What was your first ever PC?

Meowster

What were your guys first PC? Mine was an IBM PC AT 5170

Make sure to quote me @Meowster  so that I see your reply

I love my job, being a sysadmin. It's very fun 

Dup thread, you can continue the original from here bud.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

last post is from 1 year ago

Not my fault the thread died? What's your point? 

It was... a strange system that consisted of a Pentium III, I think 512MB of RAM, some shitty motherboard graphics and an 80GB Parallel ATA hard drive, all running on Windows XP Professional that was probably dubiously licensed. It was cobbled together at some point with some spare parts by someone and that's all I really know. I still have the hard drive from it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

it was bought by my family, costs about 1700usd in today's money. it has a p4 2.6 1.6 ghz northwood cpu, 256mb ddr2 ram, an ELSA geforce 2 mx 200 graphics card, an asus motherboard(mud colour one) .

the delightful noughties' terrible-ness enclosed in a tacky 2000-esque blue and silver box with an sony floppy drive which i barely used, altho i somehow i kept a large number of disks. an LG dvd-rom with 12x and same 12 times of decibels, lastly a maxtor 40gb hard drive which also comes with a sound track.

accompanied with a benq FP557 inch LCD monitor (it's consider very high end at the time to have an LCD)

i played wow on it at 2004, let that sink in.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

28 minutes ago, zassou said:

it was bought by my family, costs about 1700usd in today's money. it has a p4 2.6ghz northwood cpu, 256mb ddr2 ram, an ELSA geforce 2 mx 200 graphics card, an asus motherboard(mud colour one) .

the delightful noughties' terrible-ness enclosed in a tacky 2000-esque blue and silver box with an sony floppy drive which i barely used, altho i somehow i kept a large number of disks. an LG dvd-rom with 12x and same 12 times of decibels, lastly a maxtor 40gb hard drive which also comes with a sound track.

accompanied with a benq FP557 inch LCD monitor (it's consider very high end at the time to have an LCD)

i played wow on it at 2004, let that sink in.

Wow, that must have been excellent back then. I remember when I first bought my IBM PC AT and then upgraded it to a 30MB Hard Drive. Man, that ate half of my rent money

I remember having an IBM XT clone a while back that my dad used to tinker around with. Don't remember the specs but I clearly remembered it having an EGA monitor that had a whopping 16 colors. We ran MSDOS 3.0 at the time.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

13 minutes ago, Meowster said:

Wow, that must have been excellent back then. I remember when I first bought my IBM PC AT and then upgraded it to a 30MB Hard Drive. Man, that ate half of my rent money

nah, 00s is the dark age of pc gaming, nothing good back then other than korean mmo craze led to wow till this day, and pirating.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

in middleschool i practised typing on computer classes with those crappy, yellow-y 486 compatibles with black and white crt, on a dos program called TT. shame i can't find it anymore

Just now, zassou said:

in middleschool i practised typing on computer classes using those 486 compatibles with black and white crt, on a dos program called TT. shame i can't find it anymore

Yea, I also used that but such a shame I can't find the disk. I actually still have my 1st pc and to this very day, it works! Sure, its a bit dusty and my cat loves sitting on the crt for some strange reason

A bad Dell windows xp computer. The only game it could run well was Lego island 2.

(\/) (°,,,,°) (\/)

A Compaq Presario. I remember playing RuneScape constantly on it.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

First ever was a Pentium 3 Coppermine T revision. Given my dad was super into this stuff all the time I take it he picked all that. First one I vividly remember was an old dell mATX tower my Mom had. Think it was a low end Core 2 tower with a first gen LCD monitor and just powerful enough graphics to play flash games smoothly. First I bought myself was an AMD A-8 based system with an SSD and HDD but no GPU with a 1600x900 monitor that gave me some good times. First build was an R5 2400G with an 570 and currently on a rolling upgrade lol.

Sanyo mbc 555

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, Bombastinator said:

Sanyo mbc 555

I swear thats what my grandad used

1st ever PC was a IBM PC Jr w/ a 8086 8 mhz CPU and 256kb of RAM (if I remember correctly) This was donated to me to 'tinker' with by my uncle. I remember my amazement seeing Windows 3.0 actually run on it after using strictly DOS for everything. After about a year, my dad decided we needed something more powerful for schoolwork, etc. We ended up with a Packard Bell 486 dx @ 33mhz w/ 4 mb of RAM and 2mb of vram. We however, later purchased a 56k modem, a 2x CDROM and a sound blaster sound card (this was the early 90's) LOL

2 hours ago, Meowster said:

I swear thats what my grandad used

I’m old enough to be a grandad.  Never had any kids though.  It was the first ibm “compatible” for under a thousand dollars.  I was a kid.  The thing absolutely sucked.  4.0mhz not ghz, and it had the video memory in the wrong place because they messed up the reverse engineering so it wouldn’t run anything with graphics at all.  They eventually came out with the “lotus board” that fixed the graphics for some programs but not everything.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My first computer was an IBM XT, I threw it together from spare parts in my grandfather's tech/hobby room when I was 10. It was 4.7mhz with 640k RAM, 20-ish MB hard drive, Hercules monochrome graphics, even a 1200 baud modem; It was fairly antiquated even in 1994. But, I learned how to program in BASIC, use DOS, troubleshoot hardware problems, lots of learning happened with that machine.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

tandy 1000

669269548_tandy1000.jpg.7db5d790df9a1ec8c9129f65f12e80da.jpg

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Vic20

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Some windows 95 system that I use to use. Another system prior to that was from the early 90s. Don't recall what it was though. First PC that was actually mine was an old IBM T43. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

• 2 weeks later...

Compaq Presario 4700 series. Parents bought it in 1996. Given to me when it was obsolete. Still have it today with newer internals. Probably the last one of these fat face Compaqs still in daily use. 

Oh and yes, the floppy still works. Used a fancy internal floppy drive IDE to usb adapters.

<link removed by staff><link removed by staff> by <link removed by staff>

49703247921_1c36d6c8e4_b.jpg<link removed by staff> by<link removed by staff>

49721670141_16e2707c34.jpgcompaq 1996 cropped by <link removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed Links