Turning a Ryzen CPU into a single core

What would happen if you went into AMD's Ryzen Master software and disabled all but one of the cpu cores? I'm guessing performance would take a massive hit, even in simple tasks like browsing the internet and word processing, but would there be less heat output? Could you overclock further because it's just one core? I'm really curious. 

Most common tasks are single core oriented.

But the real question here is.. why do you want to this?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm guessing this is just an experiment. Therefore, why not try it? Go find out and tell us, I'm curious.

27 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

What would happen if you went into AMD's Ryzen Master software and disabled all but one of the cpu cores? I'm guessing performance would take a massive hit, even in simple tasks like browsing the internet and word processing, but would there be less heat output? Could you overclock further because it's just one core? I'm really curious. 

Buy the lowest end Ryzen with least cores. Ryzen 3 is quad core iirc. Maybe there are even some dual cores with SMT which you can turn off.

28 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Most common tasks are single core oriented.

But the real question here is.. why do you want to this?

16 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

But why? You do know that there still needs to be a good balance between speed and cores for good performance and heat, right?

Purely out of curiosity. I was thinking that with the majority of cores disabled, you may be able to overclock all the way to the power limit, without hitting the thermal threshold. Those who have 1st gen ryzen chips could potentially attain better game performance by using a faux "dual core" overclocked CPU... Right now I have a Ryzen 5 1600 in one PC and a 2600x in another PC, so I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

11 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

I guess it would be an interesting experiment. Be sure to share your results with us

I shall let you know.