My Corsair SF750 Power Supply died on me. Please recommend a Replacement?

Lester Chan
9 minutes ago, Chucklenut said:

I never would have thought a premium PSU is capable of tripping a mains circuit breaker while on standby.

No brand is safe from random failures, that's what warranty is for.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just created an account to add salt to the wound. I bought one unit of SF750 in Feb in Singapore from Dynacore. It’s Convergent’s stock btw. The serial number is 19524863000067160126. So it’s pretty much the same batch with my 2 fellow Singaporean over here. It tripped my house electricity once but then still work so I did not know there was a problem. Only to realise it later on when it sparked every now and then, even when the pc is not on. It could work for a day no prob but could sparks and turns off right after I turn on the pc. Or it could even sparks when the pc is not on. Quite a loud one with white flash.

I was sent for a long oversea trip in Vietnam and brought my pc along. I could not send it back to SG for RMA so went to buy a new one from a local retailer (SPC). Same things happened.

Honestly at first I thought there were some problem with my pc or casing so I tried troubleshooting one by one. None have problem. I even tried running the set up barebone, problem still persists. Then I went to borrow a cheap XFX psu from my friend to test run and it has been running well for more than a month.

I was so desperate to buy a new one but there was a recall by SPC for SF750 and afaik, there has been a shortage for 1 month+ and counting as the whole batch went sour. I did not keep the serial number as they agreed to refund me but I will try to find it somehow. Probably the same batch.

There are a few things that I did notice:

- The 24 pins were freaking tight, I had a lot of trouble plugging in and out when swapping the 2 units as I tried using the set of cables that comes with each.

- The PSUs have problem turning on for the first time. It takes some wall socket plugging in and out to like give it a shock to get it up and running lol. 

Yep.  Looks like it came out of the same batch as the others.

@hoanglh94  Please try to get the S/N from the unit bought in Vietnam.  Would love to know if it's from the same batch.

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yep.  Looks like it came out of the same batch as the others.

@hoanglh94  You had the S/N from the first one but not the one from Vietnam?

Yep, as mentioned, I did not keep the record as I returned it in 2 days. The Singapore unit is still with me as the RMA ticket (direct to Corsair) is taking 1 month and counting to get processed. 

5 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

Yep, as mentioned, I did not keep the record as I returned it in 2 days. The Singapore unit is still with me as the RMA ticket (direct to Corsair) is taking 1 month and counting to get processed. 

Yeah.  Sorry.  Re-read your post then edited mine.

Between CNY, COVID-19 and then this batch of units, we'll probably be waiting a long time for replacements.  :(

That said, there's always SF600.

Third failed unit in the same batch? Looks like there should be considerably more if we have three people in one place here. Great Wall should be prepared for some whipping after all this COVID stuff ends 🙃

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  Sorry.  Re-read your post then edited mine.

Between CNY, COVID-19 and then this batch of units, we'll probably be waiting a long time for replacements.  :(

That said, there's always SF600.

Yeah I dont know if the advanced RMA would help getting me one soon. Your Company’s advance RMA payment gateway fails on me just now btw.

I tried seeking for an SF600 but also out of stock in Vietnam. I’m not very confident with it driving my 8700k and 2080S for a long run anw...

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Third failed unit in the same batch? Looks like there should be considerably more if we have three people in one place here. Great Wall should be prepared for some whipping after all this COVID stuff ends 🙃

More than that actually. At least 3 Singaporean complaining but probably a lot of Vietnamese are complaining as well, just that many of them are not very well versed in English and they do not know about the existence of LTT or reddit :)

27 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

More than that actually. At least 3 Singaporean complaining but probably a lot of Vietnamese are complaining as well, just that many of them are not very well versed in English and they do not know about the existence of LTT or reddit :)

I would love to find a Vietnamese forum to jump into to see if there are as many failures there.  I've only been checking here and Reddit and occasionally googling "SF750".

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I would love to find a Vietnamese forum to jump into to see if there are as many failures there.  I've only been checking here and Reddit and occasionally googling "SF750".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vietnamSFF/ Since SFF is quite niche so here is one which I did see some Vietnamese complaining. Anw, most of the time people in Vietnam will just go back to the distributor to claim warranty rather than going to tech forums to ask around and such. I can help collecting the cases if needed. 

Same here...bought from Dynacore during late March and once complete built during April after parts arrived. Next day power trip - psu dead. Serial number same running range as previous mention.

• `19524863000067160085` (Lester)
  • `19524863000067160086` (Chucklenut)
  • `1952863000067160126` (hoanglh94)
  • `19524863000067160123` (L3nnon)

Due to Covid & unsure if RMA or 1to1 exchange is avaliable - decided to purchase Seasonic SGX650 at ad hoc higher cost due to my work still got to continue.

Psu yet to arrive but worried if any other items fried though? Can anyone or Lester, Chucklenut or Hoanglh94 had any PC component affected?

14 hours ago, L3nnon said:

Same here...bought from Dynacore during late March and once complete built during April after parts arrived. Next day power trip - psu dead. Serial number same running range as previous mention.

Due to Covid & unsure if RMA or 1to1 exchange is avaliable - decided to purchase Seasonic SGX650 at ad hoc higher cost due to my work still got to continue.

Psu yet to arrive but worried if any other items fried though? Can anyone or Lester, Chucklenut or Hoanglh94 had any PC component affected?

My apology for the typo. Mine also starts with 19524863 :). 

Mine is still running fine so far although the solder at the back of my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac  melted...

0FD25752-C08A-43B6-BC39-3D21ADE22F24.jpeg

14 hours ago, L3nnon said:

Given the type of failure, the chances that the PSU damaged any other componets is < 1%.

Did you do the RMA with Corsair or Dynacore?  I would think doing the RMA with Corsair would get you a replacement sooner.

9 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

Mine is still running fine so far although the solder at the back of my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming itx/ac  melted...

0FD25752-C08A-43B6-BC39-3D21ADE22F24.jpeg

I'm not convinced that has anything to do with the PSU.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not convinced that has anything to do with the PSU.

Do you mind telling us what the failure type was for this batch of SF750?

Yeah I’m not entirely sure what was the cause but that’s what I found out after the sparks :).

10 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

Do you mind telling us what the failure type was for this batch of SF750?

Yeah I’m not entirely sure what was the cause but that’s what I found out after the sparks :).

The failure is on the PFC diode on the primary side.  That's why it wouldn't damage anything on the secondary side.

The problem isn't even with a faulty diode.  But poor handing of the diode and the insulator between the diode and the heatsink that caused the problem.  Given that this is from China, I'm sure the person responsible has been taken to Tienanmen square and publicly executed.

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The failure is on the PFC diode on the primary side.  That's why it wouldn't damage anything on the secondary side.

The problem isn't even with a faulty diode.  But poor handing of the diode and the insulator between the diode and the heatsink that caused the problem.  Given that this is from China, I'm sure the person responsible has been taken to Tienanmen square and publicly executed.

That makes sense. Those sparks are definitely coming from something shorted. I'm just surprised how they passed QC 😕

6 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

That makes sense. Those sparks are definitely coming from something shorted. I'm just surprised how they passed QC 😕

The high humidity in S.E.A. is why they're failing.  QC (like burn in) is done in high heat.  Not high humidity.

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The high humidity in S.E.A. is why they're failing.  QC (like burn in) is done in high heat.  Not high humidity.

That's not convincing to me tbh. My room is always air-conditioned as I can't with stand hot & humid weather. 

3 minutes ago, hoanglh94 said:

That's not convincing to me tbh. My room is always air-conditioned as I can't with stand hot & humid weather. 

Doesn't matter what your room is. It was probably sitting in a hot and humid storage room with no air conditioning for a long time before you bought it.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Given the type of failure, the chances that the PSU damaged any other componets is < 1%.

Did you do the RMA with Corsair or Dynacore?  I would think doing the RMA with Corsair would get you a replacement sooner.

Contacted Convergent, due to Covid (current lockdown), they can't perform any exchange - basically asking me to wait "period" however as I bought from Dynacore retailer (luckily 30days exchange policy); they are doing their best resolved with other methods (eg; swap for RAMs or SSD etc) - I applaud for Dynacore dedication & empathy on customer's interest for me since I could use my friend's loan PSU or await my SGX650 arrival. "Been a loyal supporter to Seasonic for past 8years till recent change to ITX - wanted the best SFX PSU" but well this is life, shit happens.

11 hours ago, L3nnon said:

Contacted Convergent, due to Covid (current lockdown), they can't perform any exchange - basically asking me to wait "period" however as I bought from Dynacore retailer (luckily 30days exchange policy); they are doing their best resolved with other methods (eg; swap for RAMs or SSD etc) - I applaud for Dynacore dedication & empathy on customer's interest for me since I could use my friend's loan PSU or await my SGX650 arrival. "Been a loyal supporter to Seasonic for past 8years till recent change to ITX - wanted the best SFX PSU" but well this is life, shit happens.

Contact Corsair.  

The Taiwan office is open and everyone in the U.S. is working from home.  :D

12 hours ago, hoanglh94 said:

12 hours ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Doesn't matter what your room is. It was probably sitting in a hot and humid storage room with no air conditioning for a long time before you bought it.

Yeah.  This.  

I cringe at some of the conditions of some warehouses, storage rooms, etc.  Not conducive to maintaining the quality of electronics.

Corsair actually had a massive failure of AIO coolers once because they were stored in a warehouse up North (Baltics, I think?) without heat.  The coolant froze!  The hoses burst!  What a mess!!!

Yeah. It’s actually hassle free to send stuffs oversea in Singapore so you can contact Corsair, L3nnon :). My RMA unit is otw, hopefully I could receive it soon.

1 hour ago, hoanglh94 said:

Yeah. It’s actually hassle free to send stuffs oversea in Singapore so you can contact Corsair, L3nnon :). My RMA unit is otw, hopefully I could receive it soon.

Do you have to pay return/shipping fee though?