new gpu, brief blue screen on startup

MarleysBeard

Went from gtx 970 to the rtx 2070 super. User benchmark shows the card working very well but every time I start or restart the pc I get a short 1-3 second blue screen. No error messages. Then it goes to the mobo boot screen and starts normally. Using hdmi because I forgot to buy a displayport cable but I'm going to do that this morning. Only other symptom I noticed is some hesitation on startup where it revs up then slows down before revving back up. I did notice things looking a bit "soft" in game but I'm not sure if that's being cause by the hdmi not supporting 144hz, which I'm used too. I did not use DDU because I went from nvidia to nvidia but I did install the latest drivers for the new card from nvidia.

System specs:
-Windows 10 64bit
-EVGA 650 watt 80+ gold
-Aorus elite x570
-ryzen 5 3600
-GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC
-2x8gb 3200mhz team dark pro
-caviar blue 1TB + samsung evo 860 250gb

-Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz

You shoud use some tool from Nvidia to reeinstall your drivers or even use DDU , it´s Nvidia GPU but are different GPU´s anyway . That will not take long and you can have sure if it is a driver issue or not . 

1 hour ago, Rui Neves said:

You shoud use some tool from Nvidia to reeinstall your drivers or even use DDU , it´s Nvidia GPU but are different GPU´s anyway . That will not take long and you can have sure if it is a driver issue or not . 

When I installed the new GPU's drivers it said it was removing the old driver along the bottom of the installation screen so I assume it at least tried to get rid of the old drivers before installing the new ones. That being said I suppose I should try DDU. Reading the instructions for DDU on the guru3d page was a bit intimidating so I was hoping to avoid it.

1 minute ago, MarleysBeard said:

When I installed the new GPU's drivers it said it was removing the old driver along the bottom of the installation screen so I assume it at least tried to get rid of the old drivers before installing the new ones. That being said I suppose I should try DDU. Reading the instructions for DDU on the guru3d page was a bit intimidating so I was hoping to avoid it.

try DDU , is not so hard .You can follow up some videos too if you´re afraid . 

18 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

try DDU , is not so hard .You can follow up some videos too if you´re afraid . 

Interestingly I just got home with my new DisplayPort cable and hooked it up. Restarted the PC and no blue screen. Maybe something about the HDMI cable was causing the issue. Will test a bit more to be sure.

@MarleysBeard

This blue-screening, does it happen right after the computer fully goes into restart, and before it boots back up?

It could be just how the monitor (Asus vg248qe) behaves when it loses a display signal -- which will happen when you reboot.

I think my old ASUS VS228P did that as well...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

22 minutes ago, MarleysBeard said:

Interestingly I just got home with my new DisplayPort cable and hooked it up. Restarted the PC and no blue screen. Maybe something about the HDMI cable was causing the issue. Will test a bit more to be sure.

maybe . but what @-rascal- it´s saying makes logic too .