0 dB fan mode is just a myth with Asus cards!

frozensun

So I have Asus 1660 Ti Strix OC model, and as you can see from the website advertising fan should stop cuz temp is 30° C.

But it doesn't as you can see in MSI AB.

So what's happening?

Did I got defected card?

I am in "Q" mode.

Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 09.08 PM.JPG

Screen Shot 03-19-20 at 09.05 PM.JPG

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Uninstall all of the bloat you have, including afterburner and let the card idle. Open the case and look at it.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Uninstall all of the bloat you have, including afterburner and let the card idle. Open the case and look at it.

.I need AB for custom fan curve+OSD settings.

Why you think AB is causing the issue?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Only use one control program at the same time, both are trying to override each other settings.

The card should work without any extra software installed though

Ofc.it's not issue with the program...my good old R9 390 Strix stops fans at temp below 50 C without any extra software.

I can remove GPU Tweak but as far as I remember even with MSI AB set custom fan curve to 0 rpm at temp below 50 C fans still keep spining.

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

.I need AB for custom fan curve

There's most likely your cause

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

There's most likely your cause

Nope.I switched off the custom fan curve,again fans keep spinning.

Hmm weird one.

I switched to live Ubuntu and fans didn't spin at Ubuntu desktop.

Then I rebooted the PC and got into W10,and for some reason Silent Mode in GPU Tweak II is activated.

Fans don't spin.

But I had to disable custom fan curve with AB,

For some reason seems like AB is confusing the card,even that I set up the fans to kick in at temp above 50 ° C.

10 hours ago, frozensun said:

Hmm weird one.

I switched to live Ubuntu and fans didn't spin at Ubuntu desktop.

Then I rebooted the PC and got into W10,and for some reason Silent Mode in GPU Tweak II is activated.

Fans don't spin.

But I had to disable custom fan curve with AB,

For some reason seems like AB is confusing the card,even that I set up the fans to kick in at temp above 50 ° C.

Like we.topd you, afterburner prevents the fans from ever stopping. Ita buggy

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Like we.topd you, afterburner prevents the fans from ever stopping. Ita buggy

Yep.I guess you were right.

Is just me,or it is known issue?

I guess I will have to remove it and use GPU Tweak II own OSD.
Thanks man.

23 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Yep.I guess you were right.

Is just me,or it is known issue?

I guess I will have to remove it and use GPU Tweak II own OSD.
Thanks man.

Honestly, just don't use the software unless you are over locking to high levels. Most cards will autoboost and auto tune themselves far better than you can.

12 hours ago, frozensun said:

.I need AB for custom fan curve+OSD settings.

Why you think AB is causing the issue?

1. Don't call something a myth when you don't know.
  2. You can't sent a custom fan curve and expect the fan to work as it's supposed to. That doesn't make sense.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:
  1. Don't call something a myth when you don't know.
  2. You can't sent a custom fan curve and expect the fan to work as it's supposed to. That doesn't make sense.

I don't have problems with my good old R9 390 with custom fan curve,nor do all the other hardware guys from yt who use AB with custom fan curve.
As I previously stated and Caroline card should switch to 0 rpm mode without any software,but that doesn't happen.

So that is the reason why I installed AB set custom fan curve but even with it,same issue.

So for some reason after reboot card swtiched to silent mode in GPU Tweak II and I noticed fans don't spin.

Probably the GPU Tweak and "Q" mode sometimes don't cooperate together as they supposed to.

28 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I don't have problems with my good old R9 390 with custom fan curve,nor do all the other hardware guys from yt who use AB with custom fan curve.
As I previously stated and Caroline card should switch to 0 rpm mode without any software,but that doesn't happen.

So that is the reason why I installed AB set custom fan curve but even with it,same issue.

So for some reason after reboot card swtiched to silent mode in GPU Tweak II and I noticed fans don't spin.

Probably the GPU Tweak and "Q" mode sometimes don't cooperate together as they supposed to.

The silent mode is part of the DEFAULT fan curve. Setting a custom one overwrites that.

I have a 980 Ti Strix and MSI Afterburner works fine with silent mode. The fans don't kick in until 80C.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

You need to look at the actual fan RPM. I think I've seen before that fan was actually OFF while the fan % was at I don't know, 15%. Or just look at the fan on the graphic card. Is it spinning or not when in idle?

Just now, RejZoR said:

You need to look at the actual fan RPM. I think I've seen before that fan was actually OFF while the fan % was at I don't know, 15%. Or just look at the fan on the graphic card. Is it spinning or not when in idle?

It's obvious that 0dB mode is only with GPU Tweak II.

Somehow switching to Silent mode in the software I got like "switch" 0dB mode in GPU Tweak II which is now ON,and card id dead silent,I will report you if the fans kick in at above 50 C.

37 minutes ago, frozensun said:

It's obvious that 0dB mode is only with GPU Tweak II.

Somehow switching to Silent mode in the software I got like "switch" 0dB mode in GPU Tweak II which is now ON,and card id dead silent,I will report you if the fans kick in at above 50 C.

That's stupid to rely on software to do a hardware thing. My AORUS GTX 1080Ti has 0dB by default, no software needed. And it's how every card should be. I like ASUS in general, but I have rather bad experience with graphic cards from them in general. Not so much with Gigabyte/AORUS...

Don't like how gpu tweak manages my card,it hits 62 C while in load.

With MSI AB around 52 C max,setting custom fan curve...

Hello guys,

I have found your thread and I need your help.

I have an Asus GTX 1660ti strix 6gb ac.

As soon as installed my new card my gpu fans were all spinning and that´s what I want.

Then I installed gpu tweak 2 and everything was fine, fans spinning.

The bios button was on power mode by default.

Then I installed afterburner and i´m pretty sure the fans were still spinning with both softwares.

Mostly I couldn´t find the 0dB hardware switch because it´s so small. One day I found the switch so I moved it into 0dB 

mode just to try a few seconds and then back to power mode.

Now I have the opposite problem @frozensun has. I want all the fans to spin ALWAYS but they stop by themselves randomly.

I have set odB mode off in gpu tweak and auto fan mode in afterburner. I never use both programs together.

Anyway the card is stopping the fans randomly. I get aware of that because I see the temps reaching 50 degrees instead of 29 as usual.

The hardware switch is on performance mode, I checked right now.

Do you have any idea? I started gpu tweak a few minutes ago and the 0dB mode was on.

Why does it get on by itself if I KEEP on setting it to off???

Do you think the two softwares fight each other?  or it was it me moving the switch the first time??

Thank for your help  🙄

On 3/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, frozensun said:

Nope.I switched off the custom fan curve,again fans keep spinning.

Don't press on "Auto" on the Right side.

Press the little "Gear symbol" on the Left, do disable Afterburner's Fan control completely.

Then the Fans will stop spinning.

If you "need" a Custom fancurve, then please show us how your Fan curve looks like ^^

But i would uninstall the Asus tools. They're pretty useless.

Take the fans off. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Apparently GPU Tweak messes up with this card.

And I don't know if it's only my case or not but 0dB fan mode only works with card set to "Q" mode.

Like someone said the best case is too uninstall both programs and let the card manage by itself..

But I need OSD  settings.

Currently it's on "P" mode and fans spin all the time no matter that both programs are installed.

I need "P" mode because in "Q" mode GPU temp easily hits 60 C.

As you can see,I did that but fans still keep spining.

@zultan if you don't need OSD uninstall both software and let the card do it's job by itself...and report back what is happening.

9 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Don't press on "Auto" on the Right side.

Press the little "Gear symbol" on the Left, do disable Afterburner's Fan control completely.

Then the Fans will stop spinning.

If you "need" a Custom fancurve, then please show us how your Fan curve looks like ^^

But i would uninstall the Asus tools. They're pretty useless.

Screen Shot 03-28-20 at 09.52 AM.JPG

Thank you for your reply @frozensun.  I can´t really say that I "need" these two softwares.

I´ve been using AB for many many years to boost a little my old cards but I had two asus GTX 660ti in SLI so I never had the "0db" problem.

The 1660ti is a good vga and performs well even without oc but usually I throw in a +100 on the core and + 500 on the memory.

I also like to watch the ingame stats after playing a game, temps memory usage, gpu usage and so on.

Last night, after posting here, I noticed that whenever I switch between any gpu tweak profile the 0dB setting turns on.

I never paid attention to that. Usually I set the oc mode to play then i set silent mode when I just browse the web.

That´s why I found my card in silent mode by itself.

Do you know if is it normal for the gpu tweak software reverting to 0db mode in between each profile change?

thank you 🧐

36 minutes ago, zultan3 said:

Thank you for your reply @frozensun.  I can´t really say that I "need" these two softwares.

I´ve been using AB for many many years to boost a little my old cards but I had two asus GTX 660ti in SLI so I never had the "0db" problem.

The 1660ti is a good vga and performs well even without oc but usually I throw in a +100 on the core and + 500 on the memory.

I also like to watch the ingame stats after playing a game, temps memory usage, gpu usage and so on.

Last night, after posting here, I noticed that whenever I switch between any gpu tweak profile the 0dB setting turns on.

I never paid attention to that. Usually I set the oc mode to play then i set silent mode when I just browse the web.

Do you know if is it normal for the gpu tweak software reverting to 0db mode in between each profile change?

thank you 🧐

I don't know,but in my case suddenly 0dB mode in GPU tweak appears only when card works at "Q" mode,in "P" mode fans keep kickin in no matter which settings you apply in any program..Since I use this PC 90% of time for gaming I don't mind fans working all the time,only issue is with purring sound coming out of the one of fans,and card is bought new 2 months ago...

41 minutes ago, zultan3 said:

thank you 🧐

How much performance gain you got OC the card in games?

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

I don't know,but in my case suddenly 0dB mode in GPU tweak appears only when card works at "Q" mode,in "P" mode fans keep kickin in no matter which settings you apply in any program..Since I use this PC 90% of time for gaming I don't mind fans working all the time,only issue is with purring sound coming out of the one of fans,and card is bought new 2 months ago...

oh. this is quite  weird...  my card is physically set on "P" mode and I have the 0dB option in gpu tweak 🙄.

The only problem is that each time I switch profile I have to re set odB mode off by myself... it´s so annoying.

Unfortunately I can´t remember if it worked like this since day one and I didn´t pay attention to it or anything changed later.

my specs are MB asus maximus X hero, i9 9900k 5ghz, corsair ddr4 3200mhz vengeance pro rgb 32gb,  asus strix gtx 1660ti 6gb A6G.

Here is a stock firestrike.

1714508329_strikestock.thumb.PNG.b1f909c43957f7c7181eee4b4802aa27.PNG

and this is with +100 core and +500 memory

171630987_firestrikeoc2.thumb.PNG.3e3a0355ab57e695146175c36ffb0d41.PNG

as you can see I get a thousand extra points and a few fps more.

I just wanted to match the card to the OC model.

I have a 27" 60/75hz PLS Samsung monitor.  It´s a good monitor but not a "gaming" model.

I play games In 1080P usually at 60hz because some games refuse to get "full screen" if i overclock the monitor to 75hz.  At this resolution The gaming experience is great both with or without oc.

I can play ANY latest game at its maximum detail level, extra,ultra,epic or anyway you can call it.

Playing indoor levels I get over 80/90 fps.  in Outdoor great battles I get usually around 75 FPS.

I´ve never seen the card dropping under 70fps even with the i7 3770k 4200mhz I had a couple of months ago.

The card temps never rise over 40/45 degrees in any situation (with fans on of course).

I´m very satisfied with this card even if it´s one of the "cheapest" available.

I´m sorry for writing so much. maybe you were not interested ☺️