Is my HDD dead?

junzhi2002

Recently I dropped one of my HDD (more like a slight bump to it, dropped from a chair to ground in an enclosure), and I have concern about it fail when I am using it.

The drive is used for unimportant files and I just wanted to keep using it, anyone here can tell if this drive is failing?

Here's the noise of the drive during sequential read/write using CrystalDiskMark and copying files:

Voice 001 is the start up sound of the drive

Voice 002 is the sound of 1.75GB video file written to the drive

Voice 003 is the sound of 2.29GB random pictures (~220 pic) written to the drive

Voice 004 is the sound of Random 4KiB Q32T16 read from the drive

Pic shows the enclosure, no rubber pads or screws

20200314_011201.jpg

Voice 001_sd.m4a Voice 002_sd.m4a Voice 003_sd.m4a Voice 004_sd.m4a

9 minutes ago, junzhi2002 said:

dropped

DO a S.M.A.R.T. test, then run Fujitsu's own HDD diag tools, if they all pass, you're golden.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

DO a S.M.A.R.T. test, then run Fujitsu's own HDD diag tools, if they all pass, you're golden.

S.M.A.R.T. test? From where, what app?

Fujitsu's HDD diag tools? Got it.

4 minutes ago, junzhi2002 said:

S.M.A.R.T. test? From where, what app?

Usually built into BIOS...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Even with a drive checking utility, everything may seem fine for a while. Shock is not a good thing for the precision instrument that is a Hard Drive, even while not running. I'd run the checking utilities on the drive, and if they pass still remember that the drive now has an elevated chance of failing. A program I use for checking and repairing Hard Drives is "Hard DIsk Sentinel". With free version that you can run a full read test across the entire surface of the drive, and view all of the drive's technical information and SMART data.

Still, I'm curious as to why are you still using a 250GB drive in 2020?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, LunaP0n3 said:

Even with a drive checking utility, everything may seem fine for a while. Shock is not a good thing for the precision instrument that is a Hard Drive, even while not running. I'd run the checking utilities on the drive, and if they pass still remember that the drive now has an elevated chance of failing. A program I use for checking and repairing Hard Drives is "Hard DIsk Sentinel". With free version that you can run a full read test across the entire surface of the drive, and view all of the drive's technical information and SMART data.

Still, I'm curious as to why are you still using a 250GB drive in 2020?

It's free :) I picked it up somewhere, it's called reuse, turns out to be good for environment.