Did I make a mistake (New TV purchase)

muindor

Hi,

I just bit the bullet and bought a Samsung Q70 65" for $930 US. It seems like a really good deal, comparing it to the 2019 and 2020 TVs on the market. My main concern is lack of Dolby Vision support. Did I make a mistake buying it? My other potentials were the 65" Visio P9 ($999 US) and the 55" LG B9 ($1299). Obviously the LG is by far the best, but I think I'd like a 65". I can still cancel my order, so just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks!

And why do you need Dolby Vision? Samsung has the best TV Panels on the market. All certificated stuff like Dolby Vision is just to make an extra buck. Your TV already has HDR so it will probably be he same. There are panels without the Dolby Vision certification that are better. I am sure you took the best one when you compared in store. 

55 minutes ago, Hip said:

And why do you need Dolby Vision? Samsung has the best TV Panels on the market. All certificated stuff like Dolby Vision is just to make an extra buck. Your TV already has HDR so it will probably be he same. There are panels without the Dolby Vision certification that are better. I am sure you took the best one when you compared in store. 

I'm more interested in Dolby Vision for the dynamic metadata. I know HDR10+ can do it also, but it seems like almost no one supports it.

6 hours ago, muindor said:

I'm more interested in Dolby Vision for the dynamic metadata. I know HDR10+ can do it also, but it seems like almost no one supports it.

Don't worry about it. You won't even be able to tell. HDR can't save a bad show/movie. 

No you didn't make a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 2:51 PM, Hip said:

Massively oversimplified

I do see a difference in some content between HDR10 and Dolby Vision on my LG C8 OLED. Then again I also have a Sony X940E where honestly DV isnt as big of a deal on it, i think its more accurate to say that unless you start talking at the upper end of performance (IE OLED or super expensive LCDs with hundreds of FALD zones) there probably isnt a difference. HDR10+ is pretty useless since in the US only Samsung supports it whereas DV is Vizio/LG/Sony

Bigger is usually a better call however, Personally, I love OLED and wouldn't trade it, but if my choice was a pretty decent local dimming equipped LCD like the Q70 in a 65" and a 55" LG OLED id probably go for the local dimming LCD, Probably. It would depend on the return policy. my TV room is a pitch black theater where dimming artifacts are very easily noticable and few LCDs make me happy (I was a very ardent Plasma guy, can you tell? But I did have a Sony X930E for 6 months that I did like quite a bit until the panel died)

Inari - Ryzen 9 3900X, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3400, eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3, Corsair Crystal 680X, 2x Corsair MP510 960gb SSD, 1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, 2x Toshiba 5TB HDDs, Acer Predator X27, Lots of Sony camera equipment

Asus RoG Zephyrus G15 5900HS/3070/QHD On Order

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 3:48 PM, muindor said:

I just posted this going to try it myself with my HDR10 projector - results could be interesting: