Home server to run multiple terminals?

Aston01

I need computer access for lightweight computing in 4-5 areas at home and trying to figure out if there is a better way to go about it than buy a bunch of individual computers for light computing/web browsing. Everything is hardwired with gigabit Ethernet and I was wondering if it is even remotely feasible to consider some type of home server & thin client configuration or if it's just not enough terminals to make it practical?

Something like this would be helpful to your cause 

but as he mentioned you might need to get a cheap gpu for each machine, cause its not really supported to split gpu power 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

but as he mentioned you might need to get a cheap gpu for each machine, cause its not really supported to split gpu power 

I'm gonna mention if you're willing to pay for a Quadro, or Radeon Pro/workstation GPU both can be split into multiple virtual GPUs. This would enable many VMs to share a single GPU when used on a supported hypervisor like VMWare.

if you go this route I'd recommend the AMD cards as NVIDIA will get you with additional licensing fees.

33 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm gonna mention if you're willing to pay for a Quadro, or Radeon Pro/workstation GPU both can be split into multiple virtual GPUs. This would enable many VMs to share a single GPU when used on a supported hypervisor like VMWare.

if you go this route I'd recommend the AMD cards as NVIDIA will get you with additional licensing fees.

If it is just for light browsing and such I would get or build something with 8-16 cores and run a VDI environment. You could just use something like a raspberry pi for a cheap thin client.

48 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If it is just for light browsing and such I would get or build something with 8-16 cores and run a VDI environment. You could just use something like a raspberry pi for a cheap thin client.

Yes. I forgot to mention the thin client part.

To OP:

Linus's implementation is fine and all but with remote software like PARSEC for example a thin client remoting into a VM that has a GPU or vGPU would be great for light workloads and to an extent some video games if you want.