LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

13 minutes ago, hammerquill said:

I managed a million points during the event, despite having pretty old, medium-end hardware. Too bad signups for the event ended about four hours before I discovered this thread and found out we had to sign up in advance. I still think LMG should have a special give-away for the person who happens to run the 10 Millionth WU.

I also spun up a disused computer to fold with 23 (very slow) Xeon cores, though sadly its Quadro card couldn't cut the mustard. More importantly I got my wife and maybe one or two other people to join in, though they probably didn't join the LTT team.

heh, I wonder......if Linus has an i7-9900(doesn't have to be K) that he has dropped several times......if he would part with it lol.  Love that my laptop takes desktop chips.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

spacer.png

Ahhh there I am 5491st! It’s the taking part that counts haha 😂

i think it may be time to replace the 8 year  laptop so something with more power. 

The i7-2670QM and GT540M were kicking out some serious heat whilst folding!

good work to everyone!

56 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I looked into getting a used Tesla card but those prices are still absurdly high. Even the older Grid K1 is still above $200 but the specs don't look awful for the wattage used...right? Ooo there's a few for under $200. Bad deal?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/grid-k1.c1699

Apparently Tesla cards won't work for folding. This according to one person on the folding@home forum:

[EDIT: others have contradicted this with evidence; newer Tesla cards apparently fold no problem.]

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=324404#p324404

No Tesla card can fold, (Core_15 was a good Tesla Core) It does not support OpenCL 1.2. If it could fold, it could not make deadlines. (today's entry level GT 1030 is about twice as fast as 2008's professional card)

I was asking why my Quadro FX 4800, whose machine I had taken the time to dust off and update the OS on just for this, was being refused work units.

The GPU list there, https://apps.foldingathome.org/GPUs.txt, is a bit confusing. It is not a whitelist. You find your card on there, it just means it has been tested. Here's the entry for Quadro FX 4800:

0x10de:0x05fe:::GT200GL [Quadro FX 4800]

I assumed from the way people talked about it, without explanation, that that meant it was good to use. In fact, if there's no number (or a zero) in between the second, third, and fourth colons, that means the card can't do useful work for the folding project, as is the case here. It's way too subtle, and if you search for information about it, people on the forum will refer you to the list as a whitelist. If it has a nonzero quantity in those two fields, you should be good to go, though, from what I understand. My GTX670 has been churning away all month.

2 minutes ago, hammerquill said:

Apparently Tesla cards won't work for folding. This according to one person on the folding@home forum:

Definitely not true. There were several people, including myself, that used Cloud VM instances running Tesla Cards, I saw everything from K80s to V100s folding perfectly well.

No idea on the really old cards (pre-2014)

F@H    EOC

9 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Definitely not true. There were several people, including myself, that used Cloud VM instances running Tesla Cards, I saw everything from K80s to V100s folding perfectly well.

No idea on the really old cards (pre-2014)

Okay. I hadn't checked his statement against any newer cards in the architecture. Have edited post to reflect your info.

9 minutes ago, John Anti said:

I ended up on place 945.. that was unexpected but i was warm the whole time :)

Yeah, 550sqft condo tended to get on the warm side.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Hi, how can I sign up for this event and when does it start? 

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Hi, how can I sign up for this event and when does it start? 

I will actually ban you. 

/s

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I will actually ban you. 

/s

You've no idea how much I wish you would.

Well everyone, I opened up the zoidberger for surgery, and it is now recovered with 10 degrees C CPU temp improvement on stressing!  WOOBWOOBWOOBWOOB!

IMG_5643.PNG

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5639.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

4 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Well everyone, I opened up the zoidberger for surgery, and it is now recovered with 10 degrees C CPU temp improvement on stressing!  WOOBWOOBWOOBWOOB!

Spoiler

IMG_5643.PNGIMG_5637.jpgIMG_5639.jpgIMG_5641.jpg

.....I have him folding again :) :) 

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

.....I have him folding again :) :) 

That is one phat GPU and CPU cooler pair there.

And so that small carte in there, noice? Can't quite convince myself to pull the trigger (well can"t quite convince my wife 😋)

BOINC - F@H

Just now, Inkertus said:

That is one phat GPU and CPU cooler pair there.

I am air cool low maintenance type of guy.  That cleaning was the first one its ever gotten, and it was built when 9900k launched.  Honestly biggest issue was the screws holding the mounts to the backplate were all 1/4 turn loose;  tightened those, new paste, dust blown, and 1 hr later it is ice cold!  And folding some more :) 

why my name doesn t show on the stats list? 

Where's the final stats?

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

4 minutes ago, jojowater said:

why my name doesn t show on the stats list?

Did you sign up?

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Did you sign up?

yes. jojowater

Thanks everyone for the folding.  It was interesting to see how my new machine worked under full loads.  Great Job to everyone who participated!

Just now, jojowater said:

yes. jojowater

It's there, use ctrl + f to find it.

1868 jojowater 71,934 701,367 3,443,553 0.00% 0.01% 0.01%