(update: release imminent) The fastest Netbook ever known - GPD Win Max announced

williamcll

The only down side is the 1280 x 800 screen but there's a thunderbolt 3 and HDMI 2.0 port if you need more graphics:

The full specifications for the GPD Win Max handheld computer have been published online. The gaming device features the Ice Lake Intel Core i5-1035G7 and 16 GB of LPDDR4 RAM @3733 MHz. However, it is details such as the backlit QWERTY chiclet keyboard, the presence of a Thunderbolt 3 port, and the diminutive 8-inch form that have been exciting fans.

Gamers will be especially interested in the PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4 support, and as the GPD Win Max is also classed as a handheld game console it does come with all the necessary prerequisites: Official ALPS dual 3D sticks (compatible with PS Vita ones), clickable for L3/R3, separate direction buttons, L1/L2, R1/R2, and Panasonic switches. It seems the Win Max is going to be a surprisingly powerful handheld gaming computer with plenty going for it, but of course the final price will be one of the most important deciding factors for a purchase, and unfortunately that vital detail is still unknown.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/GPD-Win-Max-full-specs-revealed-Thunderbolt-3-backlit-keyboard-and-an-8-inch-landscape-screen-to-tempt-handheld-PC-fans.456334.0.html

Thoughts: Very cool, but GPD have never been the cheapest computer around, but I'll bet it would be better than a surface go for price to performance.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

48 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Instant turn-off, no sex for you tonight.

It’s high enough for an 8@ screen, and any higher it wouldn’t be able to play games at the native resolution.

It's interesting, but developing a netbook in 2020... it faces tough odds.  Unless you have an eGPU it's just a tiny low-end laptop with some poorly implemented gamepad controls.  I'd rather get a Switch, or an iPad with a Bluetooth controller.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's interesting, but developing a netbook in 2020... it faces tough odds.  Unless you have an eGPU it's just a tiny low-end laptop with some poorly implemented gamepad controls.  I'd rather get a Switch, or an iPad with a Bluetooth controller.

This has a very potent iGPU. It’ll be faster than switch or iPad.

Too big for me :( Just want an improved win2

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

This has a very potent iGPU. It’ll be faster than switch or iPad.

Iris Plus graphics?  Colour me skeptical -- this is Intel integrated video attached to a low-power Core i5.  While Iris Plus is definitely better than Intel's baseline graphics, you're not about to play Fortnite at a solid 60+ frames per second (not without turning some things off, anyway).

And part of why I said what I did is because of the experience.  Who's going to hold a small laptop in their hand making awkward hand motions on a poorly designed gamepad?  It'd make the Switch look like an ergonomic masterpiece.

People don't get those to play the latest AAA games, competitive stuff or just "any game" they could have on android or a Switch, they use it to go through their Steam library backlog on the go, replaying old Windows games etc which you can't do with any other handheld. The Win2 which is less powerful runs GTAV just fine for example, and my curent laptop with Iris Plus will happily run a 3-4 year old CoD at 1280x800 with good framerates and details sufficient to look good on a 8 inch screen.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Mobile Ryzen 4000 series would be nice... Top of the line 15W 8-core 16-thread little beast with a great iGPU, especially at those resolutions.

Ye ole' train

Graphics: Intel Irus Plus Graphics 940 - 64EU

i'm just siting here until they add a dedicated GPU to the thing, if the switch can run one, so can this.

and before anyone says that the switch's GPU was custom made, later models have this but the original models (up until the refresh HAL units) used an off the shelf Nvidia Tegra X1 chip, which you can buy from them.

it's based off the Maxwell architecture (the 900 series), remove the arm cores and with some tweaking you probbly can get it working on a x86 system without much issue. i expect this to happen soon for devices like the GPD and laptops, it's just gonna be awhile.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

8 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i'm just siting here until they add a dedicated GPU to the thing, if the switch can run one, so can this.

and before anyone says that the switch's GPU was custom made, later models have this but the original models (up until the refresh HAL units) used an off the shelf Nvidia Tegra X1 chip, which you can buy from them.

it's based off the Maxwell architecture (the 900 series), remove the arm cores and with some tweaking you probbly can get it working on a x86 system without much issue. i expect this to happen soon for devices like the GPD and laptops, it's just gonna be awhile.

The switch uses a SOC it doesn’t have a dGPU.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

Iris Plus graphics?  Colour me skeptical -- this is Intel integrated video attached to a low-power Core i5.  While Iris Plus is definitely better than Intel's baseline graphics, you're not about to play Fortnite at a solid 60+ frames per second (not without turning some things off, anyway).

And part of why I said what I did is because of the experience.  Who's going to hold a small laptop in their hand making awkward hand motions on a poorly designed gamepad?  It'd make the Switch look like an ergonomic masterpiece.

The new Iris Plus in the 10nm Ice Lake parr’s with 64 EU’s and LPDDR4X memory, yes it could play fortnite at 60 FPS.

11 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

It’s high enough for an 8@ screen, and any higher it wouldn’t be able to play games at the native resolution.

Plus it's 16:10...which is only an issue if say you're using an old P4 based laptop with a 15.5" screen (those pixels and super weak iGPU).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@schwellmo92

yeah but (picture below)

Spoiler

image.png.cf5075836d93a1fb5482c7a461d3e20c.png

not a really great PPI

Edited by SlimyPython
Pinged wrong person sorry, but can somewhat work too for them

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

@schwellmo92

yeah but (picture below)

Hide contents

not a really great PPI

That isn't actually bad at all. If my screen was 1440p... :image.png.05a29046a2c67d90165b2f2cf7cde91c.png

PMSL

7 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

The switch doesn't have one. This has in Intel CPU with integrated graphics, the Switch's Tegra is basically an Nvidia GPU with integrated processing.... but in both cases it's all on one chip, same thing with different balance. No room for separate packages in these little things. 

And since the Tegra's CPUs aren't x86 it's not applicable for such a product of which the purpose is to run Windows, there are way more than enough android thingies around.

GPU being discrete or not is irrelevant, the limit is just power and cooling in a given size. You can't put a 50W GPU in an 8" machine without it having 30 minutes battery life, supposing it hasn't melted in your hand by then.

F@H

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

@schwellmo92

yeah but (picture below)

Reveal hidden contents

not a really great PPI

Not a great PPI, an AMAZING PPI.

Waaaaay better than the normal 24" 1080p screens, which are not bad at all.

I love low res for small devices, a 1080p phone and a 4k one are literally identical, as we are humans with eyes and not microscopes.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

8 hours ago, Taja said:

Not a great PPI, an AMAZING PPI.

Waaaaay better than the normal 24" 1080p screens, which are not bad at all.

I love low res for small devices, a 1080p phone and a 4k one are literally identical, as we are humans with eyes and not microscopes.

@schwellmo92 aswell

@Dabombinable too

I just realised that this was better than my laptop's PPI which is pretty good (14' 1080p) I compared it to phones which mayve not been the best idea

✨FNIGE✨

On a laptop / desktop I absolutely can't stand 1080p, 1440 is the minimum - but on the Win2 720p has strangely never felt lacking...

So yes PPI matters.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

@schwellmo92 aswell

@Dabombinable too

I just realised that this was better than my laptop's PPI which is pretty good (14' 1080p) I compared it to phones which mayve not been the best idea

Far better than my desktop with its 22" 1080p 100ppi screen. Phones BTW just use the screen resolution (and therefore ppi) as marketing. You certainly don't need and can't make proper use of the super high resolutions on them (plus it kills the battery faster).

PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Far better than my desktop with its 22" 1080p 100ppi screen. Phones BTW just use the screen resolution (and therefore ppi) as marketing. You certainly don't need and can't make proper use of the super high resolutions on them (plus it kills the battery faster).

True. I honestly prefer 1080p than 720p, the difference is really small, but since 1080p is mainstream, its fine.

But on my 1080p phone I cant make out individual pixels even looking really close

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I was sorta hoping for a small, Ryzen-powered device. I guess I'll wait until next time...