Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the most silent HDD type?

So my HDD gave up yesterday and i need a new one. I want it to be really quiet, I was thinking of a 2.5inch HDD (as so was my last one), because they seem to be really quiet. Is there a better choice or is going with a 2.5inch a good idea?

1 minute ago, qxa said:

Why not go with an SSD?

speed isn't worth the extra price for a secondary drive.

If you're randomly picking a drive from a pile then a 2.5" will on average be quieter than a 3.5". However 2.5" drives are quiet mostly by accident and as a result specific low vibration 3.5" drives are even quieter. The 3.5" WD Red series (the regular ones, not the 7200rpm Red Pro) are the go to for silent systems that need HDD storage because of their outstanding acoustics. Due to similar builds the WD Greens were also very quiet but had certain quirks which led them to be discontinued.

If you prefer silence over performance look at 5400 RPM drives. I had the same requirements because I had huge SSD as my main drive but needed even bigger HDD and noise was my first and main concern. Bought 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 8TB 5400 RPM and so far I'm very happy with it. I do have anti-vibration dampeners on the HDD cage so that soaks some of the noise, but it really isn't loud. If I'm in a complete silence (and my system is really super quiet in idle) and if I really pay attention I can hear a faint noise from the read/write head, but it's so faint it's not distracting. 2.5" drives might be even quieter, but they top out at 5TB I think and they tend to cost more too. I just need more.

So, when price and silence are main priority, go with 3.5" Seagate Barracuda 8TB 5400 RPM (other capacities may apply for as long as it's 5400 RPM) and only because I can confirm it's quiet from first hand experience. Otherwise it's a nightmare to pick something quiet purely based on rated specs manufacturer says. Especially when raw decibels can be meaningless if the pitch of the noise is annoying to the ear.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES