Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the chances i keep my windows key after swapping hardware twice?

no problem keeping my windows key after changing mobo, ram, and cpu awhile back, but I heard theres a limited amount of times they'll let you do that before having to pay for a new key. Has anyone had more than one refresh?

thanks

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse

8 minutes ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

no problem keeping my windows key after changing mobo, ram, and cpu awhile back, but I heard theres a limited amount of times they'll let you do that before having to pay for a new key. Has anyone had more than one refresh?

thanks

In my experience it only works once, but I think that is only for the motherboard I, as far as I am aware you can change the cpu and ram as often as you like. If you are using a Microsoft account, you can link the key to the account and reactivate it for free after replacing a component. 

22 minutes ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

thanks

windows grabs something from your hardware to identify it or something. ltt did an episode a while back on why they dont verify windows

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

If I understand correctly it depends on the licence. If licence is retail I think you can move it as many times you want. if it is OEM ..I think you can move it once to a new mobo. (I may be wrong BUT)...

I got a PC 10(?) years ago. It had Windows 7 OEM on it, I upgraded that to Windows 8 for 20-ish USD and later to Windows 10 for free. The PC was a HP and I'm pretty sure the Windows 7 licence was OEM, anyway somewhere along the upgrade path the licence changed from OEM to retail and I could apparently take that licence to another computer and a few months ago to a third computer and it is still activated with retail licence.

So how to find out what licence you have, just open command prompt and type slmgr -dli

A window should pop up and on the second line look for either Retail, OEM or VOLUME. (Volume is for enterprises and such so it is probably not that).

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
19 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

If I understand correctly it depends on the licence. If licence is retail I think you can move it as many times you want. if it is OEM ..I think you can move it once to a new mobo. (I may be wrong BUT)...

I got a PC 10(?) years ago. It had Windows 7 OEM on it, I upgraded that to Windows 8 for 20-ish USD and later to Windows 10 for free. The PC was a HP and I'm pretty sure the Windows 7 licence was OEM, anyway somewhere along the upgrade path the licence changed from OEM to retail and I could apparently take that licence to another computer and a few months ago to a third computer and it is still activated with retail licence.

So how to find out what licence you have, just open command prompt and type slmgr -dli

A window should pop up and on the second line look for either Retail, OEM or VOLUME. (Volume is for enterprises and such so it is probably not that).

im pretty sure the only difference between the two is that microsoft offers support for retail, and for oem its meant for oems so support would be offered by them. i think that retail comes on a usb, while oem is a dvd. im not sure tho. its tied to the hardware

26 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Its OEM license

Ryzen 9 3900x & Ryzen 7 3700x 120 AIO / MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC / MSI B450 Tomahawk Max & MSI x570 Gaming Pro / Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600mhz 2x8gb / 970EVOplus m.2 NVME 250gb / Adata sata SSD 250gb/ 2TB Hard drive / 9x Noctua Redux 120mm fans / (spare Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz 2x8gb) / Fanatec CSLE+ F1 / V3 Pedals / Next Level Sim Rig / LG Ultra Gear 34" curved ultrawide 144hz / Oculus Rift S / Asus 27" 144hz / crappy keyboard / crappy mouse

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

In my experience it only works once, but I think that is only for the motherboard I, as far as I am aware you can change the cpu and ram as often as you like. If you are using a Microsoft account, you can link the key to the account and reactivate it for free after replacing a component. 

I do have a Microsoft account, so that would take care of it? I have one more upgrade I need to do, it's not crucial but it's bugging me that it's not being used

10 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

im pretty sure the only difference between the two is that microsoft offers support for retail, and for oem its meant for oems so support would be offered by them. i think that retail comes on a usb, while oem is a dvd. im not sure tho. its tied to the hardware

The license is originally from a prebuilt system

2 minutes ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

I do have a Microsoft account, so that would take care of it? I have one more upgrade I need to do, it's not crucial but it's bugging me that it's not being used

just be sure to link the license. you can do that in windows settings. 

2 minutes ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

The license is originally from a prebuilt system

i dont believe that would have any effect on upgrading. just be sure to have the activation key. (again, available under the update menu>activation)

18 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

just be sure to link the license. you can do that in windows settings. 

i dont believe that would have any effect on upgrading. just be sure to have the activation key. (again, available under the update menu>activation)

Ok thanks man I'm gonna give it a try in the morning

9 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

If you want transfer rights and be able to make all sorts of hardware modifications, then the retail full license is recommended

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/microsoft-os-retail-vs-oem/3b074bf1-58e3-4675-8706-b9206d5a97a1

9 hours ago, CB_J_IRacing said:

Its OEM license

So it seems it is not transferable.

?TuringMachine?

Ryzen 5 3600x - Asus Strix B450-F - Asus ROG RTX 2060S Strix AD - HyperX Predator 3200 2x8 GB DDR4 - Phanteks P400S - Corsair RM 650x - BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 - Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB SSD - 2x Samsung QVO 1TB SSD (RAID 0) - Seagate Barracuda 3TB

"If the genius of invention were to reveal tomorrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought."

-Nikola Tesla, New York, May 16, 1907
3 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

If you want transfer rights and be able to make all sorts of hardware modifications, then the retail full license is recommended

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/microsoft-os-retail-vs-oem/3b074bf1-58e3-4675-8706-b9206d5a97a1

So it seems it is not transferable.

IMG_20200217_015148.thumb.jpg.99c7e5291f199f87f98cab632a0aa26c.jpgwell it definitely will, idk what it is tied to, I've upgraded just about everything from this PC except GPU and storage. All I had to do was call the number to get a new key and get rid of the watermark