LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Found them on twitter!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

LTT Active users:

image.png.e959475ee33152bb546b4a3ab3515256.png

PCMR Active users:

image.png.0ea20541b2e7ce4d43f82bad2c6f4ec9.png

It looks like all of them promos aren't really helping!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I check on my main system for the first time today, and look at these beauties! I usually see it idle. Happy days!

Screenshot_970.png.a3fed60baf0586554b1d1977fd747958.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, marknd59 said:

You should just go tell them our super computer is better than theirs

LMFAO, 'Mines bigger than yours ;)' Kinda deal... Interesting technique 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Community, tell me if these seems like an accurate assessment and solution:

Came into work this AM, PC was off (another night of lost productivity, sigh).  Normal LED's off.  Power button would not turn on PC until I unplugged PSU and replugged.  

Ran FAH for an hour (full GPU/CPU), but turned off, same thing, normal LED's that stay lit were off, and power button would not turn on, until I unplugged PSU and replugged.

I personally think the PSU rating/efficiency isnt high enough for whats in it.  2700x/2080ti.  On paper it seems the inwin PSU should cover it, but I suspect it just truly isnt "650 gold" (old inwin a1 used to be bronze rated, but this one is supposed to be gold, but who knows).  

Anyways, what I did was stop CPU WU's for now and just doing GPU WU's, and lowered the power to 96% and the clocks slightly.  It seems stable so far...

To those who know more than me, does this seem like the right diagnosis/solution? What would you do in this scenario? (of course other than getting a new PSU, which will be my next step)

Thanks in advance.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

LTT Active users:

Spoiler

image.png.e959475ee33152bb546b4a3ab3515256.png

PCMR Active users:

Spoiler

image.png.0ea20541b2e7ce4d43f82bad2c6f4ec9.png

It looks like all of them promos aren't really helping!

Our comparatively meteoric rise beginning was their last good day and in the 7 day time frame after that we went up 2.5x as much as they did.  We must have poached a good number of their members.

11 minutes ago, Favebook said:

stuff

Added them, sorry!

5 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Ran FAH for an hour (full GPU/CPU), but turned off, same thing, normal LED's that stay lit were off, and power button would not turn on, until I unplugged PSU and replugged.

Sounds like PSU issue indeed. Either it's overloaded or overheating. Check filters and dust. 

Or you have other stability issues. Certainly not folding on CPU is a good solution since it removes a high draw, low efficiency component out of the equation...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Came into work this AM, PC was off (another night of lost productivity, sigh).  Normal LED's off.  Power button would not turn on PC until I unplugged PSU and replugged.  

I personally think the PSU rating/efficiency isnt high enough for whats in it.  2700x/2080ti.  On paper it seems the inwin PSU should cover it, but I suspect it just truly isnt "650 gold" (old inwin a1 used to be bronze rated, but this one is supposed to be gold, but who knows).  

Anyways, what I did was stop CPU WU's for now and just doing GPU WU's, and lowered the power to 96% and the clocks slightly.  It seems stable so far...

To those who know more than me, does this seem like the right diagnosis/solution? What would you do in this scenario? (of course other than getting a new PSU, which will be my next step)

Thanks in advance.

PSU rating/efficiency has noting to do with it and 650W is should be enough for 2080 Ti and 2700x.

I'd say that CPU was unstable (happens on my 1700x as well), so you better continue without CPU and earn 24/7 on GPU than have problems like these...

If you actually care about Power Usage, I'd recommend you to go between 75% and 95% on PL for 2080 Ti and leave it on stock or OC by something small (up to +50 CC and +100 MC if card is not factory OC-ed).

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

2 minutes ago, n0:name said:

Added them, sorry!

Thank you SIR!

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

7 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Thanks in advance.

Dunno if it's gonna be relevant or not - but I had this problem with my main system for a while - all to discover it was due to the USB 3.0 controller.  Unplugged it from the mobo and haven't had a problem since.  Also confirmed later on when I tried to reconnect it thinking all was well.

two fans still weren't enough hit 92C on temp ended up having to take side panel and front panel off also, now under load sitting at 72C might need better flow in the case... regardless its been swamping me most of the day today pretty darn constant making that 2080TI and 3950X work for it!!

54 minutes ago, Inversion said:

This may be it. Although I've never had this sort of crashing happening with this OC while rendering video or anything which I've done on this PC for years.

As @GOTSpectrum said even a normally stable overclock can cause small error in FAH that can get a WU to fail, unless you have tested and checked the logs over a longer period of time I would turn back or off the overclock whenever folding.

10 minutes ago, Atreiumontoya said:

two fans still weren't enough hit 92C on temp ended up having to take side panel and front panel off also, now under load sitting at 72C might need better flow in the case... 

What case is it?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

39 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

Great advice except the Windows native TELNET client is broken and does not understand Unix CR/LF translations

Install WSL.. optional package with Windows. It is native unix and works just fine.

16 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Sounds like PSU issue indeed. Either it's overloaded or overheating. Check filters and dust. 

Or you have other stability issues. Certainly not folding on CPU is a good solution since it removes a high draw, low efficiency component out of the equation...

15 minutes ago, Favebook said:

PSU rating/efficiency has noting to do with it and 650W is should be enough for 2080 Ti and 2700x.

I'd say that CPU was unstable (happens on my 1700x as well), so you better continue without CPU and earn 24/7 on GPU than have problems like these...

If you actually care about Power Usage, I'd recommend you to go between 75% and 95% on PL for 2080 Ti and leave it on stock or OC by something small (up to +50 CC and +100 MC if card is not factory OC-ed).

Agreed 650W should be just fine for the combo, was just wondering if inwin is truly putting a janky PSU in there and calling it something its not, but I am just grasping at reasons.  Ill def be continuing on GPU only until the event is over then playing around to see how to keep it from happening.

Appreciate the responses all.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

What case is it?

DEEPCOOL MATREXX 70 ADD-RGB 3F Mid-Tower Case

1 minute ago, Atreiumontoya said:

If I'm looking at the right pictures no wonder it was overheating.  That thing is a glass box! Where's the ventilation?

1 hour ago, damnfinecoffee said:

Sorry, I posted the wrong IP's. These are the one's being blocked:

Yeah, as far as I can tell these don't seem to be used by FAH. However I can't be 100% certain, at least one of them seems to be running some sort of completely unrelated website, the other one doesn't have anything on it to support the conjecture that it's running for the FAH network. To me these seem to be unrelated IP blocks. Neither of them is mentioned on the FAH server list or their collection servers.

In conclusion it's highly unlikely that these have anything to do with FAH, I would guess that the problem is somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

If I'm looking at the right pictures no wonder it was overheating.  That thing is a glass box! Where's the ventilation?

there are vents all along both sides about 1.5 inches a piece, its not perfect but i never intended to be folding with it when i got this it was for show lol  now however since i will likely be folding from now on I might look into a new case once the event is over

5 minutes ago, Atreiumontoya said:

4 minutes ago, Inkertus said:

Where's the ventilation?

It's on the side, but Deepcool makes the same decision every RGB and glass case marking team does and puts the fans too close to the glass making the side vents essentialy useless. 

Try moving the fans to the inside of the case frame (Still intaking air), that should at least get you cooler temps (Probably not 72ºC cool though). 

Spoiler

11-853-070-V24.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Yup that's one of those cases where the front fans are for decoration only... side vents WAY too small and fans too close to the glass.

Remove just the front glass panel and you should be good.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2