LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

by folding month my plan is to have minimum 2x 2060, 2070, 2x 1080. 

Honestly considering upgrading my main rigs 1080 to a turing card for better folding points, but that all depends on how the world ends up looking in 6 months.

The world will still be spinning in 6 months. think you could use some good scotch

images.jpg.ef27dafa09ebeecb2e1e031df91fa0cb.jpg

Main Rig -- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Asus Tuf Gaming X570-plus (Wifi) | 4 x 8gb DDR4 G Skill Trident Z 3600Mhz | Nvidia 2060 Super | Thermaltake Lvl 20 HT | Firecuda 520 500 gb m.2 | Thermaltake 1050 Platinum | Dual Asus VG279Q Monitors

2 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

but that all depends on how the world ends up looking in 6 months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_stock_market_crash

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/us-unemployment-filings-coronavirus

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/newsalert-canada-lost-1011000-jobs-in-march-unemployment-rate-rises-to-7-8

1568196292-152603-zoom-450x540.jpg

Tho right now I see a lot of "tech" things going on sale(I'm hunting for a good deal on 8/10tb HDDs for my server), so might not be a bad time to eagle eye what you want right now even tho if from amazon it might not get shipped for 3 months...

15 minutes ago, Jeremiah.Schorn said:

The world will still be spinning in 6 months. think you could use some good scotch

Just because the world is spinning doesn't mean I will still have a job if the economy goes to shit, I'm self employed at the end of the day.

If you wanna buy me some nice scotch I sure wouldn't say no ;) 

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Tho right now I see a lot of "tech" things going on sale(I'm hunting for a good deal on 8/10tb HDDs for my server), so might not be a bad time to eagle eye what you want right now even tho if from amazon it might not get shipped for 3 months...

Not much of a case here in britain, not much going on sale. And as I said I need to wait for my Tax rebate regardless as I just don't have the liquidity required, especially with me being off work. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I don't drink...... So I'll just do this

20200411_102013.thumb.jpg.128cb7531ab9f424c35f7cecdb78ea0d.jpg

20200411_101754.jpg

20200411_113157.jpg

Not much of a case here in britain, not much going on sale. And as I said I need to wait for my Tax rebate regardless as I just don't have the liquidity required, especially with me being off work. 

I hear yea, not everyone is lucky like me. Local Pokemon Go discord has a few "monkeys" running around disobeying the requests of the government, sadly Canada has been reluctant to enforce stricter laws about non-essential travel assuming people will behave, which at least where I live they feel it is their obligation to go outside for no reason.

TBH to me it's no longer about the virus less the hard hit areas, this pandemic is destroying the economy. Tho I do rather large financial loss over life loss as money can be replaced. Sadly many don't see this, like how many don't see a game is just a game and they shouldn't go out because the maker is stupid and only cares about money(Niantic has made many things solo for Ingress but has refused to do so for Go).

7 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I hear yea, not everyone is lucky like me. Local Pokemon Go discord has a few "monkeys" running around disobeying the requests of the government, sadly Canada has been reluctant to enforce stricter laws about non-essential travel assuming people will behave, which at least where I live they feel it is their obligation to go outside for no reason.

TBH to me it's no longer about the virus less the hard hit areas, this pandemic is destroying the economy. Tho I do rather large financial loss over life loss as money can be replaced. Sadly many don't see this, like how many don't see a game is just a game and they shouldn't go out because the maker is stupid and only cares about money(Niantic has made many things solo for Ingress but has refused to do so for Go).

Just so you know, there is a place on the forum to talk specifically about the virus and it's effects on the world as a whole.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

58 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

By the way, I'm not sure you would need ideas from someone with no idea how you guys are set up, automation-wise, but handling 700 messages manually sounds like madness.

For the initial event-signup you had a "Folding name / Forum name" form up that fed into a database / spreadsheet. If you'd now have winners signup similarly with "Either name / email address" upon seeing themselves in your announcement post, mailing out e.g. keys could probably be automated.

As said, not sure that's useful to say/suggest, but just in case...

1 minute ago, Yujah said:

By the way, I'm not sure you would need ideas from someone with no idea how you guys are set up, automation-wise, but handling 700 messages manually sounds like madness.

For the initial event-signup you had a "Folding name / Forum name" form up that fed into a database / spreadsheet. If you'd now have winners signup similarly with "Either name / email address" upon seeing themselves in your announcement post, mailing out e.g. keys could probably be automated.

As said, not sure that's useful to say/suggest, but just in case...

The problem is you can automatically message on the forum and I don't want to be asking for emails as standard whenever it can be helped.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The problem is you can automatically message on the forum and I don't want to be asking for emails as standard whenever it can be helped.

Definitely fair enough in principle but I noticed earlier you were having an health issue. If handling 700 messages is the kind of chore it sounds like I would perhaps in this specific case suggest that anyone who'd not be comfortable sharing an email address should feel free to not claim. But, well, clearly up to you...

Just so you know, there is a place on the forum to talk specifically about the virus and it's effects on the world as a whole.

I know I visited it last week, talked a little bit, it more feels like a paranoid/misleading/misinformed conversation more than anything so I never went back.

1 minute ago, Ambrose_M said:

Why is my FaH client trying to get jobs from a server that doesn't have any???

This morning I am showing Work Server as 155.247.166.219. According to https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats that is a collection server with no jobs...

WTF???

Work servers act as both collection and distribution servers, afaik that server is currently out of WUs put will be given more when they become available 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Work servers act as both collection and distribution servers, afaik that server is currently out of WUs put will be given more when they become available 

That server =never= has any jobs. It's been a collection server without jobs for at least two weeks.

Just now, Ambrose_M said:

That server =never= has any jobs. It's been a collection server without jobs for at least two weeks.

In fact you are right there, it is a collection server, my stupidity for not looking at the right column, hmm... best to restart the client and if you have time to report it to F@H

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

https://apps.foldingathome.org/serverstats

according to this chart it is a accept only server, weirdly it looks like it can give WUs out but due to current events it likely runs out faster than it gets them unless that stat is wrong. The person hosting the servers also has 2 servers for assigning.

Edit: You saw before I could reply :P

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

In fact you are right there, it is a collection server, my stupidity for not looking at the right column, hmm... best to restart the client and if you have time to report it to F@H

I restarted my FaH control and it came up with 40.114.52.201 - another collection server without jobs. 😞

It seems stuck on this one staying with it through multiple restarts.  I can only repeat WTF?

3 minutes ago, Ambrose_M said:

I restarted my FaH control and it came up with 40.114.52.201 - another collection server without jobs. 😞

It seems stuck on this one staying with it through multiple restarts.  I can only repeat WTF?

Finely after multiple FaHControl restarts I got 168.245.198.125 and got a job within seconds.

My next question is: How do I report this?

1 hour ago, Ambrose_M said:

Finely after multiple FaHControl restarts I got 168.245.198.125 and got a job within seconds.

My next question is: How do I report this?

https://foldingforum.org/ I believe here or their social media accounts (forums are likely better)

Right so time for dinner then on with the post!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Right so time for dinner then on with the post!

Eat well !

BOINC - F@H

4 hours ago, cbigfoot said:

Crap that is an old Keyboard! is your computer that old too?

Maybe you don't know about some of the greatest keyboards of all time? This is an IBM Model M. Certainly old, but it's one of the best keyboards ever. I used Model M's back in the late 80's - early 90's, got this original one just couple of years ago after trying pretty much everything out there. To my fingers nothing really compares to the feel and sound of an original IBM Model M (for daily usage and typing, not for gaming.)

My PC is not that old, but also not brand new, has an i7-6700K and a 1080 TI. For folding I've been using mostly another PC build with an AMD 3600 and a 1070 though.