upgraded my desktop machines with AX200's and I noticed that alot of the listings on Ebay mentioned the cards not working in Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

Like in this listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-6-AX200-AX200NGW-Wireless-802-11ax-2-4Gbps-WiFi-Bluetooth-5-0-Wireless-Card/392290846941?hash=item5b565b48dd:g:HI0AAOSwp0ZebHNq

However I also know that some people have bought the card from that listing and they've worked without problems in their T and X series Thinkpads.

So if you want the AX card you probably need to Google around to see if anyone have tried it, or buy the AC card if you just want it to work.

2 hours ago, Denned said:

Intel 9260 is an AC card and AX200 as the name suggests is an AX / WIFI6 card.

The AX200 only costs slightly more, so I don't see any reason not to go for that since it's newer and better.

HOWEVER I've just upgraded my desktop machines with AX200's and I noticed that alot of the listings on Ebay mentioned the cards not working in Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

Like in this listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-6-AX200-AX200NGW-Wireless-802-11ax-2-4Gbps-WiFi-Bluetooth-5-0-Wireless-Card/392290846941?hash=item5b565b48dd:g:HI0AAOSwp0ZebHNq

However I also know that some people have bought the card from that listing and they've worked without problems in their T and X series Thinkpads.

So if you want the AX card you probably need to Google around to see if anyone have tried it, or buy the AC card if you just want it to work.

Thank you for the explanation, that was very helpful. I'll dig a little deeper about the AX200.