LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Jordan Johnson-Verburg said:

Is the 3D visualization viewer broken?

I only see it cycling through Demo snapshots and not what is currently being worked on.  I don't need it of course, but thought it'd be cool to see what protein simulation was being worked on similarly to Berkeley's Boinc - Rosetta@home viewer/screensaver. 

https://gist.github.com/alfanhui/fd69de8354047609fad5ebbef829eb94

Follow that for a fix

Aorus X570 Xtreme | Ryzen 3900X | Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme  | G.Skill Trident Z 64GB 3200 MHz  CL14

Just now, jctappel67 said:

It doesn't work atm

I believe they mentioned it wouldn't work for certain jobs but assured us important calculations were being done anyway.  Think it was regarding chemical interactions instead of atomic-level motion calcs.

10 minutes ago, walderston said:

you don't need to set it to static. 

The IP will only change if the VM restarts and most likely you'll get the same IP back. 

I don't see any point in making it more difficult. Just set static IP and forget it. Anyhow, you would also need to add VPC network firewall rules in Google Cloud settings.

9 minutes ago, Guellan said:

So I found if you go to iCloud store, there is a nvidia quadro virtual workstation image...no need to install drivers and it runs on ubuntu.

Now for the question...how do I set the "Advanced" flag in the command line?

On Ubuntu, you modify the FAH config file:

sudo nano /etc/fahclient/config.xml

so it looks like this:

<!-- Client Control -->
  <fold-anon v='false'/>
  <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='true'/>
  <client-type v='advanced'/>
  <!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>
  <!-- Work Unit Control -->
  <next-unit-percentage v='90'/>
  <!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='yourpasskey_should_already_be_here'/>
  <team v='223518'/>
  <user v='YourUsername'/>
  <!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>

next-unit-percentage I recommend to set to 90 with how slow the downloads are from many servers. It will download the next WU when current reaches 90% completetion. Second GPU is added via    <slot id='2' type='GPU'/>    etc. Save file to same name, same location.

1 hour ago, ShortRouter said:

Well since some of the top folders are using the ifrastructure of some datacenter they work at for folding and folding in the cloud is not prohibited...

Not against folding in the cloud, but violating the cloud providers' terms to get more then you're allowed to..

1 hour ago, Macaw2000 said:

My hope is that people here who are dabbling in cloud, use this time to learn better cloud skills and up their game. If you want to make the big bucks, learn to cloud and learn to automate the cloud!

Yup, but you don't need multiple accounts for that.

The terms of use of folding@home actually require that you have the permission of the hardware owner to use it before you fold on it. If multiple accounts are against the TOS of the provider then that would equate as not having the permission of the hardware owner.

Definitely should be taken into account for eligibility to the event rewards and ranking.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Not against folding in the cloud, but violating the cloud providers' terms to get more then you're allowed to..

Yup, but you don't need multiple accounts for that.

The terms of use of folding@home actually require that you have the permission of the hardware owner to use it before you fold on it. If multiple accounts are against the TOS of the provider then that would equate as not having the permission of the hardware owner.

Definitely should be taken into account for eligibility to the event rewards and ranking.

I'm about to violate LTT forum account rules to upvote this more. ;)

4 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

On Ubuntu, you modify the FAH config file:

sudo nano /etc/fahclient/config.xml

so it looks like this:

<!-- Client Control -->
  <fold-anon v='false'/>
  <!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='true'/>
  <client-type v='advanced'/>
  <!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>
  <!-- Work Unit Control -->
  <next-unit-percentage v='90'/>
  <!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='yourpasskey_should_already_be_here'/>
  <team v='223518'/>
  <user v='YourUsername'/>
  <!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>

next-unit-percentage I recommend to set to 90 with how slow the downloads are from many servers. It will download the next WU when current reaches 90% completetion. Second GPU is added via    <slot id='2' type='GPU'/>    etc.

Thanks. I have the 4 T4 GPU's added already, was just wanting to make sure they stay fed till friday. Looking like $1.44/hr.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x, MB: Aorus X470 Gaming 5 WiFi, RAM:32 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4000 @ 3600 16-16-16-36

GFX: Aorus GTX 1080, Storage: 512GB Samsung 970 EVO and 1TB Seagate FIreCuda, PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Corsair 460X white, Cooler:Corsair H110i Pro.

LINK TO MY FOLDING STATS

I guess i have to start another instance to have 2 v100 or 4 P4's ?

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

Windows 11 Professional Version 22H2

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

5 minutes ago, Guellan said:

Thanks. I have the 4 T4 GPU's added already, was just wanting to make sure they stay fed till friday. Looking like $1.44/hr.

I'm sure it's awesome PPD for the money. What region did have those T4s available? I gave up and went with 2x P100 but it's roundabout 2.5 € per hour.. I'd probably have to remove the dual P100 first to migrate because I only requested max 4 GPU total.

@El_Psy_CoNGR00 The panels are expected to show up by Tuesday. 😀  Looking forward to those relatively frigid temps. 🥶 Might even try stock settings instead of the underclocked/volted I'm running now.

8 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

I'm sure it's awesome PPD for the money. What region did have those T4s available? I gave up and went with 2x P100 but it's roundabout 2.5 € per hour.. I'd probably have to remove the dual P100 first to migrate because I only requested max 4 GPU total.

us-east1-c

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x, MB: Aorus X470 Gaming 5 WiFi, RAM:32 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4000 @ 3600 16-16-16-36

GFX: Aorus GTX 1080, Storage: 512GB Samsung 970 EVO and 1TB Seagate FIreCuda, PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Corsair 460X white, Cooler:Corsair H110i Pro.

LINK TO MY FOLDING STATS

Guys a positive note:

My hospital is turning a corner it seems.  The curve seems to be flattening (our town social distanced early and the town shut down pretty well), we have a good buffer of ICU beds, and it seems like the hospital is not overwhelmed and will not be as our cases are not jumping up the way they were at first.  We have enough PPE, tests, and vents to sustain this current rate.

We have a backup make-shift ICU that we havent even had to use because the actual ICU still has a few beds and vents (and there is a second good size ICU that has some more vents and beds)

If everything stays on track in my city and we keep it up, we likely will NOT be overwhelmed and have vent beds for all who need it.

Dont get me wrong, there are a lot of covid cases, and some of them are pretty nasty, and they have pushed our resources a bit.  But we havent been pushed to the point of being overwhelmed due to everyone jumping in roles to fill needs.

To be seeing it improve from the inside there, and the outside folding with you all has been awesome.  Lets keep it up, and keep it going after the event (there will still be plenty of research needed and proteins to fold with coronavirus when this event ends!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Just now, Zberg said:

Guys a positive note:

My hospital is turning a corner it seems.  The curve seems to be flattening (our town social distanced early and the town shut down pretty well), we have a good buffer of ICU beds, and it seems like the hospital is not overwhelmed and will not be as our cases are not jumping up the way they were at first.  We have enough PPE, tests, and vents to sustain this current rate.

We have a backup make-shift ICU that we havent even had to use because the actual ICU still has a few beds and vents (and there is a second good size ICU that has some more vents and beds)

If everything stays on track in my city and we keep it up, we likely will NOT be overwhelmed and have vent beds for all who need it.

Dont get me wrong, there are a lot of covid cases, and some of them are pretty nasty, and they have pushed our resources a bit.  But we havent been pushed to the point of being overwhelmed due to everyone jumping in roles to fill needs.

To be seeing it improve from the inside there, and the outside folding with you all has been awesome.  Lets keep it up, and keep it going after the event (there will still be plenty of research needed and proteins to fold with coronavirus when this event ends!

a caveat, this is one city, and they are ALL different.  Be careful, social distance, and wash your damn hands!

doing 2.2 to 2.3 mil ppd.. I came in late but i got from 960 to 606 in a day, which is nice. I'm nearly at 100 mil overall now :)

4 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

Damn Default just overtook for points today.   ☹️

I have noticed today is the first day in about 4 days I have had to pause/unpause so much to keep WU going.  For a good while it was going non stop always starting the next one as soon as it finished.  Today I have come up 3 times to the PC sitting idle with no WU and had to refresh 5 times to get a WU.  My points are down a little.  Maybe the WU are drying up a little

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I have noticed today is the first day in about 4 days I have had to pause/unpause so much to keep WU going.  For a good while it was going non stop always starting the next one as soon as it finished.  Today I have come up 3 times to the PC sitting idle with no WU and had to refresh 5 times to get a WU.  My points are down a little.  Maybe the WU are drying up a little

The servers say the assign rate is 133,488.00/hr 

Just now, marknd59 said:

Having said that when I look again 2/3 of those are CPU

I dont know if that rate is good or bad.  My CPU has always been able to get WU but they are always tiny.  My GPU (both systems) have been going non stop for a good bit of days, but seems like today that stopped.  Maybe ill change client-type to advanceD?

Now were really cooking:

spacer.png

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah I was struggling to get CPUs too, it said 0 availability even when I selected 16.  They make it WAY too hard to just setup a VM when it honestly doesn't matter WHERE its located.

If you don't want to upgrade your account or look at quotas, then yes... It's hard.

But it's rather easy if you just give it a few seconds. Region usually makes a lot of sense. In this situation you just want any GPU in any region, and they have limited GPUs right now, I know that's annoying. But this kind of usage is not what Google Cloud or any cloud is about.

Try Azure, you'd be just as annoyed with them! Just looked, I can't even find all regions in the quota tab, so I'd have to make a support ticket and wait for human response.

I just tried to make a Google Cloud preemptible instance with 4 T4's... Failed in US, succeeded in EU. And I could even clone it a few times... I don't have credits though, so I'll be terminating them again.

3 minutes ago, GalaxyNetworks said:

If you don't want to upgrade your account or look at quotas, then yes... It's hard.

But it's rather easy if you just give it a few seconds. Region usually makes a lot of sense. In this situation you just want any GPU in any region, and they have limited GPUs right now, I know that's annoying. But this kind of usage is not what Google Cloud or any cloud is about.

Try Azure, you'd be just as annoyed with them! Just looked, I can't even find all regions in the quota tab, so I'd have to make a support ticket and wait for human response.

I just tried to make a Google Cloud preemptible instance with 4 T4's... Failed in US, succeeded in EU. And I could even clone it a few times... I don't have credits though, so I'll be terminating them again.

As you see above, I folded (pun intended). 🤦‍♂️😛

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

I didnt dare to look at the rankings since the weekend but im pleasantly suprised \ ^ -^/
also @Macaw2000 you crazy [expletive redacted] xD
you werent kidding when you said you where going to flex your AWS muscles you werent kidding, huh?

I'm only able to have 1 GPU per instance, is there anyway of changing that?

My Folding Stats

My BOINC Stats

VelosterN:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 32GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 6750 XT OC

Corsair Crystal Series 680x RGB - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB NVMe - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe - Samsung 860 Pro 256 GB 2.5" SSD X2

EVGA P2 80+ Platinum 850Watt PSU - BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Corsair K70 LUX - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Sennheiser HD599 - Blue Yeti Mic

BettyBoop:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB - Asus ROG Strix Gaming 5500 XT - Fractal Design Core 500

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB Sata - EVGA 550GM 80+ Gold 550Watt SFX PSU - be quiet! Dark Rock 4

HTPC:

Intel i7 6700K - Asus Maximus Hero VIII - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 16GB - MSI RX480 Gaming-X 8GB - Cooler Master 932 HAF

Seagate 250GB HDD - EVGA G2 80+ Gold 650Watt PSU - Corsair H100i

Windows 10 Professional Version 21H2

Just now, HaRdLy007 said:

I'm only able to have 1 GPU per instance, is there anyway of changing that?

See a few pages back.