Sony A5100 as a webcam?

Good evening,

Now when virtual teaching is taking over the country, I need to have a webcam. The problem is I own a decent DSLR (Sony a5100), and I was wondering if it was possible to use that as a webcam without a capture card. I have tried with the Sony software, but I doesn’t work.

Thanks in advance 😊

9 minutes ago, Wombell said:

Good evening,

Now when virtual teaching is taking over the country, I need to have a webcam. The problem is I own a decent DSLR (Sony a5100), and I was wondering if it was possible to use that as a webcam without a capture card. I have tried with the Sony software, but I doesn’t work.

Thanks in advance 😊

I took a glimpse at Sony's website and I cant say that you can, a capture capture would be the only way as far as I can tell, those can get expensive though.

Webcams are pretty cheap these days, you can find a decent one for about $20-$100usd

I have this one and it works very well;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042X8NT6/ref=emc_b_5_t

Some webcam reviews if that helps at all.

https://bestreviews.com/best-webcams?yb&cid=180634915&aid=3134807159&eid&tid=kwd-116756462909%3Aloc-4095&ul=102040&mt=e&n=o&d=c&dm&dt&sn&adid&k=webcam&p&pc&ap&msclkid=6cc73aab86231e7af33964d84d792a5a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[US]+Products+-+Search&utm_term=webcam&utm_content=Best+Webcams

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, Wombell said:

Good evening,

Thanks in advance 😊

There's a peice of software called sparkocam. I think you can use it free, tho there will be a watermark. A paid license is about 100 dollars I think. As (I'm assuming) you work for a school, you could try expensing it to them. It should work with whatever software you're using (obs, streamlabs, xsplit etc)

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

14 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

There's a peice of software called sparkocam. I think you can use it free, tho there will be a watermark. A paid license is about 100 dollars I think. As (I'm assuming) you work for a school, you could try expensing it to them. It should work with whatever software you're using (obs, streamlabs, xsplit etc)

Thanks for the idea, but it sadly didnt work.

9 minutes ago, Wombell said:

Thanks for the idea, but it sadly didnt work.

I hope you can find a solution. The kids HAVE to learn, lol. Good luck

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

47 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Webcams are pretty cheap these days, you can find a decent one for about $20-$100usd

Not only that but it will save you a lot of time and any headaches in the end as they work right out of the box. 

I'm using the Elgato Cam Link 4K for this exact purpose. It's $130 which is cheaper than most capture cards. What's cool about it though, is that it connects the your computer as a UVC device the same way a webcam does so it's seamless to use and compatible with any software that normally works with a webcam.

The only thing to check is that your camera provides a clean HDMI output without menus or overlays otherwise this will appear in the video stream.

• 2 years later...

I feel like the Sony website now mentioned the ILCE-5100 to use as a webcam through USB. Do any of you have experience with that? Does it have the clear skin filter on with usb?