There are no kids, no schools, and no playgrounds in GTA.

Somehow I only recently noticed this, and it struck my curiosity. Why do you think this is?

On some level, it’s obvious. If there were kids in GTA, you could conduct simulated violence against kids, which of course, is more frowned upon than doing the same to adults.

But is there deeper reasoning to this?

Would Rockstar games be opening themselves to civil liabilities? Would they be violating laws?

Or is it solely out of the good of their hearts that the game only includes adult NPCs and buildings?

2 minutes ago, TheAncientLegend said:

Or is it solely out of the good of their hearts that the game only includes adult NPCs and buildings?

What?

>Moved to PC Gaming.

It's the same for most (all?) games. In Skyrim the children that are in the game are all unkillable NPCs.
And yeah. No games want to depict violence against children.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, TheAncientLegend said:

it’s obvious. If there were kids in GTA, you could conduct simulated violence against kids

giphy.gif

Correction:

There is a playground in GTA, in the fourth installment to be specific:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Correction:

There is a playground in GTA, in the fourth installment to be specific:

Interesting, I didn't know that. A totally empty playground though.

18 minutes ago, TheAncientLegend said:

Somehow I only recently noticed this, and it struck my curiosity. Why do you think this is?

On some level, it’s obvious. If there were kids in GTA, you could conduct simulated violence against kids, which of course, is more frowned upon than doing the same to adults.

But is there deeper reasoning to this?

Would Rockstar games be opening themselves to civil liabilities? Would they be violating laws?

if you could kill children the game would probably get banned entirely. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

2 minutes ago, TheAncientLegend said:

Yes, there are games that depict violence against children. If you read the page, you'll notice how the game was banned from several platforms and there's huge controversy.

For all it's worth: In Fallout 2 you could kill children and you'd even get a child killer perk (and be hunted down by bounty hunters ever since). Later versions of the game no longer allow kids to be killed or hurt in any way... ~edit: And I think that was actually removed from the European version of Fallout 2.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 minutes ago, TheAncientLegend said:

Interesting, I didn't know that. A totally empty playground though.

Sure.. But just wanted to point it out!

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

And I think that was actually removed from the European version of Fallout 2.

Must be. I see Fallout 2 is PEGI 16+ rated (PEGI being the European ESRB, who both apply age rating to games), while PEGI's guidelines state this about 16+ and 18+:

16+:

This rating is applied once the depiction of violence [...] reaches a stage that looks the same as would be expected in real life. [...]

18+:
The adult classification is applied when the level of violence reaches a stage where it becomes a depiction of gross violence, apparently motiveless killing, or violence towards defenceless characters. [...]

https://pegi.info/what-do-the-labels-mean

I cut out some irrelevant parts.

The rating had to be 18+ if they included the child murder stuff, since they are likely classified by players as 'defense-less' characters. So if they included that 'feature', the games must have been 18+, not 16+.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Because soem weirdos would kill them. So RS just dont take any chances. Understandable.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

40 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, there are games that depict violence against children. If you read the page, you'll notice how the game was banned from several platforms and there's huge controversy.

For all it's worth: In Fallout 2 you could kill children and you'd even get a child killer perk (and be hunted down by bounty hunters ever since). Later versions of the game no longer allow kids to be killed or hurt in any way... ~edit: And I think that was actually removed from the European version of Fallout 2.

In FO3 it wasnt possible to kill the Children. And guess what, a mod was created. I like weird and crazy things and im mostly against all kind of censorship. But Children are out of the Question.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, minibois said:

The rating had to be 18+ if they included the child murder stuff, since they are likely classified by players as 'defense-less' characters. So if they included that 'feature', the games must have been 18+, not 16+.

I live in Europe, but I must've played the US version back then, because you could definitely kill them. Also keep in mind that Fallout 2 is a fairly old game and a lot of its dark humor would probably not make it into more modern games (I mean, you can kick people in the groin and get status messages like "looks like her child bearing days are over")

The thing is, Fallout 2 does feature violence (quite a lot) but it's not a primary goal. You can talk your way through a lot of situations and hurting/killing children is actively discouraged by branding you with the child killer "perk" if you do. The perk causes bounty hunters to appear, some characters will leave your party or turn hostile and I think a lot NPCs will refuse interaction. I assume it's quite hard to actually complete the game once you do (never tried).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply